Which RD do you go after?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You wouldn't do Seth Jones for Nylander straight up?
I would, but Jones isn't going to get traded.

I understand the Nylander for defense-idea, but d-men of his caliber aren't made available. The exception would be a Jones-situation, where you have a guy who is already really good but is blocked by depth. I don't think there's such a case anywhere around the league right now.

Edit: I think a Nylander-Hamilton trade is actually a possibility. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd rather go another route.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I saw Tyler Dellow post about Washington trading us Niskanen and Orpik to free up cap to keep Carlsson. Niskanen is a sold top 4 RHD and Orpik's deal is up next year. Perfect fit really. Depending on the Caps of course.

Taking back Orpik wouldn't be ideal, but a Gardiner @ 50% for Niskanen could make a lot of sense.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I’d trade Nylander now while his value is still high.

Jets will want to move Myers, who would instantly become your number 1 d on your current roster, number 2 depending on who you get in a Nylander trade, as jets wouldn’t be interested in Nylander.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Jets will want to move Myers, who would instantly become your number 1 d on your current roster, number 2 depending on who you get in a Nylander trade, as jets wouldn’t be interested in Nylander.

Jets could be interested in Nylander if they strongly believe he can play 2C. Leafs could be interested in Myers for obvious reasons. Doubt any trade would happen involving Nylander & Myers bc their age difference and contract status difference.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Jets could be interested in Nylander if they strongly believe he can play 2C. Leafs could be interested in Myers for obvious reasons. Doubt any trade would happen involving Nylander & Myers bc their age difference and contract status difference.

Not saying that this would happen from the jets POV, but the leafs would likely want Trouba if they were to give up Nylander. Again not saying anything about value, but that is the player that the leafs would want for Nylander or from the jets in general.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I would not Deal Willy! We have our own Myers style player in Rasanen anyways

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

Myers is a UFA at the end of next season...

- If he walks at the end of the season - he's not close to Nylander value.
- If we have to re-sign him for $7-8 million - he's not close to nylander value.
- He also as no upside at his current age - Nylander might have a lot of upside.
- This would only be a fair trade if they were both 21 or both 28.

The fairest 'straight up' trades with Winnipeg would be:

- Nylander, RW = Trouba, RD
- Nylander, RW = Ehlers, LW
- Nylander, RW = Connor, LW

I don't see any of them happening though.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Nylander goes only for trouba. If jets dont do that then no to trading Nylander. Myers is not comparable to rielly, and is worse then Gardiner as well. He would be our best right shot but not our best dman. Keep him and we will gladly keep nylander.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I would, but Jones isn't going to get traded.

I understand the Nylander for defense-idea, but d-men of his caliber aren't made available. The exception would be a Jones-situation, where you have a guy who is already really good but is blocked by depth. I don't think there's such a case anywhere around the league right now.

Edit: I think a Nylander-Hamilton trade is actually a possibility. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd rather go another route.
I agree 100%. But, to say you wouldn't trade Nylander for anyone is just crazy talk.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not saying that this would happen from the jets POV, but the leafs would likely want Trouba if they were to give up Nylander. Again not saying anything about value, but that is the player that the leafs would want for Nylander or from the jets in general.

No question the Leafs would want Trouba over Myers.....But I don’t think the Leafs would/could make the best offer out there for Trouba if the Jets/Trouba wanted to go in separate directions.

AM34WN29MM16

Nov 4, 2017
Imagine having Rielly, Dermott, Liljegren, Andersson, Merkley, and McIssac all under your organization. It's likely 1 probably won't succeed however that would become a position of strength in a couple years, and they'd all come in on ELC's which would help us build a deep team.
I like all of them individually, but as a group the dcorps would still be undersized. Look at all the teams in the conference finals. All have at least 2 dmen 6'3" or taller.

member 300185

Here is what likely happens. The Leafs will get Nylander asking price and if it is too high, then they will be nearly forced to trade him. The good part is he will for sure bring back a young promising RHD. If Nylander signs for 6 or 6.5 then that is fine too.

Dont be surprised if the Leafs stand pat and bring up Lilly. He had a great year with the Marlies and likely ready to make his mark. He has potential franchise D man written all over him. Before he got sick in his draft year, he was rated to go number 1 OA and he held that spot for 3 months then got mono.

Our RHD is in the system already. And the players we have have a game 7 under their belt and more PO experience.

It will be good folks. One way or the other, the Leafs will be strong again, and hungrier.

member 300185

Forget what Canucks fans are saying about Tanev's worth, the reality is Jim Benning can easily be fleeced in a trade and everyone knows it. Think of what Hamonic got but less because Tanev has a higher AAV, less term, and is injury prone. Also Benning.

2019 1st (lottery protected), Pierre Engvall, Connor Carrick, Josh Leivo/2020 3rd for Tanev.

Give Gardiner his much needed babysitter and roll with this next year:

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Tanev
Hainsey-Zaitsev
Ozhiganov
So tell me why we want him again?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The Leafs will get Nylander asking price and if it is too high, then they will be nearly forced to trade him.
What? No, Leafs will ask Nylander and his asking price will be too high. Why? Because it's a negotiation, both sides will start from what they ideally want. And since it is a negotiation, they will work their way towards a good number. Just like every other contract situation. The only scenario in which they'll be forced to trade him is if Nylander makes himself impossible, which almost never happens. And there's absolutely no reason to think it will happen in this case either.

member 300185

What? No, Leafs will ask Nylander and his asking price will be too high. Why? Because it's a negotiation, both sides will start from what they ideally want. And since it is a negotiation, they will work their way towards a good number. Just like every other contract situation.
Have you not seen how contract negotions work before? Contract negations work like you suggest but with a big difference. If the 2 sides cant come to an agreement, then either one of 2 things happen. The player walks and or is traded or one side gives in to a lower number. If it comes to that, then I will bet my house they trade Nylander for a RHD. That said, I think Nylander is worth between 6 and 6.5. Thats it. No more.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Have you not seen how contract negotions work before? Contract negations work like you suggest but with a big difference. If the 2 sides cant come to an agreement, then either one of 2 things happen. The player walks and or is traded or one side gives in to a lower number. If it comes to that, then I will bet my house they trade Nylander for a RHD. That said, I think Nylander is worth between 6 and 6.5. Thats it. No more.
Like I said, there is absolutely no reason to discuss what will happen in an extremely rare situation that we have no reason to suspect.

So you question if I understand how contract negotiations because while they work exactly like I say, there are some extremely rare exceptions?

member 300185

Like I said, there is absolutely no reason to discuss what will happen in an extremely rare situation that we have no reason to suspect.

So you question if I understand how contract negotiations because while they work exactly like I say, there are some extremely rare exceptions?
How do you figure those situations are extremely rare? At least 20 will go to arbitration over the summer. Most contracts are signed and completed on or before the first day of training camp. You just never hear about the no names that go to arbitration.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Lmao both of you guys are forgetting if an RFA disagrees on their value in a longterm deal then both sides will aim for a short term bridge deal that lets the RFA prove whether they're worth the RFA's opinion or the team's opinion on $ values

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
How do you figure those situations are extremely rare? At least 20 will go to arbitration over the summer. Most contracts are signed and completed on or before the first day of training camp
Well, that is exactly my point. Most get done early. Some go to arbitration and is usually solved between the parties during that process. There's like one case every second year where it goes so far that the team is forced to trade the player.

Lmao both of you guys are forgetting if an RFA disagrees on their value in a longterm deal then both sides will aim for a short term bridge deal that lets the RFA prove whether they're worth the RFA's opinion or the team's opinion on $ values
All I'm saying is that the team being forced to trade an RFA is extremely rare, and not something we should suddenly worry about.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Here is what likely happens. The Leafs will get Nylander asking price and if it is too high, then they will be nearly forced to trade him. The good part is he will for sure bring back a young promising RHD. If Nylander signs for 6 or 6.5 then that is fine too.

Dont be surprised if the Leafs stand pat and bring up Lilly. He had a great year with the Marlies and likely ready to make his mark. He has potential franchise D man written all over him. Before he got sick in his draft year, he was rated to go number 1 OA and he held that spot for 3 months then got mono.

Our RHD is in the system already. And the players we have have a game 7 under their belt and more PO experience.

It will be good folks. One way or the other, the Leafs will be strong again, and hungrier.

Lily isn't ready. Another year away at least. Even then, it would likely take him 3-4 seasons to reach his potential, whatever that might be, though I have doubts potential franchise D man is it. We need quality D men, for those 4-5 years before he reaches his potential. I'm patient, but not that patient. He was a sheltered AHL player last year.... though I would expect his responsibilities to increase dramatically next year.

IMO, we are best not trading away our young talent(Nylander), when there are UFA D men available, even if they get paid more than they are worth.

You ask, why would we be interested in Tanev. You don't know what kind of player he is?

AM34WN29MM16

Nov 4, 2017
How do you figure those situations are extremely rare? At least 20 will go to arbitration over the summer. Most contracts are signed and completed on or before the first day of training camp. You just never hear about the no names that go to arbitration.
Nylander doesn't have arbitraton rights yet.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Well, that is exactly my point. Most get done early. Some go to arbitration and is usually solved between the parties during that process. There's like one case every second year where it goes so far that the team is forced to trade the player.

All I'm saying is that the team being forced to trade an RFA is extremely rare, and not something we should suddenly worry about.
Well I definitely agree with you there. Too many Leafs fans think that we're always going to be the special situation, with this case being 'oh a few RFAs don't sign every year? Oh no our RFA won't sign!' even though the odds heavily show we should believe in us signing him until July 1st, and then we can worry about Nylander's contract situation if he hasn't signed yetp

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad