Line Combos: Which line is the first line?

Which line is the first line?

• Total voters

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Fun poll before the season gets started. Are you going to consider the Toews or Kane line the first line?

I'll say let's base this off the elements we anticipate to stick, Toews-DeBrincat and Schmaltz-Kane. The third winger on both those lines could be a revolving door all season, so for the sake of simplicity I think it's best not to add in that variable.

Through the preseason, those two groupings were given roughly even ice time, when they played.

About a week ago, Pat Boyle brought this up and said the following on his podcast:

"Because Johnny has been here forever, and he has been seemingly the number one line, it kind of just has stayed with him.”

“There’s no question since the Panarin couple years that the Kane line has been the number one line seeing more minutes.”

“People go ‘you can’t name a line after the winger’, I’m like ‘uh you can if it’s Patrick Kane.’”

“In reality that second line is the Toews line.”

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Not that it matters what the classification by fans is but ....
Toews line has always played against the ops best line hence the line is relied upon to play defensively as well as offensively. Until that changes the Toews line will be number one.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Does it matter?

On paper it's always the Toews line. Kane is the best player on the team so more often than not, the line he commands is the strongest.

I don't see a reason to get hung up over which one is the real first line. They get about equal ice time.

Reactions: BobbyJet

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Does it matter?

On paper it's always the Toews line. Kane is the best player on the team so more often than not, the line he commands is the strongest.

I don't see a reason to get hung up over which one is the real first line. They get about equal ice time.

That’s why I said it’s a fun poll, nothing that has any consequence.

It’s always a battle over semantics. Personally, I don’t like when people say the team’s best player is on “the second line”, so I’ve always thought of it as two first lines or “Toews line” and “Kane line”

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The line who can score. Heck, I'll proclaim Kruger as 1C if he starts scoring hat tricks.

In terms of money, it's the Saad, Schmaltz, Kane line.

However, everyone will just assume Toews is 1C.

I guess the rumors are true. Anisimov is a 3C.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The line who can score. Heck, I'll proclaim Kruger as 1C if he starts scoring hat tricks.

In terms of money, it's the Saad, Schmaltz, Kane line.

However, everyone will just assume Toews is 1C.

I guess the rumors are true. Anisimov is a 3C.
The line that has your best C is the Line I always consider to be your #1 line. So Toews.

These two comments back-to-back make me feel like I made a pretty good poll.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
No one has to say it, it's pretty obvious.
To be perfectly honest, I think Schmaltz can be better than Toews this year. I realize Toews is still a great defender, but Toews made Panarin and Saad look less than average at times the last 2 years. Now it's DeBrincat's shot. 1Cs are supposed to make his linemates better ... not the other way around.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
To be perfectly honest, I think Schmaltz can be better than Toews this year. I realize Toews is still a great defender, but Toews made Panarin and Saad look less than average at times the last 2 years. Now it's DeBrincat's shot. 1Cs are supposed to make his linemates better ... not the other way around.
Toews is better offensively, and defensively, it's really not even a debate for me, personally.

Reactions: Robsker

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Toews is better offensively, and defensively, it's really not even a debate for me, personally.
I've been a staunch supporter for Toews for a long time. Toews is still great defensively. At some point, you have to start questioning his offense. In my book, without offense it's tough label any center #1.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Was no “doesn’t matter” option. It’s one of those things that fans get fixated on that really doesn’t matter in the context of the game. Kane and Toews lines have different roles. Toews is your matchup line, Kane is your scoring line. If you need to number them, feel free.

You just have to start with one of your lines as your top line on your matchup card and it’s pretty much always your 1c.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Was no “doesn’t matter” option. It’s one of those things that fans get fixated on that really doesn’t matter in the context of the game. Kane and Toews lines have different roles. Toews is your matchup line, Kane is your scoring line. If you need to number them, feel free.

You just have to start with one of your lines as your top line on your matchup card and it’s pretty much always your 1c.

Like I said, intended to be a fun poll before the season starts. It has little to no consequence as the team's best player gets the most minutes anyway.

Just curious on where everyone stands on the semantic debate.

Some people think first line is the one that scores the most and plays the most 5v5 minutes, others think it's the line that gets matched up defensively against top competition.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I've been a staunch supporter for Toews for a long time. Toews is still great defensively. At some point, you have to start questioning his offense. In my book, without offense it's tough label any center #1.
I never said Toews is a #1C, but he is our #1C.

Could he be better offensively? Yes. But he is still better than Schmaltz until proven otherwise.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I never said Toews is a #1C, but he is our #1C.

Could he be better offensively? Yes. But he is still better than Schmaltz until proven otherwise.
I guess I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate. In my mind, I kind of know Toews is our best center ... but I can easily see Schmaltz take over that spot this year.

I will say this ... the few times I've watched Toews this pre season, he looked better. However, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm just not willing to bank on Toews. I've been fooled the last 3 seasons.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Malkins line in Pittsburgh tends to produce more then Crosbys, yet Crosby line is #1.

Guentzel (48) - Crosby (89) - Hornqvist (49)
Hagelin (31) - Malkin (98) - Kessel (92)

Point is.. whoever is your 1C likely is the '1st line' since he'll be taking the tougher assignments, matching up against the other top line.

I guarantee when Q is writing out line combos on his mini white board, the Toews line is first.

That doesn't mean it's the better line.

The same thing will happen in Toronto, Tavares-Marner will be the most productive line, but Matthews line will be called the '1st' line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad