Which RD do you go after?

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I think a deal centred around Colton Parayko and William Nylander makes sense for both teams.

I don't. Having Nylander as a second line center and kadri moving down to third is ideal. Having three lines that can score and waiting on Lilligren/Rasanen is ideal. Both Liligren and Rasanen give us three years of elc and if we develop them right like dermott that could be huge. I am not sold on this rhd/lhd, I think its over blown.

I fully suspect them to draft even more D this draft. This draft which is bad is full of guys that five years from now will be surprises in the second and third rounds.

I dont want to move any of our big three for D

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Is there a position more badly needed on this team other than RD?

I can see Pesce, Manson and Hjalmarsson (shoots left but comfortable playing right) as likely candidates to acquire.

No way in hell does Anaheim trade Manson. Don't see Pesce either, him and Slavin will be paired together for a long time.

See what Carlson wants in the off season and go from there.

Ya, we can list names until the cows come home, but are guys like this even available? Dreams are nice. Solid plans are better.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Being 6th overall in the regular season and being ready to be a cup contender are not the same thing as this 1st round exit has shown.

I guess it depends on what your definition of a cup contender is.

Who did we lose to in the first round? Remind me, was it a bubble team that barely squeaked into the playoffs?

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Manson would cost nylander most likely do I wouldn't go after him. I would target brodin from the wild, brodie from the flames, and sign one of ian Cole/mike green as f/a yo a 2 year deal. Trade for a top 4 rhd who is better at defensive play than providing offense and sign a f/a rhd whose a vet and can chip in points.

Offer.
To wild: Jake gardiner + 2019 2nd

To leafs: Jonas Brodin

Sign Green to a 2 year deal for 7 million or 1 year 4.5 million deal

Backend
Rielly-Brodin
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey/Borgman- Green
With Lilijgren and hope Jet Woo waiting in the wings.

Don’t post that on the main board...Wild fans view Dumba as a top pairing defenceman/Norris candidate( Hilarious btw) and Brodin is also valued as a top pairing guy lol

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
A healthy Chris Tanev would be awesome.
The problem he’s never healthy and his style of play means his body will break down even quicker. I think the nucks missed their chance to maximize his value. We should be able to get him cheaper especially considering his last injury.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Manson or Trouba would be perfect additions to the team.

I’m starting to feel desperate for a top-pairing RD and, I think, you wait and see what Doughty does—if he’s not available next year then you move one of the kids for a RD.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
If you are able to sign Tavares for nothing but cap space, why would you not move one of Nylander or Marner for an equivalent in return?
Let's say for arguments sake you can get McAvoy for Nylander. McAvoy is the RD you so badly need and Tavares more than makes up for what you lose in Nylander.

You gain McAvoy and Tavares and lose Nylander. That's a win, is it not?
Marner is untouchable for me, he is in the franchise player category. I would move Nylander though for a stud young dman if presented the opportunity.

Reactions: ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Given the choice of trading away someone like Nylander or Marner, and signing a UFA, to slightly more money than they are worth, I'll take signing the UFA thanks. Carlson, trade away lesser pieces for Tanev next.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I just think its not all about defending. Yes it matters, but if you can have a group that are good skaters and can move the puck WELL (like really well), I think you can have a lot of success. If we are honest and look at our current D, they are pretty shitty passers other than Gards and Rielly (both inconsistent in that aspect). Look at how skilled our forwards are, and look how often they are trying to fish the puck off the wall... the puck needs to be tape to tape in motion out of the zone to let them attack. That is what we should be looking for... and I guarantee if that puck gets out cleaner, its not going to matter how poor we are at defensive zone coverage because the puck is going to be long gone 200 feet away!

Reactions: HC7

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I just think its not all about defending. Yes it matters, but if you can have a group that are good skaters and can move the puck WELL (like really well), I think you can have a lot of success. If we are honest and look at our current D, they are pretty ****ty passers other than Gards and Rielly (both inconsistent in that aspect). Look at how skilled our forwards are, and look how often they are trying to fish the puck off the wall... the puck needs to be tape to tape in motion out of the zone to let them attack. That is what we should be looking for... and I guarantee if that puck gets out cleaner, its not going to matter how poor we are at defensive zone coverage because the puck is going to be long gone 200 feet away!

You make some good points. How many times do we see our D make blind backhand passes along the boards when being pressured? Too many for my liking.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My only fear is that (with the GM status in limbo as well) Babcock watched 40 year old Chara play the 1st round against us and we do something foolish trying to address the D.
We need a GM with a solid vision and shrewd asset management.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My only fear is that (with the GM status in limbo as well) Babcock watched 40 year old Chara play the 1st round against us and we do something foolish trying to address the D.

Cognitive bias is certainly something we should avoid.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't. Having Nylander as a second line center and kadri moving down to third is ideal. Having three lines that can score and waiting on Lilligren/Rasanen is ideal. Both Liligren and Rasanen give us three years of elc and if we develop them right like dermott that could be huge. I am not sold on this rhd/lhd, I think its over blown.

I fully suspect them to draft even more D this draft. This draft which is bad is full of guys that five years from now will be surprises in the second and third rounds.

I dont want to move any of our big three for D

I am in the "overreacting and will probably regret it" camp who is dissapointed with Willy's play this season and baffled by his playoffs. If we can trade him and get back a Colton Parayko type player, I would be ecstatic.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No chance. Babcock like fast players, he may give Gardiner an 8 year extension though.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I am in the "overreacting and will probably regret it" camp who is dissapointed with Willy's play this season and baffled by his playoffs. If we can trade him and get back a Colton Parayko type player, I would be ecstatic.
These type of trades are unlikely to happen.
3 options:
1. Trade: This is the hardest one to pull off. Certainly the name you suggest would involve a massive overpayment.
2. UFA: Not many available this year and certainly comes with a risk of paying too much for too long.
3. Drafting: Takes time but the most viable option. Requires solid asset management.

Our best assets for returns to be used are: JVR (gone), Gardiner, (because of pending UFA status) and then who would you consider? In order to bolster an area with the type of player you describe will require bolstering an area for the other team.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Where would they rank on the Leafs?
I'd say that they would be in the same tier as Gardiner. If we had them on the team, I'd use them as our match up pairing and let Rielly do what Gardiner does now, feast in big minutes against secondary matchups.

Maybe what is required is a major shift in playing style and in the forward group?
Yes. We've got a good team, but the way this team is built, we need tenacious and fast two-way forwards. As many as possible.

Reactions: Critical

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad