Which skates are the best threads

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
My grandson will be 16 this Thursday. He's in a league at Logitec, San Jose. He wasn't these skates... what exactly are they. I know Ovechkin wears them..... they must be a certain brand.

HELP

whatever that means...

Ovechkin wears the new CCM U+ just like i have, lightest and most comftarble skate ever

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
So since I know nothing of ice skates I have a ? for you guys. I play roller and have since I was 11 (I am 26 now) minus a couple years break after high school. I am looking to play ice hockey (haven't ice skated very much but get the hang of it pretty quickly considering all the roller hockey I played, I know there will still be a lot to learn however). I use Mission roller hockey skates and was just wondering any recommendations on skates that you guys might have for a beginner. Thanks in advance

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I got the g35 grafs, I've had them for about a year and a half. When I got them they were over $700 dollars, I love them so much. Best skates I've used, period.

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
does anyone use graf skates with the cobra holders or did many like me change them to something, in my case im chaning them to the tuuk lightspeedII

ive nothiced many if not all nhl players that use grafs dont use the cobra holders

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Well, Bauer doens't have much midrange in the supreme line. The one 75 is the lowest level composite skate, and that's a 400 dollar skate. Most of Bauer's midrange stuff is just a nice nylon construction skate, you're in a low end nylon skate. It's still traditional construction. Most of the better skates are composite, that's the big leap in skate quality.

Reebok is all traditional nylon, but the 5k is the beginnings of their good stuff, their big thing is that's the starting level for the pump. $250 ish on hockeymonkey.

Easton you'd want the SE 10. One piece composite boot, but it's glass fiber, so cheaper then the higher end carbon/ telaxium boots. $240 on HM.

However, Hockey Monkey has the Synergy 800, which is the same skate more or less (they renumbered the line), for $119. I fthey have it in your size, worth a look.

Dr Turk

Jul 4, 2008
Toronto
Thanks for the help, Im definitely gonna look into the synergy 800’s, those look like just what Ive been looking for.

Have you, or anyone else here for that matter, used them? Do you like them?

Last edited:

Dr Turk

Jul 4, 2008
Toronto
Actually, I found the SE10’s online for 172$ and free shipping. I’m gonna go try ‘em on somewhere than will most likely buy them online or see if the store does price matching. Does anybody have any experiences with the SE10’s?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
After some back and forth with Gunnar Stahl last week I decided to take the plunge and pick up a pair of Bauer Supreme One75s. I wanted the One55s because I couldn't see much of a difference between them and the 75s, but unfortunately the shops I went to weren't carrying them. I decided to bite the bullet and try on the One75s and fell in love immediately.

Bio:

- 27 year old male, 6'0" 190lbs.
- on the ice 2-3 times a week.
- "normal" to narrow feet, semi-high arch, size 12 shoe (10.5 N/BH)

The fit in these skates is absolutely unbelievable. I always just bought closeout skates online (past years higher end stuff), never bothered to try skates on before I bought them. I will never make that mistake again. These skates fit me almost perfectly out of the box, and after baking they were like gloves. I spent three hours on the ice with them yesterday and felt like a brand new skater. I hate to exaggerate the effect of equipment on play, but these things have had a serious impact. I was a decent skater already, but with these I felt "glued" to the ice, and after a 3 hour session I was as fatigued as I normally would be in half that time. Also, I have ZERO break-in pain, which is in my opinion amazing given the stiffness of this boot. I am incredibly happy with these skates and no longer have any reservations about dropping the extra $200 I would have saved with One55s.

Now, I am expecting these to last 5+ years, so we'll see if my happiness is tempered a bit over time. But for now I couldn't think of words to sell these skates any better.

Captain Zach

May 21, 2008
I am looking to get anew, betetr pair of skates (I have cheaaapp skates now) I don't know much about them but any advice would be great

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
under 300

first reccomendation, try some skates on. you need to know what you fit in. what are you wearing now?

under 300, IF you fit in vapor XXV's, they aer real nice. they are like 250. probably the best skate imo, that you can get under 300.

ccm U+, vector U+ and v10's are all under 300. out of those, i would go with the vector U+.

rbk 5k

all of these are under 300, it really depends on your fit. for me, i would go with the vapors, but thats cause they fit me best. if you can try them on

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Mission 100 AG. Love em, the only other skate i would get is the 120.

Mind you, i threw a TUUK on because the Pitch is BS!

Last edited:

Anthrax Jones

Feb 26, 2009
I had a pair of CCM 852 Super Tacks I bought on clearance in 2004, and I loved them. It broke my heart when I had to replace them because they're the only skates that ever fit me the way I liked, but they were finished. I went out and bought CCM V08s back in the fall, and I don't regret it at all. I got them for under $300, and they feel as good as any skates I've ever owned. I had no issues breaking them in, never had to deal with blistering or anything of that sort. My only issue is with the rocket runners, it's easy to lose your edge when you're trying to make a sharp cut because of the low profile runner (not to mention the decreased lifespan after about 12 sharpenings). All in all, I'd recommend the V08s, especially if you have canal boats instead of feet like I do.

aceface76

Apr 8, 2009
Hoping for some similarly helpful advice/analysis --

I'm finally replacing my Vapor 7s, and after trying on a few skates I really like the feel of the RBK 5K Pumps. Before I purchase them, three quick questions:

1. I've heard/read stories of the lack of durability of 5ks, and RBK skates in general. Are these accurate? I'm an adult rec player, skating maybe 2-3 times a week max, 6'3" 215 so probably a little hard on my skates.

2. Are there any issues specific to the 5ks and/or pumps? I know that there were problems with the pumps themselves earlier, but those supposedly have been worked out.

3. Is there much of a difference between the 5ks and the 4ks? I've seen the latter online for significantly less, and if they're relatively the same I'd just as soon save the $ and use the difference towards, say, skating lessons.

Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
im not too big into rbks but i think the main difference between the 5ks and 3ks, cause i dont think they make 4k, is the 3ks dont have the pump

the 5k can be baked, for a mid line skate, its pretty durable, its a nylon material, it has a few modifications i think around the heel so it doesnt wear down as fast. that being said its not the lightest skate, but not bad for a mid liner

its a pretty nice skate. it should get the job done for a mens leaguer, even for a guy your size

you are already wearing vapors, did you look into the vapor XXVs? they are a real nice skate, probably the best mid line skate imo. i would give them a look, and try each pair on if possible

daner

Feb 18, 2009
I own a pair of Graf G3's. I find this skate to have alot of movement around the ankles, which is exactly what Graf is known for. If you are not the strongest skater or an "ankle-biter" I would not reccommened.

I believe if you were to ask most proshops they would confirm that Graf's offer the most movement around the ankle. Other skate manufacterers design their skates to lock the ankle and not provide as much movement. This will prevent ankle injuries but also limit movement. I have found once or twice that I would have to lace my skates back up on the bench as they have not been tight enough for me (my fault for not tying tight enough in the first place).

The G series in Grafs are pricey but they offer numerous models designed to fit the correct foot. The G3, G5, G35 are all the same skate but have different looks and insoles. The upside to be G series is the boot will easily outlast the stainless steel blade; due to wear and tear and sharpenings.

I would suggest to try a Graf skate on one foot and something different on the other. Have a walk around the store and determine which is best for you.

Brophy

Oct 18, 2007
Redondo Beach
The Stealth S11's, ****ing carbon fiber fell apart which in result caused pre mature ankle slop which I think caused the rivets to blow out.

So I need some new skates quick under 200? I can really only afford around the One55's or v6's, anything out there better, and has anyone tried any of the 09 models yet?

Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad