Which RD do you go after?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Is there a position more badly needed on this team other than RD?

I can see Pesce, Manson and Hjalmamarsson (shoots left but comfortable playing right) as likely candidates to acquire. They are all above average at shot suppression and all are on teams needing an upgrade in offense.

Who else would you target for the RD position next year?

Reactions: jklimmy

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Winnipeg's right side is Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers.

I mean, I don't know if they would deal any, but maybe there is a match?

They have some huge salary considerations themselves in the next 24 months (Wheeler, Laine, Armia, Connor, Trouba, Myers, Hellebucyk).

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
No way in hell does Anaheim trade Manson. Don't see Pesce either, him and Slavin will be paired together for a long time.

See what Carlson wants in the off season and go from there.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Manson would cost nylander most likely do I wouldn't go after him. I would target brodin from the wild, brodie from the flames, and sign one of ian Cole/mike green as f/a yo a 2 year deal. Trade for a top 4 rhd who is better at defensive play than providing offense and sign a f/a rhd whose a vet and can chip in points.

Offer.
To wild: Jake gardiner + 2019 2nd

To leafs: Jonas Brodin

Sign Green to a 2 year deal for 7 million or 1 year 4.5 million deal

Backend
Rielly-Brodin
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey/Borgman- Green
With Lilijgren and hope Jet Woo waiting in the wings.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
No way in hell does Anaheim trade Manson. Don't see Pesce either, him and Slavin will be paired together for a long time.

See what Carlson wants in the off season and go from there.
we dont need another gardiner that plays more minutes

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
Does Calvin de Haan play right side? If Dermott solidifies himself as top 4 defenceman and Zaitsev bounces back we're fine, but getting another top 4 defenceman would be good so Gardiner doesn't get too overused in situations not suited for him.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Manson would cost nylander most likely do I wouldn't go after him. I would target brodin from the wild, brodie from the flames, and sign one of ian Cole/mike green as f/a yo a 2 year deal. Trade for a top 4 rhd who is better at defensive play than providing offense and sign a f/a rhd whose a vet and can chip in points.

Offer.

Backend
Rielly-Brodin
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey/Borgman- Green

I think Brodin is exactly the type of player we need. However, he shoot lefts and as far as I know has never played on the right side.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Carlson at this point has to be the top candidate, owing to being the only real UFA option available... assuming he makes it to UFA.

If Montreal feels they need a rebuild, Weber could be available. Tanev should be on the market.

Reactions: Steven Rush

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think Brodin is exactly the type of player we need. However, he shoot lefts and as far as I know has never played on the right side.
Oh damn I thought he was a rhd. If he shoots left, we could maybe make rielly play the right side and see how he does. I agree that brodin is the type of defender we need. Not going to produce much but is a calm defender with good transitional play. He also has a good contract which is beneficial for the leafs.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He played on the right side in Sweden, next to Klefbom. He also played on the right when he first entered the league, paired with Suter. He's been on the left for the last few seasons, though.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Does Calvin de Haan play right side? If Dermott solidifies himself as top 4 defenceman and Zaitsev bounces back we're fine, but getting another top 4 defenceman would be good so Gardiner doesn't get too overused in situations not suited for him.
i think he just plays left side

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Depends on what you want to give up. I'm not touching Nylander in a trade - so working form there.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they look at Travis Hamonic again this summer. Calgary needs RWers and draft picks. We have both of those things.

Depth wise - I mentioned Greg Pateryn in the UFA thread as a good potential signing. Played 19 and half minutes on average last season and shouldn't break he bank/cap to sign.

Last edited:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
he's not a right handed Dmen but I think Ryan Murray could be a buy low type of move with bigger potential upside if he can get past the injury issue's he's the exact type of Dmen we need other then he doesn't shoot right, and is young. I think the injuries have probably slowed his development but if he gets by that he could still see a significant steps in development.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
dont think there is a point of Brodin may as well just keep Gardiner and move Rielly over.
Parayko and Pesce are untouchable at this point.
Doughty is 2019 is obviously the dream.
Hamonic is kinda risky given his poor year in Calgary and inability to move the puck well

here are some options:
Older and Risky: Tanev
Perfect but too Pricey: Manson
Young to grow with team: Dante Fabbro

I would definitely try and get Fabbro. Having Fabbro, Lilj and Rasanen in the pipeline sets us up very well long term with Rielly and Dermott on the left.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Which RD do you go after? All of them until you can get 3 of them! ;)

Reactions: garce

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Is there a position more badly needed on this team other than RD?

I can see Pesce, Manson and Hjalmamarsson (shoots left but comfortable playing right) as likely candidates to acquire. They are all above average at shot suppression and all are on teams needing an upgrade in offense.

Who else would you target for the RD position next year?

I think they must be RHD. Clearing it on your backhand is clearing it on your backhand, no matter how comfortable you are.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
What I think happens is we sign Ozhiganov and let Holl/Ozhiganov/possibly Polak for the #3 hole and retool for next year's UFA class.

Or a depth guy like Engelland, who can play the right side, on a Hainsey like deal in UFA.

Most of the guys people have listed aren't being moved anytime soon, and certainly not for cheap. Unfortunately, there aren't many quality right handed shots available on the open market right now.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I would do everything in my power to get Doughty, although it pains me to think about what goes the other way.

I think we have a lot of potential in the minors if developed properly. I also think very high of Lilly, so lets be patient and upgrade where we can.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
What I think happens is we sign Ozhiganov and let Holl/Ozhiganov/possibly Polak for the #3 hole and retool for next year's UFA class.

Or a depth guy like Engelland, who can play the right side, on a Hainsey like deal in UFA.

Most of the guys people have listed aren't being moved anytime soon, and certainly not for cheap. Unfortunately, there aren't many quality right handed shots available on the open market right now.

To get the very best D without the high cost and low salary....gotta draft them.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We just need a steady, physical, stay at home defenceman that can also skate and move the puck. He doesn't need to put up 40-50 points a year. We already have that element on our blueline.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
If you are able to sign Tavares for nothing but cap space, why would you not move one of Nylander or Marner for an equivalent in return?
Let's say for arguments sake you can get McAvoy for Nylander. McAvoy is the RD you so badly need and Tavares more than makes up for what you lose in Nylander.

You gain McAvoy and Tavares and lose Nylander. That's a win, is it not?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Winnipeg's right side is Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers.

I mean, I don't know if they would deal any, but maybe there is a match?

They have some huge salary considerations themselves in the next 24 months (Wheeler, Laine, Armia, Connor, Trouba, Myers, Hellebucyk).

Poolman can play RD too for them and is good.

Offer.

Backend
Rielly-Brodin
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey/Borgman- Green

Brodin for an extended Gardiner 1 for 1 is quite fair.

CDH does not play RD and has not.

Brodin has not played RD for a while but did 1-2 years ago, this year was firmly LD on the 2nd pairing behind Suter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad