Which longtime NHLers are likely to retire after this season?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not sure why so many people are saying thornton. he's looked fine out there this season for a guy his age and with his mileage. i can see him playing another season. same with marleau, he hasn't looked terrible in the leafs games i've watched

i'd say kunitz and cullen for sure. both have won multiple cups and have nothing left in the tank

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
not sure why so many people are saying thornton. he's looked fine out there this season for a guy his age and with his mileage. i can see him playing another season. same with marleau, he hasn't looked terrible in the leafs games i've watched

i'd say kunitz and cullen for sure. both have won multiple cups and have nothing left in the tank

Dad just had a multi-point night :cool:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
there are about 20 million reasons for him not to retire, though
There’s actual true retirement and LTIR and thus playing your final game his season.

Players who would likely qualify for Ltir are going to collect their money.

Hossa has played his final game, same with Zetterberg and Horton. But they’re still going to be in LTIR next season.

Reactions: viper0220

member 300185

Marleau is in his last kick of the can.
Luongo
Spezza
Thorton.
Others.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
16 G, 31 A is a fine season for a 3rd-line center, a role Thornton has embraced. He will almost certainly be back.

That might change in the highly unlikely event that the Sharks win the Cup.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
There’s actual true retirement and LTIR and thus playing your final game his season.

Players who would likely qualify for Ltir are going to collect their money.

Hossa has played his final game, same with Zetterberg and Horton. But they’re still going to be in LTIR next season.

We're all aware of hossa, zetterberg, horton, clarkson, datsyuk etc. Maybe he'll do that. I was referring to him retiring, which is unlikely.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We're all aware of hossa, zetterberg, horton, clarkson, datsyuk etc. Maybe he'll do that. I was referring to him retiring, which is unlikely.
Agreed. No reason whatsoever for a player to retire, not with the type of injury they have. ESPN did a piece on what it took for him just to play this season.

Now if you’re talking about a guy who has suffered a few concussions like Sven Baertschi then that’s a different situation as he’s still cleared to play but the risk may be too high to continue.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Lets hope so. The Sharks have done pretty much nothing to help him stay in the League. Cutting his icetime, and downgrading him to the 3rd line and limiting his powerplay presence won't get a guy like Thornton going. Another team that would use Thornton better and he's a 65-70 point guy this year for sure.
At this point in his career, Thornton is not going to play ahead of Hertl and Couture. He's embraced his role at 3C, and has excellent chemistry with Sorensen and Labanc. That line will be a tough matchup in the playoffs.

He was a fixture on PP2, and has been on PP1 during Pavelski's injury.

I think he's being utilized perfectly.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I would expect him to take 1 more swing at a Cup if it doesn't(most likely) come this year. I know i would desperately want one after 20+ years of service.

I guess. I mean it depends on the role and type of player you are going to be. As soon as next year Marleau may be a 4th liner.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Marleau and Thornton both have to be thinking about it. Kronwall has to be as well. Eaves needs to go and think about his health as another poster mentioned. I can't imagine Brooks Orpik going a lot longer either. Kunitz has BEEN done. He needed to bow out after the Pens won their 2nd Cup
I doubt jumbo does. If he was going to retire I would bet it would have been after he got robot legs. As is his points haven't fallen off really for the minutes he has now and he will just sign for whatever the sharks have left over after their free agent period.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
My question is when or will jagr ever retire or will we have to wait until he dies to put him in the hall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad