Which RD do you go after?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No particular wishlist as I could be sold on a number of D as upgrades in the right scenario, that ideally play the right side. Maybe it's by trade, maybe free agency. Don't think everyone is necessarily available for any price in terms of a trade, but concede that sometimes you never know who is available until you realize who you're willing to part with in order to make that deal.

I was ultimately okay with how the season played out, and though I don't believe we need wholesale changes, I think the handful of changes we make throughout the team will be enough to hopefully help take that next step forward.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If you are able to sign Tavares for nothing but cap space, why would you not move one of Nylander or Marner for an equivalent in return?
Let's say for arguments sake you can get McAvoy for Nylander. McAvoy is the RD you so badly need and Tavares more than makes up for what you lose in Nylander.

You gain McAvoy and Tavares and lose Nylander. That's a win, is it not?
I would trade Kadri if Tavares signed, not Nylander.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If you are able to sign Tavares for nothing but cap space, why would you not move one of Nylander or Marner for an equivalent in return?
Let's say for arguments sake you can get McAvoy for Nylander. McAvoy is the RD you so badly need and Tavares more than makes up for what you lose in Nylander.

You gain McAvoy and Tavares and lose Nylander. That's a win, is it not?

Boston doesn't deal McAvoy for Nylander...

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't think that you could put a price on Manson. The Ducks would never trade him period. He has 4 more years on a team friendly contract. He does things that no other Ducks D can do. And believe it or not, Manson not only was 3rd in points for D 5v5 in the NHL last year, had also the highest P/60 among D in the league last season (5v5).

Manson 1.49
Ellis 1.48
Klingberg 1.47
Karlsson 1.44

He is invaluable. As he was taken 160 OA a year after his draft year, I support Hunter taking a gamble on the 4 or 5 giant D they have drafted over the last couple years. If one of them could turn into half the D Manson is, it would be a huge windfall.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think that Carolina would be a good spot... what is even??

Fleury....... kappy??
Slavin/ hanafin... Nylander???

They have at like 25 and under

Faulk
Pesce
Slavin
Hanafin
Fleury
Bean.

We have to be able to make a deal somewhere there.....

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Getting a good RHD through either trades or UFA signings is going to cost a lot. If the solution was simple or cheap the Leafs would have already done it. If the solution was simple Hunter wouldn't have looked so excited when Liljegren was still available at 17.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I think that Carolina would be a good spot... what is even??

Fleury....... kappy??
Slavin/ hanafin... Nylander???

They have at like 25 and under

Faulk
Pesce
Slavin
Hanafin
Fleury
Bean.

We have to be able to make a deal somewhere there.....

Only Faulk and Pesce are RHD. I don't see them trading either.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Only Faulk and Pesce are RHD. I don't see them trading either.

The RHD thing is way over rated. We can have a lhd who plays the right side. It’s actually super common. We have Lilly coming up and Z long term....... fleury is exactly what we need

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Carlson is not good defensively. Why would we sign him? WE have enough of what he brings.
What makes you think he's not good defensively?

He brings a top talent to a position we need dearly.
If he tests the waters in FA I think management whoever that should really try to get him to a deal that can work.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Carlson at this point has to be the top candidate, owing to being the only real UFA option available... assuming he makes it to UFA.

If Montreal feels they need a rebuild, Weber could be available. Tanev should be on the market.
Like I said on the previous thread about Tavares, it comes down to Cap. Carlson is probably getting 7-8 million on the open market. The Leafs have to sign Nylander next year off an ELC and still have to have enough for Matthews and Marner the year after. Between the three of them we are probably looking at $22-25 million. Given we already spent 6.25 million locking in Marleau for two more season (with a NMC to boot) I don’t think the Buds have to money right now to afford a top pairing quality UFA right handed D who is in his late 20s. Not for the dollar amount or term that another team could offer.

A trade seems more feasible. I hear Tanev to the Leafs kicked around by Canucks fans a lot, but it usually involves Nylander and/or Liljegren going the other way, which would be ridiculous. If Canucks management is shopping him at a reasonable price, he would fit the bill (reasonable contract, top 4, stay at home rhd), but if they want Nylander or Liljigren (or god-forbid Marner) in the return package, then the Leafs obviously can’t make that deal, especially not with Tanev’s injury history.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Like I said on the previous thread about Tavares, it comes down to Cap. Carlson is probably getting 7-8 million on the open market. The Leafs have to sign Nylander next year off an ELC and still have to have enough for Matthews and Marner the year after. Between the three of them we are probably looking at $22-25 million. Given we already spent 6.25 million locking in Marleau for two more season (with a NMC to boot) I don’t think the Buds have to money right now to afford a top pairing quality UFA right handed D who is in his late 20s. Not for the dollar amount or term that another team could offer.

A trade seems more feasible. I hear Tanev to the Leafs kicked around by Canucks fans a lot, but it usually involves Nylander and/or Liljegren going the other way, which would be ridiculous. If Canucks management is shopping him at a reasonable price, he would fit the bill (reasonable contract, top 4, stay at home rhd), but if they want Nylander or Liljigren (or god-forbid Marner) in the return package, then the Leafs obviously can’t make that deal, especially not with Tanev’s injury history.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/145262499/

Lowballed some numbers there, but had $5 mil in cap space left.... It can be done.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Depending on the cost I would like Nikita Zadorov. He’s inconsistent but young, he’s also fast for such a big kid and plays mean.

Would probably cost Nylander/Marner, Av fans value him like crazy and Sakic mentioned him specifically as a core player.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
dont think there is a point of Brodin may as well just keep Gardiner and move Rielly over.
Parayko and Pesce are untouchable at this point.
Doughty is 2019 is obviously the dream.
Hamonic is kinda risky given his poor year in Calgary and inability to move the puck well

here are some options:
Older and Risky: Tanev
Perfect but too Pricey: Manson
Young to grow with team: Dante Fabbro

I would definitely try and get Fabbro. Having Fabbro, Lilj and Rasanen in the pipeline sets us up very well long term with Rielly and Dermott on the left.
What do you think Fabbro would cost?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I actually think that an op post of Myers for gardiner makes some degree of sense for fit. Especially if we aren’t looking at jake long term.

They have a cap crunch with
Trouba (6x6?????)
Morriset (4.5 per?)
Helly (6 ish or more as a vezina finalist)
To sign. As well as bonus hits for laine etc to fit in

They currently are running.

Morrisey. Trouba
Enstrom. Buff

With Myers on third pair

Could go with letting Toby go and

Morrisey trouba
Jake. Buff

Save 1.5 for cap and we could go

Rielly.
Hainsey Myers
Dermott. Z

And have a shot at a tanev etc or a dehaahn or or a LHD which are easier to fibd

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Did he always???? I don’t think he had a problem in Detroit with off side D..... isn’t kronwall left?? Is he an option

I can't say that he has forever, but Babs has made it clear for many, many years that he hates it, and has given the reasons why. And yes, he had a problem with it in Detroit. He had to deal with it because the Wings had few RHD in his later years, but his GM couldn't resolve the issue and Detroit sucked.

Babs said that if Dermott had been a RHD he would have made the team out of training camp. Because Dermott was a LHD the Leafs got Pollak, and Dermott eventually came up to replace Borgman.

The other thing Babs has a major problem with is young D who allow high numbers of SCA and especially HDCA. He complained about the HDCAs from Holl and Dermott during Holl's second game. It didn't matter the ice was completely tilted in the Leafs favour when the two were on the ice together, Holl was sent down and Babs said that Dermott was on notice. Fleury allows a lot of HDCAs (way more than his teammates) despite not facing strong competition and despite Carolina allowing fewer than the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad