Which past prospect were you completely wrong about?

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I thought Stefan Noeson was going to be a top line power forward.

Mind you people were still obsessed about power forwards in 2011 thanks to the Bruins.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Gormley - like others have said I too was almost positive he was destined for a long NHL career as an impact D.

Drouin - yet to be completely seen, but I thought this kid was going to be at least a 75+ point player by now, Jury is still out and I still believe in his talent but to this point I have been disappointed.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Tomas Jurco for me. He had the size and the skill, just not the brain to process the game at the pace it was played at in the NHL.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Big Griff. Even though the skating was never there he always looked like he just knew how to position himself and read the play to be able to deal with the speedy skaters. I thought he was a guaranteed top-3D in the making. Unfortunately I remember the Isles playing him in the 2015 playoffs with very little regular season experience and he just looked completely overwhelmed. I think that was the start of the downfall for Reinhart.

Luckily Garth worked some magic on that one. Still don't know how he managed to pull that trade off.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Matt Finn. I thought for sure we had gotten a steal. Things went wrong for him and who knows where he is now.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Mathew Barzal : I thought he would be some middle six center 50 to 65 pts at best. Hell I admit that I wanted him in the draft without knowing Rantanen and I was wondering why he fell that bad in the draft. So I apologize to Isles fans for thinking that Barzal would probably never be what Duchene is in trade proposal even if I'm still very happy with what we've got in that trade. Now I eat my words seeing how good he is :(

Agree. I was one who thought Barzal for Duchene straight up would have been a good deal for the Islanders. Glad that did not happen.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Seth Jones is a bonafide #1 defenseman and arguably a better player than Barkov. The Panthers would have been extremely happy either way.

No chance would us Panthers fans be happy knowing we don’t have a number one center. Not a single Panthers fan would want Seth Jones over Barkov. Barkov is arguable top 4-7 at his position which happens to be the most important one in the NHL.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
One of the biggest has to be brendl. That guy was unstoppable for the hitmen in the WHL. Another guy that I thought was doing to be a big scorer in the NHL was Eric Fehr. He still managed to have a solid carrer

Watching Brendl in the Memorial Cup in 1999. He was just so dangerous at all times it gave you that same edge of your seat sensation Jagr triggered around that time, where he just felt like at any moment he could do something. Very few players I've ever seen in junior that are that dominant. You knew he was high risk due to being one dimensional, but it's incredible to me he only scored 11 NHL goals.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nikita Filatov, was sure he was going to be a big impact player..

Lol huh?

Never thought Lars Eller would be a mainstay in the NHL with impact.

Just won a cup..

And like the poster above, MdC was my fav. prospect out of 2014, even sported his pic as an avatar... boy was I wrong.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No chance would us Panthers fans be happy knowing we don’t have a number one center. Not a single Panthers fan would want Seth Jones over Barkov. Barkov is arguable top 4-7 at his position which happens to be the most important one in the NHL.
Jones is also top 4-7 at his position though, which happens to be the most improtant one in the NHL, depending on who you ask.

Both are great and I understand why you would keep Barkov though, I would too, knowing one thing :It's much easier to find great Ds, than it is to find great Cs,.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Matt Finn
Jesse Blacker
Luca Caputi

Thought Pogge was gonna be a stud too lol

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Cody Hodgson (excused on account of his health condition)
Nicklas Jensen
Hunter Shinkaruk
Nikita Filatov
Kyle Beach
Mattias Tedenby
Evgeny Grachev (whom I thought would amount to something because he was a linemate of Matt Duchene and Cody Hodgson)
Stefan Elliott
Toni Rajala
Xavier Ouellet
Dalton Thrower
Joni Ikonen

I vaguely recall being dismissive of Nicolas Hague and that will probably come back to bite me

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Cody Hodgson (excused on account of his health condition)
Nicklas Jensen
Hunter Shinkaruk
Nikita Filatov
Kyle Beach
Mattias Tedenby
Evgeny Grachev (whom I thought would amount to something because he was a linemate of Matt Duchene and Cody Hodgson)
Stefan Elliott
Toni Rajala
Xavier Ouellet
Dalton Thrower
Joni Ikonen

I vaguely recall being dismissive of Nicolas Hague and that will probably come back to bite me
well that was quick

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Peter Sejna
Petr Cajenek
Eric Boguniecki
Timofei Shishkanov
5LJ8f57_d.jpg

Reactions: Lancer

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hunter Shinkaruk, thought he was going to be a Panarin type. After he was traded to Calgary is when things probably went downhill for him. Also Jared McCann.

Both those guys I remember teared up training camp and pre-season (Shinkaruk had highlight reel goals only, meanwhile McCann scored like 5 or 6 goals in 1 pre-season), which is probably why he was rushed into the NHL. Needless to say, both have been quite underwhelming thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad