Which of these is the Senators franchise worst decision of all time?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Speaking of beating a horse to death, simple economics you said it yourself.
And don't even act like Murray begged anyone to do anything, the guy has ran the sens into the ground and set the bar knee high.

How many years has he been in charge? One playoff win in all that time.... YAY
and don't even say "rebuild" he traded a couple third liners away, and brought in old high priced UFA's, the only part of it that was a "rebuild" is the low finish in the standings.
Same thing again this year, our best prospect, one of our other best prospects and a first, for a short term rental. Can you say contract year for a desperate Murray?

Murray's a local guy, the cupboard was bare, the AHL team won a Calder Cup, we're in a rebuild! Wait it out until June, if we win a Cup Murray will be proven right!
:sarcasm:

P.S. There are never "contract years for Murray". Melnyk is on his knees in front of Murray. If Murray wants a 10-year extension, Melnyk will grant it. If Murray says "Timmy is boss" then Melnyk will drive him to work. There is no need to set expectations as to playoff success because being average and the "underdog" is much easier to achieve.

Maybe one day...maybe one day we'll have a team that aims for the Cup.

As for our worst move, Chara for sure.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Taking Daigle first overall instead of Pronger who I was screaming to draft. :shakehead Pronger would have kept Yashin in line as well. :nod:

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Re: Vermette For Choco + 2nd.

What everyone fails to look at when this trade went down was trade deadline value.

Have any of you naysayers of the trade actually looked at who else was traded that day and for what?

Let me enlighten you!

Tampa Trades: LW JuSSI JOKINEN › To Carolina For: LW WADE BROOKBANK, D JOSEF MELICHAR, 2009 4th rd. Pick

Jussi Jokinen a 40-50 point guy for garbage.

Toronto Trades : C NIK ANTROPOV > To NY RANGERS FOR: 2nd Round Pick, Conditional Pick.

Nik Antropov had 46 points in 68 games at the time and had a 56 point season the year before. He finished the year with 67 points.

Buffalo Trades: LW ALES KOTALIK > To Edmonton for: 2nd ROUND PICK.

Kotalik was a prior 60 point guy and averaged 40-50 points.

Toronto Trades: C DOminic Moore > To Buffalo for : 2nd Round pick
moore had 41 points at the time.

and now for Vermette

Ottawa trades: C ANTOINE VERMETTE > to Columbus for: G Pascal Leclaire + 2nd Round pick.

Vermette had a 60 point season but was struggling mightily. averaged 40-50 points.

Leclaire was obviously a gamble but he was basically a good quality gamble on what could of been a very good nhl starter. and we got a 2nd.

At the time this trade went through I was a massive vermette fan. My favorite player. I was ecstatic at the return we were able to get back for him. In fact I lauded Murray as a genius. I couldn't believe Antropov went for a 2nd and Murray got a starting goalie AND a 2nd. Still to this day I think i make that trade no question without a doubt in my mind even with hindsight.

Really after looking at comparable players who went in that deadline day is it really such a bad a trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad