Which longtime NHLers are likely to retire after this season?

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Thornton will definitely play at least one more year.
Lets hope so. The Sharks have done pretty much nothing to help him stay in the League. Cutting his icetime, and downgrading him to the 3rd line and limiting his powerplay presence won't get a guy like Thornton going. Another team that would use Thornton better and he's a 65-70 point guy this year for sure.

Reactions: nofehr

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Marleau. Lowest goal scoring season in maybe ever. Lowest point totals since the 48 game lockout.
I would expect him to take 1 more swing at a Cup if it doesn't(most likely) come this year. I know i would desperately want one after 20+ years of service.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Lets hope so. The Sharks have done pretty much nothing to help him stay in the League. Cutting his icetime, and downgrading him to the 3rd line and limiting his powerplay presence won't get a guy like Thornton going. Another team that would use Thornton better and he's a 65-70 point guy this year for sure.

in 2019 he's playing at a ~64pt pace. I think the Sharks are doing just fine with his deployment

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I also think Marleau's end is overstated. I don't think he's played as poorly as people make out. There's only so much premium ice-time to go around and coupled with Nylander's late-season signing, injuries to stars like Matthews early on, he's done what's been asked.

Reactions: Le CH and Fixxer

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Given his contract structure and performance this year I think Maleau is a good candidate for retirement on July 2nd.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I also think Marleau's end is overstated. I don't think he's played as poorly as people make out. There's only so much premium ice-time to go around and coupled with Nylander's late-season signing, injuries to stars like Matthews early on, he's done what's been asked.

Marleau has been pretty bad but he hasn't missed a game in forever and Babcock loves him so I wouldn't be shocked to see him play next season. It's not like his retirement would help the Leafs cap anyways.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I would disagree. Marleau has been weak defensively, non-existent in the transition game, and his offense has been carried by better players. He tends to make any line he plays on perform worse than without him. His underlying numbers and micro stats are abysmal.

By merit, he'd probably be our 13th forward. I'm not one of those that talk about how players should retire as soon as they are not as good anymore. Marleau should retire when he feels like it, no sooner. The league is richer for having him. I'd love to watch him climb that all-time games played list. I just wish it wasn't on my team, not when he takes ice time from better players and carry a huge cap hit just when we need the space.

Last edited:

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Hopefully Thornton stays healthy and I could see him playing til 42-45. He’s still quite good considering his age, two knee surgeries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad