Series Talk: Which Leaf has the most to prove in the postseason?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Keefe.

He had a rough go in the play ins, hopefully he learned from it and will have a strong go in his first playoff.
That’s fair comment, there’s no question he was out coached that series. Just like the players and GM, everyone is coming into their own at the right time.

Reactions: ACC1224

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
It is funny Marner has been very good overall in his playoff career, but game 1 and game 2 vs Columbus were such a disaster its hard to look past them and see the rest of the good.

Honestly all of our core guys have something to prove, I thought Matthews was great against Columbus, lots of pressure, lots of zone time and chances, but at the end of the day we're paying him 11 million dollars to put the puck in the net and 2 of the 3 losses were tight games where we got shut out. We put our three superstar 11million forwards on a line in the series deciding game and they got shut out.

I believe in these guys but when they demanded to be payed like the absolute elite of the league they also get the expectations that puts on them.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I think it would be Tavares and Nylander

I agree with JT because he signed here for a huge contract and now has to live up to it. His $11M is what caused M&M to want as much as they are getting.

I also think that Thornton & Spezza have a lot to prove and they want it more badly than anybody because most likely for them, it's now or never. These 2 legends came to their childhood dream team for minimum pay in hopes to win the Cup. They've both been to the finals before so I'm sure they know what's needed to get there again.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's the core JT, Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly. (Campbell)

JT as his is the Captain, and needs to be front and center. The defacto leader, Matthews needs to find another level, and really lead this team. Rielly needs to be both good offensively, and defensively... his future is probably on the line here. Marner and Nylander too, but as wingers, I don't feel that the responsibility is on them as much.

If Campbell can lead this team to success, his future is also guaranteed.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Thornton is an outside one imo. He needs to prove he is able to win. He has never done it, and time is running out.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Of the core players, Matthews and Muzzin were the only ones last playoffs who I think had a "very good" series.

Marner and Nylander in particular are the two I'd like to see the most improvement from. While fine against Columbus, both players are capable of dominating the ice when out there and will need to do so more consistently.

Edit: you could also add Hyman to that, though I believe he was coming off an injury which may explained why he wasn't as good as expected either

Reactions: saffronleaf

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I don't like to cop out, but the entire organization is my answer. From the GM, to each player who couldn't win a series in the blue and white, to the coach. You win and lose as a team and when Gamers were needed, this Leafs team has proven they couldn't get it done.

There is a tangible confidence in this team that was lacking. Much of it imported into the lineup and it has spread. If this team is fully healthy, they are a top three threat on paper to win it all.

To not succeed, is an indictment on the entire franchise.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
From these posts it looks like a combo of:
1. The core
2. Dubas
3. Keefe

And what level of proof for each is required?

Just winning 1 playoff round? Leafs are 7th overall in the league playing the 18th overall in the league. How often does that happen? The rebuilding Rangers are higher than the Habs and the Stars (last year in the finals) didn’t even make the playoffs with more points.

If we can’t win a round, boom goes the dynamite.

That’s not going to cut it. A final 4 appearance is pretty much necessary to tweak the team if necessary. Depending on core performance.

Anything less and a harder look at the above 3 needs to happen.

Reactions: LeafsRus and meefer

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
They'll go as far as their best players take them. With the likes of: Kerfoot, Mikheyev, Nash, Engvall, Hyman, Foligno, the Leafs can create a shutdown line that at least minimizes the damage the other team's best can do. The remaining group of Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, plus those from above, should prove able filling in 8-10 minutes a night. It's up to JT, AM, MM, WN, MR, JM and TJB to lead the team.

Reactions: LeafsRus

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm not sure why some think Keefe was "out-coached" or needs to be better. I don't think he had the horses last year as our 3rd and 4th lines were sub-par

The offensive output was a disaster, and his answer was to neuter a strong 2nd line so CBJ only had one line to worry about.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Hands down Foligno and Simmonds

We brought in Foligno just for playoffs. Nothing else
Everyone defended Simmonds throughout the year, I was never a fan of his game. There were few games here and there he looked ok, he looked better but really doesn't it bring it night in night out

I would like to see what he has to offer in playoffs.

I tend to agree with this but how would gauge that those guys are doing well. Is it Points, Hits, +/- ?. Otherwise it is so subjective

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Marner and our goaltending feels like the easy answer.

Felt like Matthews and Tavares both had good playoffs last year, so it's a little less important, though Matthews could really cement himself as a top 5 player with a huge playoffs

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
John Tavares has to prove the most. He hasn't done much in the post season as a veteran and captain. He has to set the example for everyone.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I want to see Matthews and Marner get to the next level and take over a series.

They've each had decent series one year or another but we've never seen them truly step up and dominate a series. It's about that time they do it already.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
honestly, all of them.

this team needs to be able to make it to at least the conference finals at least.
The power play needs to score (something that's hurt them in every playoff series)
The penalty kill needs to defend (something that's hurt them in every playoff series)
They need not to be stupid and take dumb penalties at dumb times
Andersen needs to make the clutch save at clutch times. (i will always say some of the goals he let in that broke the back of the team should never have gone in, but then the puck should never have gotten to him in those circumstances either).

i think during the regular season the team showed they were adaptable for any type of game that you wanted to play but they need to force teams to play their way, and then lock it down.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The most important guy on the entire team when it comes to playoff hockey has to be the most important guy on the ice. Whomever gets the start between the pipes, must give the team every opportunity to win, which means; no first shot goals, zero softies, be the teams best PKer. The team has to have complete confidence in the netminder in order to play their game and to dominate the opposition.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad