Which RD do you go after?

member 300185

Well, that is exactly my point. Most get done early. Some go to arbitration and is usually solved between the parties during that process. There's like one case every second year where it goes so far that the team is forced to trade the player.

All I'm saying is that the team being forced to trade an RFA is extremely rare, and not something we should suddenly worry about.
I think we are saying the same thing on different radio waves. lol

Reactions: Nithoniniel

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There probably aren't any available this summer. And likes stop this fetish about RHD. Good Dmen should be the priority. Somehow ANY RHD seems to be be elevated to Chelios status in LeafLand

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Jets could be interested in Nylander if they strongly believe he can play 2C. Leafs could be interested in Myers for obvious reasons. Doubt any trade would happen involving Nylander & Myers bc their age difference and contract status difference.

Myers is not a top pairing guy on any team in the league. A bit better than Gardiner defensively and weaker offensively, plus injury prone. Only in Mad Dog land does he instantly become their #1. And yes lets dump Willie while his value is still high:laugh:

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
If our RHD is to come via trade, I think it’s cominf from Carolina or Nashville. They have them in spades and would be trading from a position of depth.

Fabbro would be unbelievable and might be stuck in a log jam.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Myers is not a top pairing guy on any team in the league. A bit better than Gardiner defensively and weaker offensively, plus injury prone. Only in Mad Dog land does he instantly become their #1. And yes lets dump Willie while his value is still high:laugh:

Thanks for agreeing, no Myers isn’t a true top pairing guy and if he is then that’s a reflection of how shallow a teams RHD depth is. No one advocating trading Nylander for Myers.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No question the Leafs would want Trouba over Myers.....But I don’t think the Leafs would/could make the best offer out there for Trouba if the Jets/Trouba wanted to go in separate directions.

The Jets may get to the Cup final with Trouba. They will do whatever is necessary to keep him and if he goes, it will be for a high value young D in return, not just pieces of value, even good ones. If he isn't a Jet next year, he won't be anywhere else in Canada.

The Leafs don't actually have add a top pairing star to improve, as it isn't just one guy that makes them weak at shot suppression. They need to get better than Polak and Carrick, and not to play Hainsey so high in the lineup. That doesn't require their third best forward to do. And then if they move Gardiner out for a better defensive player they will have an entirely new look without selling the farm to do it.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
To the Jets fans posting in this thread, I am glad we can come to an agreement on something RE Myers to Toronto at least due to the heavy disagreements and post wars our fanbases have had in the past. I have so much respect for your team and the way it has been built. By far my favourite team to watch other than my Buds, and a great deal of that is because Mark Scheifele is my favourite player on your team. My God what an unbelievable talent he is. Reminds me of myself too where all he does outside of the rink is watch hockey hahaha. Just an incredibly deep team you guys have and I hope my Buds can one day become as deep as that. Though it won't help the Matthews-Laine comparison I do hope you guys win the cup this year, with how well you guys have played Nashville this series I certainly believe you guys can and I am right behind you guys. All the best in your quest for the cup and we'll see you on the ice next season! Just don't let us dust you guys in your home barn like we did this year ;):thumbu:

Very well said.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What about Zaitsev and something (our 1st?) for Niskanen?

Capitals save about $1.75M (which is significant and goes straight to Carlsson) while replacing Niskanen.

That may be the only way to do the deal with him. Adding that much money (without any going out) for a guy over 30 now isn't (IMHO) the best way manage the cap.

Watching Colin Miller the last few weeks has made me wonder what happened to that supposed "side deal" with Vegas last summer. Whatever their ask now probably looks quite reasonable.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
So tell me why we want him again?
Because he's gonna be a lot cheaper than other top 4 dmen on the trade market. To me the most important thing is making sure our offence remains deep with elite talent. Which means Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri and Kapanen are all untouchables.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The leafs should stay away from big names and pick up mobile d men with some size and brains who aren't getting playing time with their current teams ala Josh Leivo. They don't need point producers just steady players like Dermott.

Sign John Tavares, move Gards to the left wing and now you have upgrades at two positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad