Which RD do you go after?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I can't say that he has forever, but Babs has made it clear for many, many years that he hates it, and has given the reasons why. And yes, he had a problem with it in Detroit. He had to deal with it because the Wings had few RHD in his later years, but his GM couldn't resolve the issue and Detroit sucked.

Babs said that if Dermott had been a RHD he would have made the team out of training camp. Because Dermott was a LHD the Leafs got Pollak, and Dermott eventually came up to replace Borgman.

The other thing Babs has a major problem with is young D who allow high numbers of SCA and especially HDCA. He complained about the HDCAs from Holl and Dermott during Holl's second game. It didn't matter the ice was completely tilted in the Leafs favour when the two were on the ice together, Holl was sent down and Babs said that Dermott was on notice. Fleury allows a lot of HDCAs (way more than his teammates) despite not facing strong competition and despite Carolina allowing fewer than the Leafs.

As a rookie sure. He was always known as an incredibly mobile shutdown D. He looked good when I watched him. Hanafin was the one who looked like a nightmare

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Forget what Canucks fans are saying about Tanev's worth, the reality is Jim Benning can easily be fleeced in a trade and everyone knows it. Think of what Hamonic got but less because Tanev has a higher AAV, less term, and is injury prone. Also Benning.

2019 1st (lottery protected), Pierre Engvall, Connor Carrick, Josh Leivo/2020 3rd for Tanev.

Give Gardiner his much needed babysitter and roll with this next year:

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Tanev
Hainsey-Zaitsev
Ozhiganov

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Carlson at this point has to be the top candidate, owing to being the only real UFA option available... assuming he makes it to UFA.

If Montreal feels they need a rebuild, Weber could be available. Tanev should be on the market.
Tanev might be available. Get your new GM Kyle Dubas to give Jim a call when he gets setup in his new office. :) I'm sure we can work out a deal. :nod:

dont think there is a point of Brodin may as well just keep Gardiner and move Rielly over.
Parayko and Pesce are untouchable at this point.
Doughty is 2019 is obviously the dream.
Hamonic is kinda risky given his poor year in Calgary and inability to move the puck well

here are some options:
Older and Risky: Tanev
Perfect but too Pricey: Manson
Young to grow with team: Dante Fabbro

I would definitely try and get Fabbro. Having Fabbro, Lilj and Rasanen in the pipeline sets us up very well long-term with Rielly and Dermott on the left.
I would suggest getting a RHD someone with experience who can shut down opponents well transitioning the puck. that is Chris Tanev's calling hard. Just get him to stop blocking as many shots and he will remain healthy. He gets beaten to a pulp in Vancouver because we are a terrible team lol. If he's on a team that has the puck more often with a good partner he won't take half the abuse he does. Poor guy needs a better partner. He looked great with Edler last year but that didn't last long enough.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Forget what Canucks fans are saying about Tanev's worth, the reality is Jim Benning can easily be fleeced in a trade and everyone knows it. Think of what Hamonic got but less because Tanev has a higher AAV, less term, and is injury prone. Also Benning.

2019 1st (lottery protected), Pierre Engvall, Connor Carrick, Josh Leivo/2020 3rd for Tanev.

Give Gardiner his much needed babysitter and roll with this next year:

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Tanev
Hainsey-Zaitsev
Ozhiganov
Give Jimbo picks and a prospect. We can call it a day. 1st, 2nd, half decent prospect I am a happy man.

Tanev is locked in for 2 more seasons after this for $4,450,000 AAV. He signed super cheap in Vancouver we lucked out. He had a rough season last year. I blame act of gods and our team being terrible at transitioning the puck personally. He had a rough season lol. That puck to the face was just the cherry on top lol. He's a warrior though he battles through injuries when it matters most, is tough as nails, and is one of the best transitional shutdown D in the league. Guy has balls of steel.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Like I said on the previous thread about Tavares, it comes down to Cap. Carlson is probably getting 7-8 million on the open market. The Leafs have to sign Nylander next year off an ELC and still have to have enough for Matthews and Marner the year after. Between the three of them we are probably looking at $22-25 million. Given we already spent 6.25 million locking in Marleau for two more season (with a NMC to boot) I don’t think the Buds have to money right now to afford a top pairing quality UFA right handed D who is in his late 20s. Not for the dollar amount or term that another team could offer.

A trade seems more feasible. I hear Tanev to the Leafs kicked around by Canucks fans a lot, but it usually involves Nylander and/or Liljegren going the other way, which would be ridiculous. If Canucks management is shopping him at a reasonable price, he would fit the bill (reasonable contract, top 4, stay at home rhd), but if they want Nylander or Liljigren (or god-forbid Marner) in the return package, then the Leafs obviously can’t make that deal, especially not with Tanev’s injury history.
We could work out a deal without Nylander and Marner. Possibly even without Lilegren. He's a great teammate and gives his all every game. I have nothing bad to say about him other then he's had some pretty brutal luck lol. I think it's the hockey gods punishing our team tho. They want us to suck harder so we can get better picks. Our team has been decimated by injuries over the past 3-4 seasons. It's been bad. very bad. Changed medical staff and not much changed lol.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
TOR
Tanev

VAN
1st (2018)
2nd (2019)
Kapanen/Johansson

I think most fans would in Vancouver would be more than happy with that return. We know Nylander, Marner, and Lilegren is are none starters. As long as Jim was ok with this we would be happy. He really has a good eye for talent. Kapanen clearly has skill but his first thought is offence first which wouldn't jive well in Green's system. I suspect Johansson's more complete game would be more attractive.

We also have an excess of D on the left side with: Edler, Del Zotto, Hutton, Pouliot, and Juolevi. (Pouliot can play right side). Jim will probably move one of those D this offseason too. Edler and Juoelvi being no go's and the rest all possibilities. He and Linden seem to love the leadership qualities of MDZ and Green has questioned the fitness of Hutton/Pouliot. Hutton was called out for essentially being overweight lol. Pouliot was Green's player in Portland so he probably stays.

Here is a clip of Hutton after he got carved up by: Green lol. (I suspect he will come back in much better shape if he wants a job next season)

If you need D on the left side to we got some options. cheers

Reactions: 7even

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
TOR
Tanev

VAN
1st (2018)
2nd (2019)
Kapanen/Johansson

I think most fans would in Vancouver would be more than happy with that return. We know Nylander, Marner, and Lilegren is are none starters. As long as Jim was ok with this we would be happy. He really has a good eye for talent. Kapanen clearly has skill but his first thought is offence first which wouldn't jive well in Green's system. I suspect Johansson's more complete game would be more attractive.

We also have an excess of D on the left side with: Edler, Del Zotto, Hutton, Pouliot, and Juolevi. (Pouliot can play right side). Jim will probably move one of those D this offseason too. Edler and Juoelvi being no go's and the rest all possibilities. He and Linden seem to love the leadership qualities of MDZ and Green has questioned the fitness of Hutton/Pouliot. Hutton was called out for essentially being overweight lol. Pouliot was Green's player in Portland so he probably stays.

Here is a clip of Hutton after he got carved up by: Green lol. (I suspect he will come back in much better shape if he wants a job next season)

If you need D on the left side too we got some options. cheers

I can't see the Leafs paying that price.
Kappy's 200 ft game is coveted around here.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg's right side is Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers.

I mean, I don't know if they would deal any, but maybe there is a match?

They have some huge salary considerations themselves in the next 24 months (Wheeler, Laine, Armia, Connor, Trouba, Myers, Hellebucyk).

Poolman can play RD too for them and is good.

Jets D (Kul currently injured):

Josh M - Trouba

Toby - Buff

Kul - Myers

Next ones up when we have injuries: Chariot (decent 8th Dman), Poolman (likely Myers replacement eventually, maybe next year), Niku (likely Toby's replacement eventually, maybe next year).

This summer isn't a cap issue, the summer after this one will be an issue potentially. The intent by management to-date has been to sign Trouba long term......"if" we assume this happens this summer then we also know Buff isn't being moved he's been "potentially" our playoff MVP to-date. Poolman's Dad & Chipman are very good friends from the university days so unlikely Poolman is moved. There is some talk, not sure if likely, that Toby could/might sign a one year deal after this season at a much lower cap hit.

Again no one "needs" to be moved this summer due to cap reasons.....but if anyone is moved from our RHD it would likely be Myers who has one year left on his contract after a good year this season. I won't discuss any possible return for Myers, being this is the Leafs board & not the trade forum. But IMO Myers being traded this summer is possible, just not required, so it would need to make sense to Chevy or he wouldn't do it. Cheers guys.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Jets D (Kul currently injured):

Josh M - Trouba

Toby - Buff

Kul - Myers

Next ones up when we have injuries: Chariot (decent 8th Dman), Poolman (likely Myers replacement eventually, maybe next year), Niku (likely Toby's replacement eventually, maybe next year).

This summer isn't a cap issue, the summer after this one will be an issue potentially. The intent by management to-date has been to sign Trouba long term......"if" we assume this happens this summer then we also know Buff isn't being moved he's been "potentially" our playoff MVP to-date. Poolman's Dad & Chipman are very good friends from the university days so unlikely Poolman is moved. There is some talk, not sure if likely, that Toby could/might sign a one year deal after this season at a much lower cap hit.

Again no one "needs" to be moved this summer due to cap reasons.....but if anyone is moved from our RHD it would likely be Myers who has one year left on his contract after a good year this season. I won't discuss any possible return for Myers, being this is the Leafs board & not the trade forum. But IMO Myers being traded this summer is possible, just not required, so it would need to make sense to Chevy or he wouldn't do it. Cheers guys.

Thanks - other issue I see for Jets is that there may be budget issues. Big deals coming up. Wheeler, Laine, Trouba come to mind.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
TOR
Tanev

VAN
1st (2018)
2nd (2019)
Kapanen/Johansson

If you need D on the left side to we got some options. cheers

Going to keep Kap and AJ.
Probably
2019 1st(lottery protected),
Carrick,
Leivo,
2018 2nd.

For Tanev and 2018 4th

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks - other issue I see for Jets is that there may be budget issues. Big deals coming up. Wheeler, Laine, Trouba come to mind.

Define budget issues.

Cap? As stated this summer isn’t an issue, but the following will be. So we “may” choose to trade cap this summer if there is a nice/logical deal.....in preparation for next summer and the big deals you mentioned. Very possible

Budget (meaning internal cap)? No issue, owners already stated money is no issue and are happy to spend to cap max if we’re a contender or ready to be one (which we are). The only “budget” issue we’ve ever seen is a lack of interest in taking on bad contracts in the past when rebuilding. Some teams are willing to burn money for mid range picks, Jets aren’t one of them. Jets also weren’t willing to buyout or send down Pavs or Stuart (burn money) until it was clear we were ready to step forward....then Pavs was buried & Stu was bought out.

What you can be sure of is the Jets won’t trade away a good young player who is key to our future just b/c they don’t want to pay him. Chevy is on record saying he wants to pay Laine & Trouba, stating they’ve earned it. Jets are a D&D poster child, b/c we have to, being low on the FA destinations. So players we draft are signed long term, only way to get further ahead.

Not sure if I answered your question/point/concern.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Define budget issues.

Cap? As stated this summer isn’t an issue, but the following will be. So we “may” choose to trade cap this summer if there is a nice/logical deal.....in preparation for next summer and the big deals you mentioned. Very possible

Budget (meaning internal cap)? No issue, owners already stated money is no issue and are happy to spend to cap max if we’re a contender or ready to be one (which we are). The only “budget” issue we’ve ever seen is a lack of interest in taking on bad contracts in the past when rebuilding. Some teams are willing to burn money for mid range picks, Jets aren’t one of them. Jets also weren’t willing to buyout or send down Pavs or Stuart (burn money) until it was clear we were ready to step forward....then Pavs was buried & Stu was bought out.

What you can be sure of is the Jets won’t trade away a good young player who is key to our future just b/c they don’t want to pay him. Chevy is on record saying he wants to pay Laine & Trouba, stating they’ve earned it. Jets are a D&D poster child, b/c we have to, being low on the FA destinations. So players we draft are signed long term, only way to get further ahead.

Internal cap was the concern, I am not nearly as informed as a good Jets fan would be. If the owner says going to max isn't an issue that is good. Only issue becomes the actual salary cap at some point because the Jets have put together such a good team but dealing someone like Myers shouldn't hurt the team too much.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Define budget issues.

are they bridging people???
With a vezina season after a bridge helly would have to be looking form 6-7?? Right?

With the cap increase and second bridge I would think trouba would be the same.....

Morrisey a bridge? Or 4.5?????

Then there are still a bunch to sign plus Laine 2 and change for bonuses... I think it shrinks pretty quick for the jets

If they have 20 mill available i would have to think 12 would go to trouba and hellebuck
Then 2 and change for laine. That leaves 6 million for all the other free agents...

Edit. Looks like it will be closer to 25 million on an 80 cap. Which is better. Still 25 goes quick with your top pairing. Vezina goalie and a bunch of forwards to sign

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Going to keep Kap and AJ.
Probably
2019 1st(lottery protected),
Carrick,
Leivo,
2018 2nd.

For Tanev and 2018 4th
I do not see Levio or Carrick being all that desirable to Jim. A 2019 first (unprotected), your 2nd round pick, and a third might do it.

Or Vancouver could create a stipulation that if Toronto's pick wins the lottery Vancouver can offer up their first-round pick as compensation. What are your thoughts on that?

TOR
Tanev

VAN
1st (2019 Top 3 Lotto Stipulation)
2nd Round Pick (2018)
3rd Round Pick (2018 or 2019)

The stipulation being if Toronto wins a top 3 spot Vancouver can claim the pick but give up their 1st round pick as compensation. (Toronto's 2019 Top 3 Pick + San Jose's 2018 2nd Round Pick, and Toronto's 2018 3rd Round Pick for Chris Tanev + Vancouver's First Round Pick (Likely in the 5-15 range). That would essentially get you Tanev for a slight bump in draft position, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd. Thoughts on that kind of deal? I can't recall an exact deal like this but it could work. :D

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Internal cap was the concern, I am not nearly as informed as a good Jets fan would be. If the owner says going to max isn't an issue that is good. Only issue becomes the actual salary cap at some point because the Jets have put together such a good team but dealing someone like Myers shouldn't hurt the team too much.

As stated I think trading Myers is very possible this summer for the right deal b/c he can be replaced fairly easy internally by giving Trouba & Buff PP time and Poolman playing 3Rd pairing. This would help prepare us for the following summerbig deals, reduce our cash expenditure next year and give us some wiggle room next TDL to make a similar trade as we this TDL with Stastny. So yeh it’s very possible IMO, but he won’t be dumped cheap either he’s too good for that, especially when we don’t need to move him. The real question will be what is his return considering the Jets have no big glaring needs. LHD isn’t a big need anymore (especially if Toby signs a one year deal....buying more time for Niku), Kul has done well in 3rd pairing role (even played top 4 when Toby was out at times), we have wingers for days, goalies for days. IMO the only areas might like to see improved is top 4 D prospects and a upgrade 3C with offensive touch without being poor defensively. Roslovic is hopefully our future 2C who then pushes Little down to our 3C who pushes Lowry to our 4C. Next year is a big year for Roslovic, hopefully he can win the 2C role....or at least 3C next year and following year 2C.

Hopefully that hopes with the Myers discussion/idea.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
are they bridging people???
With a vezina season after a bridge helly would have to be looking form 6-7?? Right?

With the cap increase and second bridge I would think trouba would be the same.....

Morrisey a bridge? Or 4.5?????

Then there are still a bunch to sign plus Laine 2 and change for bonuses... I think it shrinks pretty quick for the jets

If they have 20 mill available i would have to think 12 would go to trouba and hellebuck
Then 2 and change for laine. That leaves 6 million for all the other free agents...

Edit. Looks like it will be closer to 25 million on an 80 cap. Which is better. Still 25 goes quick with your top pairing. Vezina goalie and a bunch of forwards to sign

Short answer is yes, one player will absolutely need to be given a bridge this summer. Discussion is it will be Helle or Josh M. Personally I hope Josh is signed long term before he starts producing offensively. I’m not who gets a bridge but someone will need one.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As stated I think trading Myers is very possible this summer for the right deal b/c he can be replaced fairly easy internally by giving Trouba & Buff PP time and Poolman playing 3Rd pairing. This would help prepare us for the following summerbig deals, reduce our cash expenditure next year and give us some wiggle room next TDL to make a similar trade as we this TDL with Stastny. So yeh it’s very possible IMO, but he won’t be dumped cheap either he’s too good for that, especially when we don’t need to move him. The real question will be what is his return considering the Jets have no big glaring needs. LHD isn’t a big need anymore (especially if Toby signs a one year deal....buying more time for Niku), Kul has done well in 3rd pairing role (even played top 4 when Toby was out at times), we have wingers for days, goalies for days. IMO the only areas might like to see improved is top 4 D prospects and a upgrade 3C with offensive touch without being poor defensively. Roslovic is hopefully our future 2C who then pushes Little down to our 3C who pushes Lowry to our 4C. Next year is a big year for Roslovic, hopefully he can win the 2C role....or at least 3C next year and following year 2C.

Hopefully that hopes with the Myers discussion/idea.

Myers might be a possibility. I think it's pretty obvious the Leafs need to address the defense this off-season. Just not sure who they land.

If they land no one then I want blood lol.

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
Myers might be a possibility. I think it's pretty obvious the Leafs need to address the defense this off-season. Just not sure who they land.

I like Myers but I don't think his footspeed would fit your system that well. You need a more medium sized body to keep up with the pace. He would just look like a slightly better Roman Polak out there chasing guys back into his own zone. Enstrom or Trouba would be far better fits for your teams systems imo.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I like Myers but I don't think his footspeed would fit your system that well. You need a more medium sized body to keep up with the pace. He would just look like a slightly better Roman Polak out there chasing guys back into his own zone. Enstrom or Trouba would be far better fits for your teams systems imo.

I'd kill for Trouba but literally the only way that happens is if he says no to re-signing in Winnipeg and is okay with re-signing in Toronto. LONG shot big time.

Reactions: Steven Rush

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I do not see Levio or Carrick being all that desirable to Jim. A 2019 first (unprotected), your 2nd round pick, and a third might do it.

Or Vancouver could create a stipulation that if Toronto's pick wins the lottery Vancouver can offer up their first-round pick as compensation. What are your thoughts on that?

TOR
Tanev

VAN
1st (2019 Top 3 Lotto Stipulation)
2nd Round Pick (2018)
3rd Round Pick (2018 or 2019)

The stipulation being if Toronto wins a top 3 spot Vancouver can claim the pick but give up their 1st round pick as compensation. (Toronto's 2019 Top 3 Pick + San Jose's 2018 2nd Round Pick, and Toronto's 2018 3rd Round Pick for Chris Tanev + Vancouver's First Round Pick (Likely in the 5-15 range). That would essentially get you Tanev for a slight bump in draft position, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd. Thoughts on that kind of deal? I can't recall an exact deal like this but it could work. :D

I'd been thinking...

2018 1st

If Tanev plays > 70 games in 2018/19, 2019 2nd
If >60 <70, 2019 3rd
If <60, 4th

If >70 games in 2019/20, 202o 3rd
If >60 <70, 2020 4th
If <60, 5th

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Agreed

I don’t think the Leafs are in bad shape by any means, but upgrading your D would help. I’m very interested in seeing what they do with their D, JVR and Bozak. I think next year the Leafs will look different and play slightly differently imo. A bit better defensively, more gritty, maybe a bit more physical/bigger ........not saying goons or slow slugs. Leafs are fast, keep that. Make those adjustments and I think they are a 2nd round team or better imo.

Myers is only a top 4 guy, better defensively then Z and is good offensively but he isn’t a magic bullet to solve the Leafs D issues.....albeit he’s a step in right direction imo. Not trying to sell anyone on him by any means just giving my honest opinion.

Reactions: ThewThew

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed

I don’t think the Leafs are in bad shape by any means, but upgrading your D would help. I’m very interested in seeing what they do with their D, JVR and Bozak. I think next year the Leafs will look different and play slightly differently imo. A bit better defensively, more gritty, maybe a bit more physical/bigger ........not saying goons or slow slugs. Leafs are fast, keep that. Make those adjustments and I think they are a 2nd round team or better imo.

Myers is only a top 4 guy, better defensively then Z and is good offensively but he isn’t a magic bullet to solve the Leafs D issues.....albeit he’s a step in right direction imo. Not trying to sell anyone on him by any means just giving my honest opinion.

JVR and Bozak are gone IMO. JVR is going to get paid and I think someone will be more interested in Bozak then Toronto which might not be a bad thing, we need a different look at centre now. Defense will be interesting. Pateryn would be a solid add for our 3rd pairing and replace Polak pretty well. I also think Roussell could be an underrated add. He had a bit of a down year but if we could grab him on a reasonable 1-2 year deal i'd like that. He's underrated defensively and is hard to play against which we need.

In the play offs we kept trying for lead/stretch passes and we need to get away from that. We also do need to be a bit harder to play against, guys can who can stand up for themselves and still play hockey.

Reactions: Hunter368

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'd kill for Trouba but literally the only way that happens is if he says no to re-signing in Winnipeg and is okay with re-signing in Toronto. LONG shot big time.

Yes Trouba would be ideal for the Leafs. Physical, a bit nasty, fights, good defensively and decent offensively. But as stated Jets want him long term and if he refused to sign....well let’s just say he would cost more then most Leaf fans would like.

You don’t want Toby, too old, too small, lost all offensive abilities.....unless he’s played bottom pairing and/or limited time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad