Line Combos: Which line is the first line?

Which line is the first line?

• Total voters

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It would be foolish to separate Schmaltz&DeBrincat duo
when ever they played together last season, there were times when they were unstoppable.

If one duo should play first line, it should be Schmaltz&DeBrincat.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It would be foolish to separate Schmaltz&DeBrincat duo
when ever they played together last season, there were times when they were unstoppable.

If one duo should play first line, it should be Schmaltz&DeBrincat.

I don’t remember Schmaltz and DeBrincat with Hinostroza dominating last year. If I remember correctly, isn’t that when DeBrincat hit his longest scoring slump?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Fun poll before the season gets started.

That’s why I said it’s a fun poll, nothing that has any consequence

Like I said, intended to be a fun poll before the season starts. It has little to no consequence as the team's best player gets the most minutes anyway.

Just curious on where everyone stands on the semantic debate.

You're not "just curious". You've been pushing this "Toews is not a 1C/Toews line isn't the first line" bit all summer.

Discussions on semantics aren't fun, they're tedious. The Hawks have not had traditional line deployment in the Q era, it's one of the things that separated us from other teams and led to Cup success. It's always been...

Toews Line: Possession dominance, shutdown+scoring line. Matches up against other team's best players

Kane Line: Elite scoring line

Depth Scoring Line

Shutdown Line

No need to make it anymore complicated than that. Toews is a 1C, Kane is a 1RW. They have their own lines and deployments specific to their talents. The labels are semantical and pointless

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You're not "just curious". You've been pushing this "Toews is not a 1C/Toews line isn't the first line" bit all summer.

Discussions on semantics aren't fun, they're tedious. The Hawks have not had traditional line deployment in the Q era, it's one of the things that separated us from other teams and led to Cup success. It's always been...

Toews Line: Possession dominance, shutdown+scoring line. Matches up against other team's best players

Depth Scoring Line

Shutdown Line

No need to make it anymore complicated than that. Toews is a 1C, Kane is a 1RW. They have their own lines and deployments specific to their talents. The labels are semantical and pointless

I have not been pushing the “Toews is not a 1C”, I have been pushing that it’s dumb to call Kane’s line a second line. It’s just a pet peeve of mine to hear that our best player is on the “second line”.

I totally agree with you on how you view the lines.

Also, I did genuinely think it would be interesting to see how people view this. Didn’t have an agenda when I created the thread. The conversation that followed is where I expressed my opinion.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Depth Scoring Line

Shutdown Line

What I realized about the Hawks from this exercise ...

* We are really lacking good forwards. Do we have some in the pipeline? I'm talking top 6 kind of talent.

* We're putting Saad with Kane and Schmaltz to feed him in front of the net ... while providing defensive support for the offensive minded Kane and Schmaltz. I get the thinking.

* That leaves DeBrincat with Toews. Not exactly a shut down line without another proven top 6 forward. Is that it ... Kahun and Hayden?

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
What I realized about the Hawks from this exercise ...

* We are really lacking good forwards. Do we have some in the pipeline? I'm talking top 6 kind of talent.

* We're putting Saad with Kane and Schmaltz to feed him in front of the net ... while providing defensive support for the offensive minded Kane and Schmaltz. I get the thinking.

* That leaves DeBrincat with Toews. Not exactly a shut down line without another proven top 6 forward. Is that it ... Kahun and Hayden?

I am not sure how many forwards the Hawks have in the pipeline that might be top-6 caliber in the future. My knee-jerk response is only one - Jake Wise. Maybe there are others? But it is rather bleak.

That said, with Boqvist, Beauden, Jokiharu, Mitchell and even maybe Forsling --- we have 5 guys prepping with potential top 2 pairings on D. I surmise that the copious amount of Cap that will be available next year that the forward issue will be addressed there. So I am quite hopeful. We should have a top 10 draft pick this next year - maybe top 5 or 6 --- so that might help as well.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I am not sure how many forwards the Hawks have in the pipeline that might be top-6 caliber in the future. My knee-jerk response is only one - Jake Wise. Maybe there are others? But it is rather bleak.

That said, with Boqvist, Beauden, Jokiharu, Mitchell and even maybe Forsling --- we have 5 guys prepping with potential top 2 pairings on D. I surmise that the copious amount of Cap that will be available next year that the forward issue will be addressed there. So I am quite hopeful. We should have a top 10 draft pick this next year - maybe top 5 or 6 --- so that might help as well.

Not really. NN is another solid offensive prospect. The focus the past 2-3 years drafting has clearly been Defense which takes longer to develop. Next years draft is forward heavy and they Hawks should be able to a few top 6 forward prospects and 1 that is a top line caliber player.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Maybe we should really check to see if Panarin is interested in coming back to Chicago next year. Not a trade ... but as a UFA.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I reckon the Q blender will be out by this weekend with the likelihood we see Saad and Toews reunited .... just can't see the current 1st line working out defensively against top lines in this league.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I reckon the Q blender will be out by this weekend with the likelihood we see Saad and Toews reunited .... just can't see the current 1st line working out defensively against top lines in this league.
The problem with Toews and Saad together is that they both CAN'T shoot ... at least not now. So they can't both be in front of the net where they are most effective.

As Toews got older, he is best in front or back of the net. He can't do that with Saad on the ice. It's a quandry.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The problem with Toews and Saad together is that they both CAN'T shoot ... at least not now. So they can't both be in front of the net where they are most effective.

As Toews got older, he is best in front or back of the net. He can't do that with Saad on the ice. It's a quandry.

That’s where DeBrincat comes in though. DeBrincat-Toews-Saad makes a lot of sense all around.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I sure hope so. Unless Q is changing the role of the Toews line, I just don’t see how the current form of it works out.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That’s where DeBrincat comes in though. DeBrincat-Toews-Saad makes a lot of sense all around.
Here's the issue. With Keith, Toews, and Saad on the ice together, fans heads better be on a swivel. That leaves DeBrincat and Seabrook to get the puck on net. It really is a dilemma.

I guess the idea is that DeBrincat plays the Hossa role for Toews and Saad? I don't think Cat can hold the puck as long as Hossa (who can?). Either Toews or Saad has to be able to snipe from the slot while the other is in front of the net. I'm not optimistic.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Here's the issue. With Keith, Toews, and Saad on the ice together, fans heads better be on a swivel. That leaves DeBrincat and Seabrook to get the puck on net. It really is a dilemma.

I guess the idea is that DeBrincat plays the Hossa role for Toews and Saad? I don't think Cat can hold the puck as long as Hossa (who can?). Either Toews or Saad has to be able to snipe from the slot while the other is in front of the net. I'm not optimistic.

I don't think you ask DeBrincat to play the Hossa role, I think Saad needs to do that. DeBrincat would play the Sharp role and snipe.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If I say the first line is really struggling/dominating tonight everyone in here will know which I’m referring to.

That’s the answer in a nutshell.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't think you ask DeBrincat to play the Hossa role, I think Saad needs to do that. DeBrincat would play the Sharp role and snipe.
I see Saad as strictly a power forward. I don't think he knows how to use his speed to be a playmaker or shooter. His speed and strength comes in handy on defense.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I see Saad as strictly a power forward. I don't think he knows how to use his speed to be a playmaker or shooter. His speed and strength comes in handy on defense.

He does shoot a lot though. He had the second most shots on goal of anyone on the team last season, and was 30th among all forwards in the league.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He does shoot a lot though. He had the second most shots on goal of anyone on the team last season, and was 30th among all forwards in the league.
I once thought Hossa's shot was washed ... but then he scored 30 goals. Perhaps Toews and Saad will prove me wrong again. I'll gladly eat crow. However, I'm not holding my breath.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->