Which team has faced more adversity? [Pens or Preds?]

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Pens missed their #1 dmen before the playoffs.
Pens lost their #1 goalie in the warmup of the 1st playoff game.
Pens lost their #1 center in the middle of Wsh series for one game and still won.
I dont know the stats but Pens have probably had the most injuries (lost man-games) in this season in all NHL.

This team is all about the adversity. The most resilient group of guys ive ever seen to be honest. Kudos to Sullivan, who seems to be very, very good on the mental side of things. They have seen a LOT, and Ottawa-series was again one more battle that they won.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pens lost their #1 center in the middle of Wsh series for one game and still won.
I dont know the stats but Pens have probably had the most injuries (lost man-games) in this season in all NHL.

This team is all about the adversity. The most resilient group of guys ive ever seen to be honest. Kudos to Sullivan, who seems to be very, very good on the mental side of things. They have seen a LOT, and Ottawa-series was again one more battle that they won.

We also missed Rust, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Ruhwedel, and Schultz for parts of this year's playoffs too in addition to Letang and Murray. Letang we didn't have at all.

If people want to know who faced more adversity, this one is a no contest. Pens have gone through some ridiculous injury issues and it's not even some conditioning crap or some stupid thing like that, just freak things.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I can't remember if we had the most man games lost, but we were in the top 3-5. Given that we were still the 2nd best team in the league over the regular season... that's pretty damn impressive. We had 8 regulars miss at least 20 games (Letang, Maatta, Rust, Malkin, Sheary, Hagelin, Daley & Kuhnhackl).

Here's the list of guys who've missed games in the playoffs so far. Given the quality of those players... that's pretty impressive seeing that they've made the finals.

Letang (out for the playoffs)
Schultz (5 GMS)* technically only 4 games... but got hurt 5 shifts into the game
Ruhwedel (3 GMS)
Hornqvist (6 GMS)
Daley (4 GMS)
Hagelin (8 GMS)
Rust (2 GMS)
Wilson (4 GMS)
Kunitz (5 GMS)
Corsby (2 GMS)* technically only 1 game... but got hurt 3 shifts into the game
Sheary (2 GMS)

Last edited:

MoeManthaMustache

Aug 21, 2007
Letang seems a bit silly of an adversity point considering he's usually not playing anyway. It's not like he had had a great long season and boom game 1 he goes down or somethin'. Penguins are used to playing without him.

They are, but he is a catalyst in this offense. For 25 minutes he controls the flow out of the zone... and the things that he can do allow the forwards to press and use their speed closer to the opponent's net.

The team can play a different game with him in the lineup.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
If Johansen was in the lineup, I'd definitely say that the Preds will win. It seems to me that Pittsburgh thinks that they can coast through another the Cup.

Last year was 6 games vs San Jose. This series will go to 7, I'm very sure.

What???

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Preds fan saying the Pens have faced a bit more adversity during their run.

However, too many posters are saying the Preds only had to overcome Johansen's injury...

At times and for stretches they've been without...

Ryan Johansen
Mike Fisher
Kevin Fiala
Craig Smith
Pontus Aberg
Miikka Salomaki

The injuries to Johansen and Fiala have cause the team to change their whole approach to the game from attacking with speed to all out defense and hope for a counter attack here and there, which will definitely have to be the plan against the Penguins.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
HF in 2016: Letang was robbed of the Conn Smythe! He was crucial to the Penguins and they don't win without him!

Also HF, in 2017: I mean do they even miss Letang? I just assume he's always injured LMAO. When has he ever helped them??

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
If Johansen was in the lineup, I'd definitely say that the Preds will win. It seems to me that Pittsburgh thinks that they can coast through another the Cup.

Last year was 6 games vs San Jose. This series will go to 7, I'm very sure.

Please just stop. The bolded is ridiculous. You're trying to start a narrative and there is no basis for it.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I didn't know it was a contest.

On top of the Adversity Cup, Louis Vuitton is going to show up and do a "Who wore it better" regarding the yellow. The commissioner has cancelled the anthem contest because his favorite team didn't have a shot this year.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Please just stop. The bolded is ridiculous. You're trying to start a narrative and there is no basis for it.

Is it really a Pens series if the other team doesn't position themselves as an aggrieved scrappy underdog hero just trying to get by against the evil empire (while also somehow maintaining the notion that their team is much better than the Penguins and will without a doubt beat them)?

This is the same **** everyone else tried to pull, including the President's Trophy winners, the WCF winners last year, the team that had just been to the SCF the year before, a completely healthy 100+ point team, and a relatively healthy team that had the easiest schedule in the playoffs.

Everyone is a lovable little underdog facing off against the Goliath (that doesn't have its 1D and has missed key players every single playoff game), and oh yeah they're totally going to beat them because the Pens suck. It's incredible.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why are people pointing to Chi as a cup contender but ignoring the Presidents winner as a contender?

That's... weird.

SlapshotMe

Sep 21, 2015
I really don't want to hear about Penguin injuries unless that player is Crosby or Malkin. The Predators lost their best player.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I really don't want to hear about Penguin injuries unless that player is Crosby or Malkin. The Predators lost their best player.

Then I don't want to hear about how the Preds defense will crush the Pens because they have four Erik Karlssons and the Pens are icing a beer league defense in comparison.

You can't have it both ways.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Ya that Letang guy only logged 30 mins a night last playoffs and scored the cup winning goal.

No big loss.

SlapshotMe

Sep 21, 2015
Ya that Letang guy only logged 30 mins a night last playoffs and scored the cup winning goal.

No big loss.

Letang season points: 34
RJo season points: 61

Yep, by comparison no big loss. Agree there. Unless you lose one of your top 2 you're fine.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

No big loss.

It is one of the biggest reasons why up until three games ago when Sully cracked Boucher's system like an egg shell and Boucher had no counter that the Pens had been outshot in every game but one. Washington had 50 percent more shots than the Pens. Sully has done an amazing job making up for the loss, but to minimize how important a healthy Letang is to the Pens as many do in this thread is mind boggling.

SlapshotMe

Sep 21, 2015
Then I don't want to hear about how the Preds defense will crush the Pens because they have four Erik Karlssons and the Pens are icing a beer league defense in comparison.

You can't have it both ways.

We got outplayed in both games without RJo, unless this Sissons thing is more than a flash in the pan I expect to lose.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Letang season points: 34
RJo season points: 61

Yep, by comparison no big loss. Agree there. Unless you lose one of your top 2 you're fine.

Because Letang had nothing to do with all the points Malkin and Crosby scored. It's not like he's the biggest possession driver on the team or anything.

Hockey is tough for you to think about beyond a very basic level, isn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00