Which of these is the Senators franchise worst decision of all time?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
For the nine-millionth time: no. No, no, no, no. We would not have a team if we didn't build the stadium where we did.

I know this, YOU know this... but I've resigned myself to not getting into that discussion with the "Bo-hoo, the Arena is too far west!!!11" crowd, so as to save myself with the inevitable aneurism that would come with having to make this point in EVERY GODDAMNED THREAD, because people can't seem to grasp this very easy, basic point.

And, in case anyone has not yet read it, here is the article that best sums up the situation, posted for probably the ten thousandth time on these boards.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
I know this, YOU know this... but I've resigned myself to not getting into that discussion with the "Bo-hoo, the Arena is too far west!!!11" crowd, so as to save myself with the inevitable aneurism that would come with having to make this point in EVERY GODDAMNED THREAD, because people can't seem to grasp this very easy, basic point.

And, in case anyone has not yet read it, here is the article that best sums up the situation, posted for probably the ten thousandth time on these boards.

Sticky? ;-)

John Holmes*

Little known fact...the CTC is so far out of town, its' postal code is EIEIO.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Yes, I've read it before. I always read with interest the part about how lawyers living in the Glebe prevent development of the stadium site, which is also (by the way) why we can't bring a CFL team back. Oh, wait a second.

Firestone was a key figure in the development of the arena, and he has loads of behind the scene info. But he is still one guy with an opinion, and stuff that he gave up as impossible may not have been impossible in the end. We'll never know for sure.

If people want to disagree about whether we had to build an arena out in Kanata that is fine. However, I think that we can all agree that any person who believes this location helps fans and boosts attendance is on crack. This is why I list is as a bad decision, which is what this thread is about.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
The 7 million to play in Detroit wasn't so bad for Hossa, and the frontloaded deal from Chicago was probably among the very best offers he fielded in 2009, at least in dollar terms.

At least in dollar terms? Man, how Stanley Cups will he have to win before you think its a pretty good deal in all possibly terms? :laugh:

Topside

Jul 2, 2009
There are two decisions that I think would have led to Cups. Pronger over Daigle, and Chara over Redden. Pronger over Daigle, because then he wouldn't have been in Anaheim to elbow our best player Dean McCammond.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
In the end though, we could never afford to make all these good decisions with the cap so if the actual decisions weren't made we'd be bemoaning something else.

source

Jul 13, 2008
At least in dollar terms? Man, how Stanley Cups will he have to win before you think its a pretty good deal in all possibly terms? :laugh:

I'm just saying those great teams Hossa chose to play for (the 2008-09 Detroit Red Wings and the 2009-10 Chicago Blackhawks) offered him a good chunk of change to have that chance at the Cup.

Looking at his contracts, it's probable Hossa didn't take a discount at all. And that's fine.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
Fans were going nuts (in a good way) when we traded for Heatley, if I remember correctly.

I wanted Chara over Redden, so that is the worst move imo. Favouring Daigle over Yashin is up there too.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Check out the Wkipedia page for Daigle.

"As the draft approached, the Quebec Nordiques, who were hosting the event, were reportedly so eager to draft the next French-Canadian superstar that they were rumored to have offered star players such as Owen Nolan, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, and draft picks, but Ottawa management disregarded all offers."

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
With hindsight or without hindsight?

I was wondering the same.

I'd say Hossa for Heatley led to Redden over Chara- if you believe that Chara wanted out of Ottawa because of how we treated Hossa.

Always hated signing Hasek, too- although it's far from one of the worst moves. But people who liked it should probably credit Muckler for that...

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Trading Brooks Laich for 2 months of an over the hill Peter Bondra was a pretty brutal move in hindsight. Laich would've really helped in our 2005-2007 playoff runs.

Cornwall OHL

That's my O face.
Jun 18, 2010
South Glengarry

Little known fact...the CTC is so far out of town, its' postal code is EIEIO.

In January of 2021 the CTC will be 25 years old. I'm figuring about that time the Sens may start talking about a new rink. The next one can be somewhere downtown.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I;ve put some thought into it, and I have decided that the worst decision the Sens have ever made has nothing to do with the on ice product.

Why would they get rid of the beavertail stands? BRING BACK BEAVERTAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Out of those options Redden over Chara

But some of you posters who might not have been around back then need to realize that most people thought it was, at the time, the right move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad