Which past prospect were you completely wrong about?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I've come here to embarrass myself. I've been in the same dynasty league since 2010. These are my first round draft picks for that league based on my expert prospect analysis:

2010: Brandon Gormley - I saw him in the memorial cup and I absolutely had to have him, passed on Jaden Schwartz and Kuznetsov to take him
2011: Ryan Murphy - I saw him in several games and thought I had the next Paul Coffey on my hands. Despite the fact that this was a terrible draft overall, I passed on the likes of JT Miller, Oscar Klefbom & Rikard Rakell to take him
2012: Mikhail Grigorenko - I couldn't believe my luck when he fell to me at 9th overall in my fantasy draft. The big, agile Russian centerman was a sure thing I thought. Passed on Trouba, Hertl, Vasilevski to take him.
2013: Curtis Lazar - I fell in love with the kid, not the player due to his leadership and charisma at the WJC that year, I thought for sure he would turn himself into a quality NHL player, if only by force of his will. I thought I had the next Chris Drury on my hands. I passed on Shea Theodore, Anthony Mantha and Ryan Pulock among others to take him.
2014: Antony DeAngelo - I couldn't believe my luck when he fell all the way to #17 in my draft, I saw him in several games for Sarnia and he was the most talented offensive player I had ever seen at his age. I passed on Fabbri, Kapanen, Schmaltz & Pastrnak to take him.
2015: Pavel Zacha. Based on how poorly I had drafted over the previous 5 years, I had #5 overall. I fell in love with Zacha, I can't even bear to think about all the players I passed on to take him. Holy ****.
2016: German Rubtsov. I'm starting to get really depressed.
2017: Juuso Valimaki...I have no idea.

So, in summary, if you are ever in need of an ace talent evaluator for your fantasy team, just PM me and ask me who I'm taking in the 1st round and then at least you have one player to eliminate from consideration.

Cheers

Thank you for sharing!

I too was really high on Murphy and Rubtsov. The jury is still out on Valimaki but we'll see.

TwoPiece

Jul 24, 2018
I've come here to embarrass myself. I've been in the same dynasty league since 2010. These are my first round draft picks for that league based on my expert prospect analysis:

2010: Brandon Gormley - I saw him in the memorial cup and I absolutely had to have him, passed on Jaden Schwartz and Kuznetsov to take him
2011: Ryan Murphy - I saw him in several games and thought I had the next Paul Coffey on my hands. Despite the fact that this was a terrible draft overall, I passed on the likes of JT Miller, Oscar Klefbom & Rikard Rakell to take him
2012: Mikhail Grigorenko - I couldn't believe my luck when he fell to me at 9th overall in my fantasy draft. The big, agile Russian centerman was a sure thing I thought. Passed on Trouba, Hertl, Vasilevski to take him.
2013: Curtis Lazar - I fell in love with the kid, not the player due to his leadership and charisma at the WJC that year, I thought for sure he would turn himself into a quality NHL player, if only by force of his will. I thought I had the next Chris Drury on my hands. I passed on Shea Theodore, Anthony Mantha and Ryan Pulock among others to take him.
2014: Antony DeAngelo - I couldn't believe my luck when he fell all the way to #17 in my draft, I saw him in several games for Sarnia and he was the most talented offensive player I had ever seen at his age. I passed on Fabbri, Kapanen, Schmaltz & Pastrnak to take him.
2015: Pavel Zacha. Based on how poorly I had drafted over the previous 5 years, I had #5 overall. I fell in love with Zacha, I can't even bear to think about all the players I passed on to take him. Holy ****.

So, in summary, if you are ever in need of an ace talent evaluator for your fantasy team, just PM me and ask me who I'm taking in the 1st round and then at least you have one player to eliminate from consideration.

Cheers
Holy crap.

To be fair, Don Cherry was jerking off Ryan Murphy all year prior to the draft. Early on, he claimed that he'll be taken 1st overall.

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
Ty Rattie - I was pretty high on him... maybe playing with Mcdavid will boost his stat
David Rundblad - plain bad
Ryan Murray - still waiting for him to pan out
Anthony DeAngelo
Keaton Ellerby - man that guy was a beast in NHL 2012
Gilbert Brule
Sasha Pokulok - probably one of the worst pick ever
Jack Campbell

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I thought Brendan Gaunce would be a 50-60 point, #2 or #3 centre, especially after his OHL playoff performance in 2012-2013.

I still don't think he's a total write off/bust right now, and deserves another call-up this season, but it's looking pretty bleak now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Cheers

I’ve burned by a lot of Russians

Was a big fan of Filatov, Burmistrov, Grigorenko, and Rubtsov (early... but not so hot)

I also thought MPS was going to be a bigger version of Zetterberg :facepalm:

Was also a really big Huberdeau fan, but I guess he’s finally coming around. Watched him play with Jurco and Phillips that year and thought all 3 were going to be good. The other 2 guys ended up as nothing essentially.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As a Canucks fan I wish I had been wrong about Virtanen but he simply can't process the game fast enough to remain a top 6 player for a good team.

Other Canucks are

Hunter Shinkaruk, I went nuts watching the draft when he fell to us..man was I ever wrong on that guy.

Same with Jordan Schroeder although not as much as Hunter.

Dido Cody Hodgson, although at least he had a bit of an excuse.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
As a Canucks fan I wish I had been wrong about Virtanen but he simply can't process the game fast enough to remain a top 6 player for a good team.

Other Canucks are

Hunter Shinkaruk, I went nuts watching the draft when he fell to us..man was I ever wrong on that guy.

I thought Jason King was going to be a player for you guys.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
I thought Alexander Korolyuk was going to be at the very least a Rucinsky-type.

Boy, was I wrong.

Also thought Colten Teubert was going to be the next Chris Pronger... he fell off a cliff right quick.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Other Canucks are

If Virtanen works hard on his shot he can be a David Booth type player. Dumb as a door knob but enough tools to make it work as a second 25 goal scorer.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Virtanen works hard on his shot he can be a David Booth type player. Dumb as a door knob but enough tools to make it work as a second 25 goal scorer.
That's the problem though.

That's not a top 6 player on a SC team IMO.

They fell in love with his size plain and simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad