Which of these is the Senators franchise worst decision of all time?

DaigleFan

Oct 11, 2013
I've been thinking of all the bad decisions this franchise has made. I just thought I'd ask your opinion of which you thought was the worst decision OF ALL TIME. I think the worst really came under Muckler when he made the Hossa for Heatley trade.

Kanye-West-Taylor-Swift-At-MTV-VMA-Awards2.jpg

Not resigning binghamton goaltender Barry Brust

Keeping Redden but letting go Chara

Not claiming Daigle on waivers 05-06 season just before playoffs

Hossa for Heatley trade

Not resigning Ryan Keller after leading Binghamton in goals

Last edited:

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
yep, redden over chara. Mucks backed himself into a corner after offering twin 'hometown' deals, and having chara say no. Chara should have been the priority from the start, worry about redden after you get chara signed.

as for hossa/heatley, it was unavoidable. We simply couldnt afford hossa at the price he wanted. It wasnt possible with our budget at the time. I think hossa learnt a hard lesson during his exile in atlanta, you could see after he got out of there that he really valued signing with the right team over money. Also, mucks was the GM, not murray.

some people like to point to daigle as well, but that too was unavoidable. He was the consensus #1 pick. Just bad luck, maybe some mismanagement by the coaches and management by coddling him and elevating him as a marketing tool, but what happened with daigle is almost all on daigle.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Lee over Kopitar. Well, should be Staal as that was the scouts' guy - but whiffing on Kopitar for a team that had been searching for a 'second line center' for 20 yrs - well that hurts. He's my favourite 'what if' daydream.

At least with Chara/Redden or Heatley/Hossa we still had a pretty good player.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Also not signing Marty ST Louis after he had PTO with the team way back when. But then again, a lot of teams didn't sign him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With hindsight or without hindsight?

Without hindsight, the absolute worst decision the team ever made was not re-signing Hasek.

He was willing to play for bonuses, and could have been rested adequately during the season, and played during the play offs.

They may have cost themselves a cup.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
With hindsight: Hiring Muckler

Without hindsight: Melnyk cheaping out on Alfie. His legacy was priceless.

source

Jul 13, 2008
as for hossa/heatley, it was unavoidable. We simply couldnt afford hossa at the price he wanted. It wasnt possible with our budget at the time. I think hossa learnt a hard lesson during his exile in atlanta, you could see after he got out of there that he really valued signing with the right team over money. Also, mucks was the GM, not murray.

The 7 million to play in Detroit wasn't so bad for Hossa, and the frontloaded deal from Chicago was probably among the very best offers he fielded in 2009, at least in dollar terms.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
The franchise's biggest mistake, IMO, was investing so heavily in Daigle at the expense of Yashin. Daigle got his money first, despite being a weaker player on ice, which meant a small budget got even smaller when it came time for Yashin to negotiate his deals. Fairness goes out the window, the org tries to get thrifty with Yashin, and the end result is one pissed off superstar who feels the organization owes him one.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To be honest, I'd say letting go of Emery.

Murray could have been patient with him but didn't even get asset in return.

Just to see him play instrumental role in playoffs for Chicago

Lolz

angrydad

Oct 20, 2011
To be honest, I'd say letting go of Emery.

Murray could have been patient with him but didn't even get asset in return.

Just to see him play instrumental role in playoffs for Chicago

Lolz

no way. His attitude was terrible, bad attitude to tollerate with a team that had the reputation for being the laziest team in the league at the time. Instrumental role in the playoffs? he didn't do anything in the playoffs for chicago.

whoops. saw this drunk. now I see the sarcasm

Last edited:

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
shannon - shannon - shannon
shannon - shannon - shannon
shannon - shannon - condra
shannon - winchester - shannon

extra man for too many men on the ice penalties: ruutu

defense: brian lee

goalie: kessel's favourite plaything

make it happen, clouston.

hint: the mistake was not letting clouston do the line-up the way he wanted

edit:

doing the math, that line-up would score 130 some goals in a full season. i got that number using shannon's last season here. the problem with using those numbers is that shannon wasn't being used properly (i.e. not on every line, playing almost every spot). factoring in the ice time, absolute chemistry with yourself (see: sedins), and the clouston-shannon bromance, i'd expect at least double production. 260 goals, the absolute minimum to expect with that roster, would have us 4th in 2009-2010, and tied for fourth the year before.

Last edited:

John Holmes*

Is this a joke?

Hossa was underpaid for years, and signed a contract he deserved, and was worth every penny of in good faith. He wanted to be here, and Muckler screwed him.

When in the history of the NHL has a team signed a guy they "couldn't afford" and traded him the next day?

How can anyone side with Muckler on that move? It's as slimy and underhanded as you can get.

That is why NTC's and NMC's exist, and also why Chara bolted the second he could, depending on what you believe.

Hossa for Heatley was by far the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise. It was a horrible move in itself, and cost us the best D in the league as a consequence.

Hiring John Muckler was the beginning of the end.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Easy - Shirtless Centurian dude with his lines taped to the back of his shield. We could win ten Cups in a row and we will never live that one down...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Is this a joke?

Hossa was underpaid for years, and signed a contract he deserved, and was worth every penny of in good faith. He wanted to be here, and Muckler screwed him.

When in the history of the NHL has a team signed a guy they "couldn't afford" and traded him the next day?

How can anyone side with Muckler on that move? It's as slimy and underhanded as you can get.

That is why NTC's and NMC's exist, and also why Chara bolted the second he could, depending on what you believe.

Hossa for Heatley was by far the worst thing that ever happened to the franchise. It was a horrible move in itself, and cost us the best D in the league as a consequence.

Hiring John Muckler was the beginning of the end.

I dont remember hossa having back to back 50 goal seasons :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad