Which team matchup would cause the most chaos on HFBoards?

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
ECF
Toronto v Florida
WCF
Saint Louis/Arizona v Winnipeg

Stanley Cup
STL/ARI v FLA

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Toronto vs Montreal
Toronto vs islanders
Florida vs Arizona
Ottawa vs San Jose
Boston vs Montreal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Leafs-Isles, because if the Isles won it would basically mean the Leafs kept the wrong guy to run the show and that would have implications long-term. :rolleyes:

Reactions: dukeofjive

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Ultimate **** storm:

It’s game 7 in Toronto. Stanley cup finals. 19 minutes deep into double OT in a 0-0 game. Matthews has the puck on a 3-1. He gets pulled down from behind by Draisaitl in a quite obvious penalty. The refs don’t call it, McDavid grabs the puck, wheels up the ice and buries it in on a breakaway. McDavid raises the cup for Edmonton, in Toronto.

I don’t think there is a scenario that would cause more of an uproar on this site.
Larsson instead of Draisaitl would be better.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Jets vs. Pens, Bruins, or Leafs.

Flames don't count because most of them aren't on HF.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
East: Leafs vs. Canadiens, Bruins, Flyers, Pens, or Caps
West: Oilers vs. Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Stars, or Avalanche

SCF: Any of the above, but ideally 1 of the Canadian teams vs. 1 of the American teams.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
the Leafs vs any Canadian team does it. It may look like Jets or Oilers right now, but if anyone thought the Canucks or Flames might make the finals they'd have most of the same sniping bullshit with Leaf fans that Jets fans do, and the Oilers don't even need to be any good because of McDavid.

Reactions: rfournier103

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I think the highly unlikely event of Toronto going deep into the playoffs against any team would send HFBoards spinning out of control.

Reactions: amethyst

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Penguins vs. Oilers: Crosby vs. McDavid, but since the majority of website "believes" that McDavid is better than Crosby for some odd reason, then some interesting arguments will be insured...

On an extra note, try to compare Crosby & McDavid's team chemistry & playing styles: Who's better offensively & defensively? Any special attributes/skills? Would they still succeed with different players or team systems/strategies?

it's okay to admit Sidney Crosby is 31 now. i know this is a lazy thing, but aren't his hero chart numberss basically like Tavares-level or a little below? it's still great. at 31 it's very great. he was one of the best few players ever. now he's just one of the best few players in the world. that's not even bad! McDavid is probably the best player since Mario. he's also almost exactly 22, which means he's about to enter his real peak. Sid in his 30s not being as good as a kid that great at 22 isn't an insult.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
ECF
Toronto v Florida
WCF
Saint Louis/Arizona v Winnipeg

Stanley Cup
STL/ARI v FLA

This is interesting to me, because I get the "southern market vs Canadian market" thing, but my initial thought was that the Coyotes and Panthers are probably the two smallest fan-bases on HF. The California teams all have the same number of fans as basically any team that isn't one of the absolute biggest markets. So do the Stars. The Lightning and Hurricanes may not be *quite* there, but they're definitely a sizable group. Same goes for Columbus, I guess. We all know that in the time since we thought they'd move, the Predators have definitely *made it* (they were always a better market than Canadians thought, imho, but now that they're perennial contenders, they've gone nuts), and even Vegas has a big group now, and probably a decent handful of people who had fun with their inaugural season and have them as a secondary team or a western time zone viewing option. St. Louis is uhh southern-ish? Missouri feels southern, but St. Louis feels midwestern? Someone can fill me in, but they don't feel the same just because they've had a team forever and are probably the best organization that's never felt particularly close to a Cup (aside from maybe for a bit in the early 2000s, who get slept on, and are probably more of a "shit happens" thing a la Capitals/Sharks than actually a step below the Avalanche/Red Wings/Stars).

It's just the Panthers and Coyotes who I still only see a fan or two per day and I'm like "oh, yeah, those guys have fans, people care about them," but I don't think that's market specific. I think we all should've learned from Nashville, Columbus, and Carolina, or even just remembering the low points in attendance/ownership for the Sabres, Penguins, and Senators, who are all in fine markets but went through 4-5 year periods where we joked about them not having fans (don't get mad at me Sabres/Pens fans, it was 15 years ago). We harp on poor attendance for southern markets but at this point, everyone does fine as long as they aren't terrible and boring. If the Coyotes or Panthers made the playoffs (I am pretty high on both teams, actually), we'd probably see a lot more activity from them. I don't care about "growing the game" but I do roll my eyes at Canadian elitism (before you yell at me, I'm a Leaf fan who has spent maybe ten nights of my life outside of Toronto, and eight of them were in Ottawa, the other two were in Brooklyn), and I'd be interested to see what happens when those fanbases start logging on again, for sure.

Reactions: rfournier103

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Sabres-Leafs. If the Sabres win the series so many people will post the video of Jeanerett's call of the winning goal the site will crash.

This would be the 401:

tumblr_ndrvh35bP11ttwc1to1_400.gif

Reactions: sabremike

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm going to say Arizona Vs. Florida just because there would be such a lack of an uproar, that people would intentionally cause an uproar to balance it out.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Greatest chaos I could imagine would be the Leafs beating the Habs in 3OT in the ECF, Game 7, with some kind of questionable call or non-call being involved, and the Leafs then losing in the final to Seattle on a Cinderella run in their first season (since 1924 anyway)

It's not likely but just using my imagination given the Vegas surprise last year.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Florida v Tampa and Arizona v Vegas final 4. Would be hilarious to hear all of the folks griping about real hockey markets :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad