Which team has faced more adversity? [Pens or Preds?]

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Granted that Nashville hasn't played anybody as tough as the Washington Capitals roster is (on paper). But they have sustained two critical forward injuries in Fiala and Johansen and still have beat every opposing team in less than six games.

While in Pittsburgh, losing Letang does suck and letting Capitals take it to a game 7 is iffy. However, they have battle backed every time, still have both of their best players healthy, and are quite consistent in close game situations.

So, in the end which team has faced more adversity to have that "it" factor to come back in games, sustain the lead, and close off close games both in regular and in marathon-long overtime for the Finals?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Granted that Nashville hasn't played anybody as tough as the Washington Capitals roster is (on paper).But they have sustained two critical forward injuries in Fiala and Johansen and still have beat every opposing team in less than six games.

While in Pittsburgh, losing Letang does suck and letting Capitals take it to a game 7 is iffy. However, they have battle backed every time, still have both of their best players healthy, and are quite consistent in close game situations.

So, in the end which team has faced more adversity to have that "it" factor to come back in games, sustain the lead, and close off close games both in regular and in marathon-long overtime for the Finals?
Yeah it's not like they played anybody with players with multiple Norris trophies, Art Ross, or Stanley Cup Rings.

But to answer the question the Penguins have the Predators have not faced elimination yet.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Can losing Letang even be counted for Pittsburgh at this point? He's amazing when he's healthy, but he hasn't been consistently healthy for some time (which is a damn shame). So much so, that I automatically assume that he's injured and am surprised when I hear the news that he just got injured.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Granted that Nashville hasn't played anybody as tough as the Washington Capitals roster is (on paper).

Why do people keep acting like the Preds just lucked into an easy draw to win the Conference??

Sweeping Chicago/STL in 6/Anaheim in 6.

I think Chicago and Anaheim both could have beaten Washington.

That is an impressive playoff run. I love how everyone just dismisses the Hawks now as an awful team just because we swept them...

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Letang seems a bit silly of an adversity point considering he's usually not playing anyway. It's not like he had had a great long season and boom game 1 he goes down or somethin'. Penguins are used to playing without him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah it's not like they played anybody with players with multiple Norris trophies, Art Ross, or Stanley Cup Rings.
I think was I quite unbiased in my OP. I did say that Penguins did let them back into the series as well.

Why do people keep acting like the Preds just lucked into an easy draw to win the Conference??
Also, I did say that even with their injures, they (Nashville) were still able to beat every team in 6 or less games. Additionally, Penguins haven't played against a defencive core this deep in any of this years or last years playoff series. Predators are even deeper than the Sharks last year IMHO.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Letang seems a bit silly of an adversity point considering he's usually not playing anyway. It's not like he had had a great long season and boom game 1 he goes down or somethin'. Penguins are used to playing without him.

Not really. Letang was PIT's second best player in the finals after Crosby. I am surprised when people say this. Did no one watch Sharks and Pens last year? Did no one see the cup winning goal in Game 6?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Capitals are a much better team than Chicago not really up for debate.

Answer to OP is Penguins
Not up for debate? Barry Trotz vs Chicago? Multiple Cups vs can't get past the 2nd round? Blackhawks would have steamrolled Columbus and Washington.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Not really. Letang was PIT's second best player in the finals after Crosby. I am surprised when people say this. Did no one watch Sharks and Pens last year? Did no one see the cup winning goal in Game 6?

Why are you bringing up last year? We're talking about this year.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

Because everything looked great for PIT without Letang during regular season, but as soon as they ran into tough competition in the playoffs, Letang's absence was very, very telling. Playoffs are a whole different beast compared to regular season.

Last year, PIT dominated opponents on the way to final and in the final. This year, they've been outshot for 80%+ of the games. What's the big difference? Letang. Why? Puck possession and movement to forwards.

kingsholygrail

Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Because everything looked great for PIT without Letang during regular season, but as soon as they ran into tough competition in the playoffs, Letang's absence was very, very telling. Playoffs are a whole different beast compared to regular season.

Last year, PIT dominated opponents on the way to final and in the final. This year, they've been outshot for 80%+ of the games. What's the big difference? Letang. Why? Puck possession and movement to forwards.

Pretty sure the big difference was MAF stepping in for an injured Murray and not sucking for a couple rounds.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
If Johansen was in the lineup, I'd definitely say that the Preds will win. It seems to me that Pittsburgh thinks that they can coast through another the Cup.

Last year was 6 games vs San Jose. This series will go to 7, I'm very sure.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
What adversity has Nashville faced? Missing Johansen for 2 games? :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Preds lost RJ late in the playoffs.

We've literally been without Kris Letang for ALL of the playoffs as well as more key players out of the line-up overall. I mean Preds faced adversity, yes. But the Pens faced more quality out of the line-up and their adversity was just tougher. Not to take away from the Preds at all. Should be a fun series.

Keep the dirty crap out of the game Lazy.

This board mocked us for having a defense that regularly played Ruhwedel and Hainsey. The Pens want this. They're defending the Cup.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Capitals are a much better team than Chicago not really up for debate.

Not up for debate?? Maybe the other way around, sure.....

The Blackhawks were FAVORED TO WIN THE CUP going into the playoffs.

Again I love how just because the Preds played an incredible series that all of a sudden the Blackhawks are some below .500 lightweight....

Again- Hawks/Blues/Ducks is every bit as tough as Jackets/Caps/Senators

In fact, if the Preds had to play the playoffs over again I think I would rather face their schedule.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
If Johansen was in the lineup, I'd definitely say that the Preds will win. It seems to me that Pittsburgh thinks that they can coast through another the Cup.

Nashville did great to get where they are right now, but let's not make it seem as though San José was just some sort of pushover who happened to push the Pens to 6 last year.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

The Pens have played a lot more games, endured a lot more injuries, do we really have to go on?

Back to backs are hard to do, try adding in all the plight on the way to this finals.

The Pens plate has been full since day one this season.

List is long all the way to this past ECF's.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008

Coast? You mean after beating the 1st and 3rd ranked teams in the league and finishing out a tough 7 game series against a frustratingly boring defensive system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad