Speculation: Which players from likely 1st round exits should we target

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He has the offensive skills but I think his transition game is just too important not to have him on the backend. I know he had some real lapses this year, particularly after the Olympic break but still he's the engine that makes this offense go and with a more skilled set of forwards I think he'd be deadly.

I think he would be. If we had more talent upfront our D would look a heck of alot better than what it showed this year.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
To bring my digression back to the topic, I wonder how many other teams out there share Burke's appraisal. We all assume that Yandle, if GMDM were inclined to trade him (and I don't think he is unless someone offers him the world), would bring back a hefty return... but after his numbers this season and his glaringly-evident defensive lapses, is that still true? :badidea:

Yandle is probably not as his peak value. But I think any team with serious power play deficiencies would at least be willing to kick the tires.

Far as the Burke stuff goes, he's not entirely wrong about Yandle. But when he goes and puts Shattenkirk on the team he loses all credibility on the subject.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
If we can swing Yandle for Hertl, I would do it.

It would allow us that much more room in salary to sign an impact forward.
I suspect (hope?) you're alone in that opinion if for no other reason than Yandle is completely proven, Hertl not even remotely.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I like Callahan but I think he's going to get paid about 2 million per year too much.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I like Callahan but I think he's going to get paid about 2 million per year too much.

Probably; but that's the nature of UFA. I don't think we can improve out team much through FA without overpaying a value a good amount. Unless we get lucky, and take a chance on some come-back type of situation, and see the player revive their career here.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think "some real lapses" understates the issue quite dramatically. I love his offensive prowess but his defense is abominable. It's funny, because when Brian Burke's comments about him re: the Olympic team were made public, I was incensed... but then I paid more attention to Yandle's play, and Burke was 100% right.

To bring my digression back to the topic, I wonder how many other teams out there share Burke's appraisal. We all assume that Yandle, if GMDM were inclined to trade him (and I don't think he is unless someone offers him the world), would bring back a hefty return... but after his numbers this season and his glaringly-evident defensive lapses, is that still true? :badidea:

I'd actually surmise quite a few teams are on that same appraisal level. 3 of the 4 individuals that chose the USA team did not want Yandle on there. I had the opportunity to sit next to a president of a team about 3-4 years ago, and I asked him about Yandle. He and the two scouts all made a similar noise and basically said, "We'll pass..."

I think it comes down to 2 things - the decision making aspect and the reactions on ice. I've seen OEL turn the puck over and within a split-second, he is reacting to his misplay in the best way possible. With Yandle, his reaction never seems to be immediate and the result when making a quick decision is usually not the most optimal solution.

Just watch games and if you see a TO by Yandle or OEL, watch their reactions and the results of the reactions. I guarantee that OEL has not only quicker reactions, but he also makes the safer (right) decision.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Detroit is going to cut ties with Legwand. I wouldn't mind him as a third line C, allowing Ribs to move to wing.

Ribeiro-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Boeds
Domi-Legwand-Erat

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Certainly won't mind adding to our would-be Pokemon collection of ex-core Preds with Legwand. Reuniting with Erat could be an incentive for him to sign here for a year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Detroit is going to cut ties with Legwand. I wouldn't mind him as a third line C, allowing Ribs to move to wing.

Ribeiro-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Boeds
Domi-Legwand-Erat

I don't see Ribeiro as a winger on this team. He's a set up player, and from the wing he will be much less effective.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I don't see Ribeiro as a winger on this team. He's a set up player, and from the wing he will be much less effective.

Tippett utilized Ribs at wing on occasions in Dallas. And I'm not sure what's the rationale for the conjecture that setup players are less effective on the wing - Kane, Whitney, St. Louis, Hemsky, Parenteau, Zuccarello, Palat - all are good/great playmakers on the wing. Ribeiro's deficiencies in the dot and on defense in general would be minimized by having him on the wing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tippett utilized Ribs at wing on occasions in Dallas. And I'm not sure what's the rationale for the conjecture that setup players are less effective on the wing - Kane, Whitney, St. Louis, Hemsky, Parenteau, Zuccarello, Palat - all are good/great playmakers on the wing. Ribeiro's deficiencies in the dot and on defense in general would be minimized by having him on the wing.

But they are natural wingers, were Ribeiro is a natural center. I could see DT use Ribeiro occasionally on wing but not permanently.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
But they are natural wingers, were Ribeiro is a natural center. I could see DT use Ribeiro occasionally on wing but not permanently.

Far easier to get a two-way center that allows us to shift Ribeiro to wing than finding a top 6 scoring winger that isn't noticeably deficient in some respect this offseason. As long as Tippett sticks with Ribeiro - Hanzal - Vrbata as a permanent line starting in TC and doesn't do his incessant line juggling, the transition shouldn't be that hard.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Far easier to get a two-way center that allows us to shift Ribeiro to wing than finding a top 6 scoring winger that isn't noticeably deficient in some respect this offseason. As long as Tippett sticks with Ribeiro - Hanzal - Vrbata as a permanent line starting in TC and doesn't do his incessant line juggling, the transition shouldn't be that hard.

I know what your saying, but Ribeiro didn't do much this past year in his natural position so I would not expect much from him playing wing. Can you imagine him fighting for the puck in the corners? I think DT will try and let Ribeiro redeem himself at center and if that fails and you have nothing to loose then try him at wing.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I know what your saying, but Ribeiro didn't do much this past year in his natural position so I would not expect much from him playing wing. Can you imagine him fighting for the puck in the corners? I think DT will try and let Ribeiro redeem himself at center and if that fails and you have nothing to loose then try him at wing.

Ribeiro is more or less a spunkier version of the Wizard - I think he'd actually be a little better along the boards than Whitney if he's motivated, haha. But again, I think given his career-long ineptitude at faceoffs and below-average defense, shifting him to wing puts him in a better position to produce and reduces his liabilities.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

So you are saying that we should make an offer to Bolland?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
What about possibility of snagging Hemsky as a UFA? I know Don prefers his prospects to overcook in the minors (*sigh*), but hypothetically, you could put him on the line with the Hanzal and Vrby, move Ribs back to center.

Hemsky-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Domi-Ribs-Erat
Chipchura-UFA- Bissonnette (can't go wrong with an enforcer, haha)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What about possibility of snagging Hemsky as a UFA? I know Don prefers his prospects to overcook in the minors (*sigh*), but hypothetically, you could put him on the line with the Hanzal and Vrby, move Ribs back to center.

Hemsky-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Domi-Ribs-Erat
Chipchura-UFA- Bissonnette (can't go wrong with an enforcer, haha)

FWIW I have heard incessant rumors that GMDM has coveted Hemsky for a while and is keen to sign him, but they're still just rumors.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
FWIW I have heard incessant rumors that GMDM has coveted Hemsky for a while and is keen to sign him, but they're still just rumors.

I like Hemsky, it's a "younger" version of Ray Whitney, who made Vrbata good in 11/12 (I believe, could be wrong). Then you move Ribero to feed pucks to Erat and Domi and score like the dickens!!!

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I like Hemsky, it's a "younger" version of Ray Whitney, who made Vrbata good in 11/12 (I believe, could be wrong). Then you move Ribero to feed pucks to Erat and Domi and score like the dickens!!!

Into it. And I really like that Domi-Ribs-Erat line. I think Domi should be playing with a more offensive center man than one of our shutdown centers. But someone needs to play a defensive game and Erat can do that without losing too much of an offensive end.

I think if we can't get Vrby to resign reasonably Milan should be targeted as well.

Hemsky-Hanzal-Milan looks just as good as Hemsky-Hanzal-Vrby and could be 2-3 million less.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Into it. And I really like that Domi-Ribs-Erat line. I think Domi should be playing with a more offensive center man than one of our shutdown centers. But someone needs to play a defensive game and Erat can do that without losing too much of an offensive end.

I think if we can't get Vrby to resign reasonably Milan should be targeted as well.

Hemsky-Hanzal-Milan looks just as good as Hemsky-Hanzal-Vrby and could be 2-3 million less.

Is Milan that much of an upgrade than Vrby? The man is injured a lot from what I've seem. Vrbata is streaky at times, and I think Milan is too. So I'm not sure how much of and upgrade he would be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad