Line Combos: Which line is the first line?

Which line is the first line?

• Total voters

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That's almost always the Kane, so is your vote x-Schmaltz-Kane?
But kane isnt a line. Toews isnt a line. Is kanes line more a #1 line because he plays a couple full shifts with bottom 6 guys?

Sports terms debated are some of the silliest things because they have dozens of meanings.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Malkins line in Pittsburgh tends to produce more then Crosbys, yet Crosby line is #1.

Guentzel (48) - Crosby (89) - Hornqvist (49)
Hagelin (31) - Malkin (98) - Kessel (92)

Point is.. whoever is your 1C likely is the '1st line' since he'll be taking the tougher assignments, matching up against the other top line.

I guarantee when Q is writing out line combos on his mini white board, the Toews line is first.

That doesn't mean it's the better line.

The same thing will happen in Toronto, Tavares-Marner will be the most productive line, but Matthews line will be called the '1st' line.
You think Cat - Toews - Kahun will be our shut down line against the best line? That's scary.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
But kane isnt a line. Toews isnt a line. Is kanes line more a #1 line because he plays a couple full shifts with bottom 6 guys?

Sports terms debated are some of the silliest things because they have dozens of meanings.

Yep, good point. But last year Schmaltz’ 5v5 ice time was just 30 seconds short of Toews’. Saad played three fewer 5v5 minutes than Kane did.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You think Cat - Toews - Kahun will be our shut down line against the best line? That's scary.

That’s one of my biggest concerns, can the Toews line even be used as a shutdown line at this point with the way it’s constructed?

It’s now built to be a scoring line, and I think the scoring line with Kane is more dangerous.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That’s one of my biggest concerns, can the Toews line even be used as a shutdown line at this point with the way it’s constructed?

It’s now built to be a scoring line, and I think the scoring line with Kane is more dangerous.
Allegedly, Kahun is a two way forward. Good hands / fast / willing to mix it up. He better be because Cat, while willing to back check, is an offensive forward. Toews needs a forward to help defensively.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Allegedly, Kahun is a two way forward. Good hands / fast / willing to mix it up. He better be because Cat, while willing to back check, is an offensive forward. Toews needs a forward to help defensively.

Love how Toews is expected to lead a shutdown line that also scores at a first line rate, but he gets a small 21 year old sniper and a guy who has never played on American ice as linemates.

Seems pretty clear Q has pumped the best forward resources into the Kane line.

The Toews line looks more like a secondary scoring line to me than the elite Toews lines of the past.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I guess I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate. In my mind, I kind of know Toews is our best center ... but I can easily see Schmaltz take over that spot this year.

I will say this ... the few times I've watched Toews this pre season, he looked better. However, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm just not willing to bank on Toews. I've been fooled the last 3 seasons.
I can't see Schmaltz "easily" over taking him this year. Maybe offensively, as he plays with Kane which will really help that aspect of his game.

I am more willing to bank on his this year, but he still needs a better winger than Kahun playing with him, IMO. Debrincat is definitely a great option, but not sure he really fits Toews style of play.

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
Toews line for foreseeable future. May not be most productive line but Toew’s shut down abilities are still elite don’t care what the HFexperts have to say. Top line doesn’t always mean top scoring line...especially here in Chicago recently. Pair that with the top scorer in Cat and it should be a decent top line. Kane’s line is more like 1B.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Toews line for foreseeable future. May not be most productive line but Toew’s shut down abilities are still elite don’t care what the HFexperts have to say. Top line doesn’t always mean top scoring line...especially here in Chicago recently. Pair that with the top scorer in Cat and it should be a decent top line. Kane’s line is more like 1B.

Toews’ shutdown ability may be elite, but what about his linemates’ shutdown ability?

If that line isn’t shutting down then the team is in trouble.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I can't see Schmaltz "easily" over taking him this year. Maybe offensively, as he plays with Kane which will really help that aspect of his game.

I am more willing to bank on his this year, but he still needs a better winger than Kahun playing with him, IMO. Debrincat is definitely a great option, but not sure he really fits Toews style of play.

Right on with Kahun. DeBrincat is a fine option if a Hossa-caliber defensive winger is on the other side, but that’s not what’s there.

I predict this current form of the Toews line will be worse at shutting down than Toews and Saad were.

Q has turned it into a second scoring line, not a shutdown line. Unless you believe Toews can singlehandedly shutdown other teams’ top offensive lines.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Right on with Kahun. DeBrincat is a fine option if a Hossa-caliber defensive winger is on the other side, but that’s not what’s there.

I predict this current form of the Toews line will be worse at shutting down than Toews and Saad were.

Q has turned it into a second scoring line, not a shutdown line. Unless you believe Toews can singlehandedly shutdown other teams’ top offensive lines.
Do you try Hayden with Toews and DeBrincat if Kahun doesn't work? Hayden will work on both ends of the ice.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Do you try Hayden with Toews and DeBrincat if Kahun doesn't work? Hayden will work on both ends of the ice.

It should be Saad. They dominated possession last year when they played together, but Saad couldn’t finish. That pairing wasn’t broken, and adding DeBrincat to it could’ve made it a very effective first line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad