Series Talk: Which Leaf has the most to prove in the postseason?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Morgan Rielly. Big fan of his, but he has been very disappointing these last two seasons. This is his chance to show us whether or not he can be our #1 Dman going forward, especially with his contract up for renewal next off season.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Campbell can make our goaltending question an easy one to answer here. If he can do in the post season what he's done in the regular season, we have a new starter. Freds contract question goes out the window.

Lots of other players need to step up. We haven't seen the best of Rielly this year. Mikheyev can get off the schnide and produce when it really counts. Simmonds has a lot more to offer I feel. Just need the big money players to keep stepping up in the playoffs.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Nylander Tavares and Foligno inthat order

They will be out against the second pairing dmen shill Matthews and marner are in the first pairing.

Nylander has to show some balls and stop avoiding body contact
I hope he can. Our second line will determine our success.

Reactions: DirkStraun

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
That's weird, because the NHL called those games "play ins" not "playoffs".

No, no playoffs.

Technically yes of course. Relatively speaking it was the Leafs challenge that they failed in once again.

I remember most the unhappiness Muzzin had after. Loved that guy the moment he expressed it, he had no interest in excuses.

If a team doesn't have it in them to sacrifice they will never win a ring. I expect this year to be different.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd say Andersen but I'm not sure he even plays. After him, Nylander. Willy doesn't like getting hit and it's much more glaring come playoff time. I'm not expecting him to throw his weight around, but I'd like to see him more willing to take a hit to make a play vs trying to finesse everything.

Reactions: The Cobra

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
as much as I love him, Campbell. He is untested in the postseason.

Pros: he reminds me of Potvin and Cujo stylistically and both were very good playoff goalies.

After the series vs MTL, I believe he will have answered this question. He is the backbone of the team. YOU CAN DO IT JACK! STEAL US THE FIRST ROUND!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I am going to say Morgan Rielly has the most to prove come playoff time. If he can be outstanding, it has a double positive effect. Obviously helps the team now and gives them a better chance at success, and secondly, helps him in his bid for a new contract (with the Leafs or not). I want to see him to be harder on the puck, make quicker and more decisive decisions with and without the puck.

We already know how good the rest of the top guys are... how effective can Rielly be? Can he step it up a notch?

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Gonna throw Marner out there. He had the one great game vs Boston two years ago and nothing else has been quite what you would expect from a top 10 salary in the league.

Also JT, Rielly, Nylander. Basically the entire core aside from Matthews.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Marner for sure.

He's appeared in 25 playoff games...
+3 once.
+2 twice.
+1 four times.
0 eight times.
-1 six times
-2 twice
-3 once.

Honestly, Marner is a double-bladed sword when it comes to the playoffs. You want to play safe playoff hockey against the Leafs?
Just keep getting in on Marner, and sooner or later he'll cause a turnover that will lead directly into Leaf fans blaming a defenseman
and goalie for not stopping a 2-on-1.

Multi-millionaire Marner is a -2 in the playoffs for the Leafs. At 5-on-5 he's produced 1.25 points/60 in the playoffs. Compare that
to Connor Brown who played a safer game, produced 1.15 points/60 in the playoffs and was a plus 2. In 20 playoff games, Brown was
only a minus player twice btw.

The only goal in the playoffs is to win. Marner just doesn't know when and when not to hotdog out there. If I were coaching against
the Leafs in the playoffs and the game was out of reach, I'm making sure my players aren't checking Marner too tight. I'd want to see
him score some useless points to encourage his play-style... because it might help in the next game.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Marner - but it’s not about points. It’s about playing smart.

Rielly too. Been hoora bad this year.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I expect Tavares to be best in his line. Matthews in his. Marner to have most points, a lot more goals. Nylander to be in forth place in points but mostly be better at d.

Need more from Tavares overall.

Mar 14, 2011
Marner and JT, the lackluster offence has been the biggest factor for the Leafs defeat during their last 2 playoffs with JT and Marner being the 2 biggest underachievers offensively for those 2 series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad