Which team has faced more adversity? [Pens or Preds?]

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
No doubt its the Preds. Penguins have had pretty much had their full roster intact sans Kris Letang. They have other guys to make up for him. Yeah they lost Rust, Maata and Hornqvist for a few games but that's nothing when you compare what they have left.

The Preds losses are much more significant when you look at the rest of their team.

-They Lost Fiala in game one of Round on a dirty hit by Bortuzzo which had malicious intent written all over it.

-Since the Opening faceoff of game 1 in the WCF Kesler repeatedly tries to injure Johansen every chance he gets.

-Josh Mason incapacitates Mike Fisher in game 4 of the Conference Finals on another dangerous play where he could simply let the puck drop instead of jumping forward and hitting Fisher in the head and cutting him with his skate afterwards.

After several attempts the Ducks succeed in eliminating Johansen on another needless play.

The Ducks wouldn't have even been in CF if the refs and linesmen were so anti in games 3 & 4 of that series.

You could probably say the about Pens and game 7 in their CF with Ottawa. A guy grts a breakaway and gets hacked and whacked by two opposing players and the ref calls nothing- that either idiocy or bribery!!!

They have other guys to make up for him? Letang? Kris Letang, French Canadian guy with great hair, that Kris Letang?

Absolutely. Frankly this is the first I even realized he was out.

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
The penguins have to play a different game without Letang. Everything has to change. They can still do it and be successful because of their up front talent... but if you take a forward away, even a crosby... the team with Letang can still play a certain way.

Without letang - everything has to change.

TimbitsHockey877*

Mar 21, 2016
Can losing Letang even be counted for Pittsburgh at this point? He's amazing when he's healthy, but he hasn't been consistently healthy for some time (which is a damn shame). So much so, that I automatically assume that he's injured and am surprised when I hear the news that he just got injured.

Letang seems a bit silly of an adversity point considering he's usually not playing anyway. It's not like he had had a great long season and boom game 1 he goes down or somethin'. Penguins are used to playing without him.

Pens fans are going to kill you guys but I agree. I've been saying for years we need to trade Letang. We won our only playoff game without him last year and got all the way to SCF this year. He's obviously not as big of a piece as some fans on here think.

What kills us is they could trade him for a player equal to his skill level and could be on the ice and not injured all the time. That's where I see the adversity. I would have taken Letang for PK straight up and you know the Habs would have done that but the Pens will never trade injured Letang for some reason.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Nashville

Wilson missed the entire CHI series.
Smith and Aberg missed the STL series. Fiala broke his femur in Game 1.
Smith and Fiala missed the ANH series with Joey and Fisher missing the last 2 games
Two top 6 forwards sustaining season ending (career threatening) injuries.
Have used 18 forwards so far!

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I would say Nashville just because of relative expectations. Even injured, Pens were expected to make a very deep run. Nashville were expected to get bounced in the first round, so it would be easier for even a relatively small piece of "adversity" to shake their confidence. But they got a lot more than a small amount of adversity and kept winning.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Predators by a country mile. They've had to go through Chicago, St. Louis and Anaheim and they've done it as a 16th seed. Meanwhile everyone's trashing Ottawa about what an easy team they are, that DC is a bunch of chokers and the CBJ proved that their unbeaten streak is what got them into the playoffs. Fiala broke his leg and Nashville is down their best forward. And now to win the damn thing they gotta face the team with the 2nd best record in the league who also happen to be the defending champions. The Penguins are missing Letang from their ridiculously stacked roster and had to deal with MAF remembering he's MAF so then the Pens deferred to their to other Stanley Cup winning goaltender.

How is this even a discussion?

Penguins have dealt with more injuries but in the context of adversity it has not hindered them.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No doubt its the Preds. Penguins have had pretty much had their full roster intact sans Kris Letang. They have other guys to make up for him. Yeah they lost Rust, Maata and Hornqvist for a few games but that's nothing when you compare what they have left.

The Preds losses are much more significant when you look at the rest of their team.

Uhh what?

Letang (out for the year)
Schultz (5 GMS)
Ruhwedel (3 GMS)
Hornqvist (6 GMS)
Daley (4 GMS)
Hagelin (8 GMS)
Rust (2 GMS)
Wilson (4 GMS)
Kunitz (5 GMS)
Corsby (2 GMS)
Sheary (2 GMS)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Uhh what?

Letang (out for the year)
Schultz (5 GMS)
Ruhwedel (3 GMS)
Hornqvist (6 GMS)
Daley (4 GMS)
Hagelin (8 GMS)
Rust (2 GMS)
Wilson (4 GMS)
Kunitz (5 GMS)
Corsby (2 GMS)
Sheary (2 GMS)

Those are not important players to the Pens though. Scrubs one and all.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
OMG please let the ******* game start already. Just another pissing contest thread about who's **** is longer.

Both teams have faced adversity of varying degrees. You can debate and debate until the cows come home, but until either team skates a mile in the other's boots there will never be a definitive answer.

Preds have guys hurt....so do the Pens. We can argue who is more important to their team, but in actuality they have all been important for one reason or another or they wouldn't have been in the lineup.

Both teams had to play the best teams in their respective conferences to get here. Draw

The only adversity that is not up for debate is that Nashville has had to play every series on the road. And even in that I'm not sure it's been adversity. I think it has actually allowed Nashville to get their heads in the game and limit the distractions more on the road than it would at home. So even that has not been adversity.

All I can say is thank God the games start tomorrow night and we'll all have something like actual hockey games to **** and moan about.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
OMG please let the ******* game start already. Just another pissing contest thread about who's **** is longer.

Both teams have faced adversity of varying degrees. You can debate and debate until the cows come home, but until either team skates a mile in the other's boots there will never be a definitive answer.

Preds have guys hurt....so do the Pens. We can argue who is more important to their team, but in actuality they have all been important for one reason or another or they wouldn't have been in the lineup.

Both teams had to play the best teams in their respective conferences to get here. Draw

The only adversity that is not up for debate is that Nashville has had to play every series on the road. And even in that I'm not sure it's been adversity. I think it has actually allowed Nashville to get their heads in the game and limit the distractions more on the road than it would at home. So even that has not been adversity.

All I can say is thank God the games start tomorrow night and we'll all have something like actual hockey games to **** and moan about.
Pens are going to be awarded 3 Cups after they beat us. The Winner on Paper Cup, the Most Adversity on Paper Cup and then the actual Cup. But really, why even bother with the latter at this point, the guesswork has already been done for us.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Pens are going to be awarded 3 Cups after they beat us. The Winner on Paper Cup, the Most Adversity on Paper Cup and then the actual Cup. But really, why even bother with the latter at this point, the guesswork has already been done for us.

Yeah, who needs the actual Cup when you've won those 2 more important ones?:facepalm:

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
Not up for debate?? Maybe the other way around, sure.....

The Blackhawks were FAVORED TO WIN THE CUP going into the playoffs.

Again I love how just because the Preds played an incredible series that all of a sudden the Blackhawks are some below .500 lightweight....

Again- Hawks/Blues/Ducks is every bit as tough as Jackets/Caps/Senators

In fact, if the Preds had to play the playoffs over again I think I would rather face their schedule.

This. When we beat Chicago the talk was about how big and fast St Louis was and that we would never make it past them. Then it was the Ducks that were no joke and everyone was calling for them to easily blow us out and go to the Finals. It seems like after every series we just beat a nobody team and it's no big deal. **** that.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014

QFT.

The Preds lost Johansen - who might not be as good at his position is than Letang is at his, but the Preds are weakest at this position.

The Pens don't have Letang for the entire playoffs - who might not be as good a player as Malkin or Crosby, but the Pens are weakest at this position.

Both teams are dealing with crap injury luck and lots of adversity.... ok?

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Preds.

Funny part is, I watched pretty much every PIT game this playoffs b/c they're entertaining. Getting pass CBJ I expected, WSH I did not. Especially without Letang, and going up against the Caps roster this year which was also stacked. Just goes to show how hungry PIT is to repeat as champs. OTT was a battle in itself, one which I though PIT would win even though as a Canadian, I was bias to cheer for OTT. This series could've gone either way.

But, the Preds beat the Hawks. Pretty much dummied that team, a team who I would have bet on to win the SC. Than STL, a big, strong, fast ... pretty much a western conference typical team. Hard, grind game. NSH beat them too, now ANA I did not think NSH could beat. ANA is the only team, other than CHI that I would've placed money on to win the SC. Again NSH found a way to win.

If I had to make some sort of rough rank of the eliminated teams:

CHI
WSH
ANA
STL/OTT/CBJ

Again, I'd say the Preds, based solely on my own personal opinion of their opponents.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
Preds.

Funny part is, I watched pretty much every PIT game this playoffs b/c they're entertaining. Getting pass CBJ I expected, WSH I did not. Especially without Letang, and going up against the Caps roster this year which was also stacked. Just goes to show how hungry PIT is to repeat as champs. OTT was a battle in itself, one which I though PIT would win even though as a Canadian, I was bias to cheer for OTT. This series could've gone either way.

But, the Preds beat the Hawks. Pretty much dummied that team, a team who I would have bet on to win the SC. Than STL, a big, strong, fast ... pretty much a western conference typical team. Hard, grind game. NSH beat them too, now ANA I did not think NSH could beat. ANA is the only team, other than CHI that I would've placed money on to win the SC. Again NSH found a way to win.

If I had to make some sort of rough rank of the eliminated teams:

CHI
WSH
ANA
STL/OTT/CBJ

Again, I'd say the Preds, based solely on my own personal opinion of their opponents.

I just didn't understand what everyone saw in Chicago. No depth on that team and they were clearly outmatched by the Preds on paper.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
I just didn't understand what everyone saw in Chicago. No depth on that team and they were clearly outmatched by the Preds on paper.

For sure, on paper I take the Preds b/c personally I rate Def > Off.

But.. CHI is a different animal in the playoffs, they're beast. Having watched Kane/Toews in their prime (09-15) rip other teams in the playoffs is what separates CHI from most teams in the league. Those two alone, can change a game in a single shift. It's terrifying if you're desperately holding onto a lead, in the final 30 sec in your zone and you have Kane or Toews with the puck. They may snipe it, pass it, have some stupid luck play work for them.. their patience is unreal they've been there done that x100.

Did they do that this year against the Preds? No.. but if these two teams versed again, next year, exact same roster. I would still favour Chi, followed very closely by NSH. Kane/Toews are just too clutch, only other duo I take over them in the playoffs are Geno/Sid.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I feel like people have a different definition of adversity than I do. To me, facing Chicago is not "facing adversity" - It's playing a really good team. Adversity is losing your starting goalie in warm ups before game 1. Adversity is losing your #2 and #3 defensemen after your #1 is out for the entire playoffs. Adversity is watchig your captain lay motionless on the ice after being crosschecked in the face.

Preds have faced adversity too: injuries to Fisher, Johansen, and Fiala being at the top of the list. I think someone earlier stated it correctly: up to this point it's been the Pens by quite a lot, but if the Preds win the Cup, I will say them. Seems like the Pens have been getting healthy and have come through most of their issues, while the Preds are still figuring out how to deal with the adversity they will have to overcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad