Speculation: Which players from likely 1st round exits should we target

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
There are certainly several teams, who are on the verge, or have already lost this round. If they had high hopes of advancing, then there certainly are some possibilities in terms of moving certain players. Here are some candidates that we might be able to land relatively cheaply, if their teams decide that some major changes to the rosters would have to happen.

So which ones should we be targeting, should they become avaiable?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Many DAL fans think Chiasson has leveled off badly this year and they're pretty dissatisfied with him.

Their GM Jim Nill is far more patient than most hf fans, but take that for what it's worth ...

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Since the blues are now just eliminated in just about the most humiliating fashion, you have to think that they would become somewhat open to dealing some of their core players.

Guys like Steen, Berglund, Oshie, etc, could really help us if they become available....

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
That depends on how desperate they become. It would be great if we can snag one of Steen/Oshie without giving up on a core piece.

Right now I'm thinking they're going to go hard after a Top 6 scoring center. Statsny looks like he'll be staying in Denver, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues went after Spezza next.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Right now I'm thinking they're going to go hard after a Top 6 scoring center. Statsny looks like he'll be staying in Denver, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Blues went after Spezza next.

If let's say that they were to move Shattenkirk for a 1C, they might be willing to move Oshie for someone like Gormley. That will give them the room to sign a replacement (although lesser) wing for him. Nothing concrete, just on some possibilities. Getting Oshie would be seriously sweet, and then we can probably re-ink Vrbata, and sign a good top-4 D in prime, if the salary goes up moderately above our projected budget.

Alternatively maybe even better, we might be able to move Yandle + pick for Oshie + someone like Rattie (to replace Shattenkirk), filling two holes on our top-9. StL can sign someone else to fill the wing slot, and we can probably sign someone like Robidas to play with Gormley, and still retain Vrbata, which would still put us in budget.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Alternatively maybe even better, we might be able to move Yandle + pick for Oshie + someone like Rattie (to replace Shattenkirk), filling two holes on our top-9.

I remember the very first HFBoards trade I worked out that Blues HFers were also receptive to was Yandle for Oshie, Schwartz, and a 1st back in 2012. Ugh. If only, haha.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I remember the very first HFBoards trade I worked out that Blues HFers were also receptive to was Yandle for Oshie, Schwartz, and a 1st back in 2012. Ugh. If only, haha.

Only if.....

That would seriously make us one of the deepest teams up front right now.

Some blues fans offered us schwartz + for gormley at one point too, and I remember that schwartz + steen for gormley +1st was discussed at a certain point.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd like to sign Ott. I'd try to trade for Sutter or Eller. If neither can be had for a reasonable price, I'd go for Ott (only with Tippett's blessing, of course).

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder if Ott's pretty good playoffs makes St. Louis more willing to resign him.

Blues HFers are definitely not happy with Berglund, who turned in a pretty underwhelming performance in a contract year and was a -7 against Chicago. I think he can be had for a pretty affordable price. Korpi would look good for them alongside Sobotoka on their 3rd line.

Maybe we can get both Berglund and Ott, haha.

Berglund - Ribeiro - Vrbata
Domi - Vermette - Boedker
Doan - Hanzal - Erat
McMillan - Ott - Vitale/Brown (would still like to go after Vitale as we'd still need a RH for faceoffs)

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Every player would need to be near or at career highs for that to be a playoff team.

Yeah, I don't know about that. We missed the playoffs by like two points despite 80% of the team playing like dog **** for 80% of the season, and that forward group looks one hell of a whole lot better than the crap we ran out all season long.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yeah, I don't know about that. We missed the playoffs by like two points despite 80% of the team playing like dog **** for 80% of the season, and that forward group looks one hell of a whole lot better than the crap we ran out all season long.

Based on what? The 'promise' Ribeiro and Vrbata showed together for a handful of shifts? Your anticipated contributions from a one dimensional rookie that will be lucky to find himself not stapled to the bench or in the press box? Because Hanzal and Erat looked so great together? Doan suddenly returning to early season form?

Patrick "probably 40 points" Berglund is the magical answer?

The Coyotes were 'almost' a playoff team because they shot a historic percentage early in the season and then came back to earth, while the two teams in front did their best to not make the playoffs. It helped that there was a goalie in there putting up stupid numbers at the right time until he got hurt.

I don't see it. And Maloney doesn't either, which is why he has promised change.

rt

May 13, 2004
Key word was "looks". :)

Simply by virtue of not including Klinkhammer, Moss, and Kennedy in prominent top nine roles? Haha.

Berglund, Erat, and Domi can't be much worse, can they? :dunno:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I would rather go bigger on something Tippett will actually use in a scoring left winger. Bigger than Berglund. The 4th line tends to be where Tippett hides his utility players rather than an actual line that gets rolled. I hate that. Maybe paying Ott a lot of money would change that, or maybe that's money better spent elswehere.

The way to do both involves trading Yandle or Z to cut salary. Worth considering, depending on the forward you could get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad