Which longtime NHLers are likely to retire after this season?

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I also think Marleau's end is overstated. I don't think he's played as poorly as people make out. There's only so much premium ice-time to go around and coupled with Nylander's late-season signing, injuries to stars like Matthews early on, he's done what's been asked.
Yep. And the likes of Matt Cullen are still playing, despite being three years older and getting half of Marleau's points. Two more seasons, then (barring injuries) he'd get the most games record. That has to be in his mind? Do another one with Toronto, and then sign a one year contract with some rebuild team, where he'll guide the young ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sk8M8

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Yep. And the likes of Matt Cullen are still playing, despite being three years older and getting half of Marleau's points. Two more seasons, then (barring injuries) he'd get the most games record. That has to be in his mind? Do another one with Toronto, and then sign an one year contract with some rebuild team, where he'll guide the young ones.

That'd be crazy if he got that record. I didn't realize he was so close. Of course he should go for it unless he utterly can't play at all next year. Otherwise do as you say and get that record.

What's odd to me is that admittedly I wasn't watch Patty closely all year but I did watch quite a number of leafs games through the year. But without major scrutiny on Marleau his play didn't jump out at me as awful at any point. I mean I've seen far worse players that play many years longer and practically every team in the league since forever. If it weren't for the so-called experts and HF posters I wouldn't have thought he had a terrible year. I guess I'm just reitterating my earlier post, but given the depth of the team I thought he was fine not expecting great stats with players like even Kadri getting reduced stats with his adjusted role in this lineup.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Not really a "Long time" NHLer but Steve Mason (or is retired already??)

TIL Steve Mason wasn't on the Winnipeg Jets as a backup. Apparently missed that he was traded to the Habs right before UFA day and immediately placed on waivers.

EliteProspects has him listed as retired, and there was a sportsnet article saying that he may retire because of concussions and knee problems, but there hasn't been an official release that I could find.
Goaltender Steve Mason may retire after 10 NHL seasons - Sportsnet.ca

Being that I missed his trade/waivers this past summer, I'm probably not the best person to ask about his current status but I'd say he's effectively retired. ;)

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
That'd be crazy if he got that record. I didn't realize he was so close. Of course he should go for it unless he utterly can't play at all next year. Otherwise do as you say and get that record.

What's odd to me is that admittedly I wasn't watch Patty closely all year but I did watch quite a number of leafs games through the year. But without major scrutiny on Marleau his play didn't jump out at me as awful at any point. I mean I've seen far worse players that play many years longer and practically every team in the league since forever. If it weren't for the so-called experts and HF posters I wouldn't have thought he had a terrible year. I guess I'm just reitterating my earlier post, but given the depth of the team I thought he was fine not expecting great stats with players like even Kadri getting reduced stats with his adjusted role in this lineup.
Yeah, and Marleau's blessing is that he's fast. Pretty much the only skill people look at these days. I can't say I've seen many Toronto games, but in the ones I have, he's been one of the faster guys on the ice.

Edit: 111 games from the record.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I see Giordanold really dropping off in play next year due to his age so I think he maybe goes one more season and then gets a mystery medical condition and goes on LTIR.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds like a perfect Arizona Coyote pickup to help reach the cap floor
You really need to use cap friendly. Coyotes are already projected to be at $74 million in cap hit next season. They have about $15 million due to increases to OEL, Schmaltz, Dvorak, chrychurn.

If the ceiling is going to be around $83 million the floor would be around $63 million. So they are already $10 million above that mark.

They are more likely to move the Hossa contract than pick up another one.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I see Giordanold really dropping off in play next year due to his age so I think he maybe goes one more season and then gets a mystery medical condition and goes on LTIR.

Isn’t the oilers defense 6 Giordano’s? How will you guys survive losing them all? Oh my...

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Lets hope so. The Sharks have done pretty much nothing to help him stay in the League. Cutting his icetime, and downgrading him to the 3rd line and limiting his powerplay presence won't get a guy like Thornton going. Another team that would use Thornton better and he's a 65-70 point guy this year for sure.

What if he's not conditioned for more icetime than that? If you give a player too much icetime night in night out he's just going to wear out overtime and not keep producing (kind of like how Kotkaniemi got worn out later on in the season because he wasn't yet conditioned for 82 games)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad