Which skates are the best threads

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Grafs won't be much lighter. They're a traditional construction boot, same as the tacks. Fabrics and leather. Their big selling point is the fit- they have several different models that are built to fit different shape feet. They're also more durable then most skates on the market.

If you want lighter, Bauer, Easton, CCM and RBK make nice composite boots that are lightweight.
I like durable because this next purchase will have to last quite sometime. Hmmm...I like the fitting comment and the long lasting qualties. Wasn't there something else different about Grafs compared to other skates? A tilt or something?

wildebeest

Jan 7, 2008
Alton, IL
I like durable because this next purchase will have to last quite sometime. Hmmm...I like the fitting comment and the long lasting qualties. Wasn't there something else different about Grafs compared to other skates? A tilt or something?

Graf skates have a pretty agressive forward lean in the boot as well as the Cobra holder. If you're coming from a Bauer/Tuuk setup, you'll feel like you're about to fall flat on your face until you get used to the pitch. Guys who like the pitch swear by it and the guys that don't avoid it like the plague.

If you have a weird foot shape, chances are there's a Graf model that will fit. I swear by the Vapor fit, and my wife HAS to skate on CCMs. You could always go Flexlite if you have a thick ankle or a high instep that requires more boot volume. Besides, the new Flexlites that are coming out in the spring are the best-looking skates I've seen in a long time!
n503376037_1642849_6514.jpg

PP Subban

Nov 9, 2006
I have worn Vapor xxx's, CCM Pro-Tacks, Easton Synergy 1500's, the lis goes on and now i have Graf G35's

My Graf's are the most comfortable i have ever worn, most durable so far and very light.

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
My vapors are just starting to break in. I went from nike v10's that I used for 4 year and I had to get use to the boot being so tight around the ankles. But I really like the vapors alot.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
My feet have been described as resembling a 'brick'.
I have size 10 feet that are wide and have a very high, exaggerated arch.

I have worn CCM's pretty much my whole life but they were very painful on the outsides of my feet and over my arch. That's because the brands I bought, (usually Tacks), were narrow.

So I recently got a new pair that would be better for the shape of my foot.

At first I was placed in a pair of Graf 605's Wide. After several modifications, I never got this skate to fit my foot properly. The toe area was much to narrow and my arches still ached considerably.
Eventually I was placed in a pair of Easton Stealth S7's, Size 8 EE. These feel beautiful. The toe box is much wider and fits the width of the top of my feet beautifully. Especially at the balls of my feet.
The arch also feels much better. But I still don't lace through every hole over the arch.

The skate itself is incredibly light and has a small screen at the bottom of the foot to allow sweat to escape. It keeps the boot dryer and lighter.

This is the best fitting skate I've ever had and they feel great. My skating has also improved as I finally feel like I have a pair of blades that mach the shape of my foot.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
I have wide and flat feet and need advice on skates. I got some Flexlite 16s and they are crap. They are really wide but still not wide enough, is there a better skate for me?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I have wide and flat feet and need advice on skates. I got some Flexlite 16s and they are crap. They are really wide but still not wide enough, is there a better skate for me?

Anyone that says they could fit you over the internet is a liar, you need to go to the store and actually try skates on.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I had been using Easton Ultra Lite Pro (1 step down from the true pro Z-Core) for about 6, 7 years (maybe more?). They never really fit me right. The outside of my foot, opposite the arch, always hurt after skating even after 10 mins. I liked the fact they were light weight (at the time I purchased) and stiff, hoping they would last. Another problem was the cracking of the blade holder, replaced both at least twice, and cracked the steel blade twice.

I just bought some Vapor XXIX. I was told that these are the retail version of the XXXX, just marketed for certain hockey shops. Same skate, better price. I think only difference is slightly different tongue, and maybe different insoles???? Regardless....Wow, these are light!!!!! They are stiff too, which is good, and the break in is going well. Virtually no adjustment to skating style that I notice. The laces are kind of too long, but otherwise, I love them! Plus, they have a special lined boot that doesn't absorb a lot of moisture and bacteria or something like that. Another good feature which swayed me this way was the way my heel locked in place in the boot. Got them for a good price too.

I tried on the 2007 model RBK 9K (white model), which were very comfortable, and almost got them, they were on sale for $350CDN, regular $700? I like the lace lock feature on these skates. Also tried a CCM model too, which didn't feel right for me. It was a toss up with XXIX or the 9K, and I went with the Vapors basically because I had a touch more room in the toe cap.

Last edited:

pgreene

Jul 30, 2005
Anyone that says they could fit you over the internet is a liar, you need to go to the store and actually try skates on.

some people can't go to a store because there isn't one for hundreds of miles. internet advice is all some of us can get.

Das Uber

Kitten Mittens
Feb 4, 2007
Omicron Persei 8
I didn't think this question was worthy of a new thread...

I've been using Superfeet in my NB inline skates and I love them. I just got a new pair of ice skates today. Instead of buying a new set of Superfeet, I was wondering if I could just just transfer them between skates as needed.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico

I've been using Superfeet in my NB inline skates and I love them. I just got a new pair of ice skates today. Instead of buying a new set of Superfeet, I was wondering if I could just just transfer them between skates as needed.

I switch mine between my roller hockey and iceskates. I don't see why you can't.

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better

yea its just an insole, some people put dr scholls in their skates, its the same thing

Das Uber

Kitten Mittens
Feb 4, 2007
Omicron Persei 8
I switch mine between my roller hockey and iceskates. I don't see why you can't.

When I was at the pro shop, one of the guys said that over time the shock doctor/superfeet insoles "settle" inside the boot and if you transfer them from skate to skate they get messed up. It sounded like a bunch of BS, but I figured I should ask anyways.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
When I was at the pro shop, one of the guys said that over time the shock doctor/superfeet insoles "settle" inside the boot and if you transfer them from skate to skate they get messed up. It sounded like a bunch of BS, but I figured I should ask anyways.

Well, insoles are usually made of foam (those are) and they will compact and reshape over time. So yeah, they will settle and they will form to the boot, but if the new boot is similar in fit (it should be, your foot shape hasn't changed) it should work just fine.

That said, remember that different insoles change the volume of a boot and it will fit differently with the new insole then with the old one, and it's best to get the skates baked using the one you're going to use in games, otherwise the fit may be a bit off.

And yeah, asics have great insoles.

facey*

which skate world be best for the outdoor rink

your going to want one of the traditional boots, think leather... think graf or the flex series from bauer...

outdoor rinks are the best place to work on your stick handling, bad place to work on your speed, so get a skate your comfortable in and tie that puck to a rope!!!!

but seriously, i've been using the Nike V12's (same/similar as the one90's different looks)... its a composite boot and i noticed how much colder my feet get in them... and the poor durability of the skate... its mauled... never had a bauer with such poor durability...

i've wanted to try grafs... but i don't play enough to re-learn my balance... ccm's don't look tough enough to me... tacks don't fit...i'll keep you posted in my search.

RedAggie03

Jan 7, 2009
B55S.JPG
skccmzg120.jpg

Product: CCM ZG120's (With T-Blades) & Bauer One55's.
Reviewer specs:
Intro
28 Year Old Male 5'9" 215lbs. On the ice 2-3 times a week. Men's Novice.
Wide foot, have to wear E/EE's.

Fit
Thus far I like them both, I'm still in a little break in pain, but I don't think the CCM's are quite as wide as my Bauer One55's in E (the CCM's are E's as well). It may be because they are not broken in yet too. The toe on the CCM's is quite a bit smaller than on the Bauers, but still fits the same for me.

Blade/Holder
The One55 vs. the T-Blade on the CCM's is quite different. The pitch on the CCM's is more forward giving me the feeling that I'm going to fall on my face sometimes. The pitch however actually has made me a better skater (faster and I can manuver backwards easier). The T-Blades make a hard core sound on the ice...A crunching sound like you are just destroying the ice. I like it! It also makes cool sounds when you manuver, but I did have to get used to it - I thought I was breaking them at first. Also, The T-blades are lighter, but the biggest difference is that they are MUCH sharper it seems - they skim along the ice so much easier.

All that being said, I like the t-blades for messing around / practice, but I still stick to my Bauer One55's for games as I'm still more comfortable in them.

Protection
No issues here, both have stiff boots.

Weight
They are both very light skates. The CCM's are 2005 model vs. the 2008 Bauers - I actually think they are about the same weight, the Bauers might actually feel a tad lighter to me.

Durability
Have not had them long enough to say... I bought the Bauers and had them for about 3 weeks, then bought the CCM's on clearance for hella cheap. No problems thus far with either.

Conclusion
I'm still breaking in both skates. Insoles helped on both of them. I think I still like the Bauers a tad bit better, I just wish the blades were more like the t-blades. I like both skates though!

:handclap:

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I got the Easton Synergy's when they first came out, best skate I have bought. "Upgraded" to the S15's, did not like them, sold them and bought Synergy 1500C's at a discount. My next skate will be the white SE16's. I have regular feet and Easton's just seem to fit right out of the box for me, no break in issues, no blisters, haven't had a problem with durability so I stick with them.

9ergal

Feb 9, 2009
Ovechkins skates

My grandson will be 16 this Thursday. He's in a league at Logitec, San Jose. He wasn't these skates... what exactly are they. I know Ovechkin wears them..... they must be a certain brand.

HELP

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You'll be shocked by the price, especially if your grandson has feet that are shaped differently then the retail model. Different skates fit differently, and if you want a specific skate and your foot doesn't fit, you have to order custom skates, which tends to be about a $100 markup.

Ovechkin is using the CCM U+ skate BTW. MSRP on those is $639.99. If you do those, make sure you can try them or have them made and make sure the fit is perfect.

Oh, and if he's not playing at least at a travel league level there's no way he needs that level skate. Even at that level he doesn't really need it.

9ergal

Feb 9, 2009
try them for sure

I just was reading a few threads and my grandson needs to try on lots of skates and see what fits him best, not think a certain skate is the best because of the name. Plus, I'm not spending that money on Jr. Varsity play when this is his first season and he's still learning to check. I bought him a nice stick for a little over 200 and the guys on his team love it.... light, great curve..... But, my grandson has to be on the ice a lot more to get those expensive skates, plus they might not even be good for him

On another note... I'm going to try a bit of ice hockey myself in a week. 63 isn't too old to start! It's a 'try hockey' night by the Northern California Women's Hockey League. Skates for me???? Whatever they have.

I snowboarded a year ago for the first time.

:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad