Series Talk: Which Leaf has the most to prove in the postseason?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And, an indirect answer would be Keefe and the entire management team (Dubas, Shanny, etc.). Given the divisional format (a Canadian team will advance beyond the 2nd round), and the length of time since the draft that landed the #1 overall pick, there are no excuses now - zero.

Expectations are high and Leafs invested a lot of draft capital to build up the team, as well as ownership is paying top $$ to some of their players that its high time management delivers.

The pressure for success and results lie squarely on the shoulders of Leafs management.

Final 4 or Bust this year, taking advantage of the once in a generation all Canadian format to represent the best of Canada in the final 4.

Anything less will be seen as failure to deliver and management will need to answer for that. MLSE isn't paying Babcock 4 years @ $6 mil to sit on his couch nor switch GM's after Leafs most successful regular season of all time just to bow out early in the playoffs. The management changes were done with the intention that losing in the 1st round was not acceptable and thus results are now required.

Last edited:

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
All of the them, but of course it starts with the core 4. They fail again and 1 of them will likely be gone in the offseason. BUT I simply don’t believe they will fail this time. They are making it to the semis is my belief, and then lose to the Avs or Vegas

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Tavares. He's the captain, the $11,000,000 man, and he's never had anything resembling success in the playoffs. He came here to help this team get over the hump, so let's see if he can. He had a down year (although a mini hot streak at the end makes it look more respectable), so he'll need to step up his game.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Is the answer Jesus because we need goalie who can save better than .900 right now. Defense need to cover their men and forwards need to backcheck better. I'm not looking forward to this based on our track record in the last playoffs.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think for me most to prove in order:

1. Tavares - Without a doubt the most to prove right now.
2. Marner - Close because he got paid the big bucks but still not in his prime years.
3. Nylander - Ditto but cheaper. Both need to step up no excuses. Both Marner and Nylander have underwhelmed comparing to how they are playing this season (which is fantastic). They have taken real steps in their development which is huge.
4. Andersen - Has actually played well for the most part in the playoffs considering a mediocre Leafs defence, but still a lot to prove about winning and getting to the next level.

Anyone making under 5 million isn't making this list, or then they all would have something to prove. Matthews doesn't need to prove anything to me this man is dialled in and I thought he was one of the bright spots against CBJ last year he has looked good but no supporting cast from the other superstars lets hope that changes this time around.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
What have you done for me lately: Reilly; he's been bloody diabolical lately.

Past performance: Tavares; he needs to show some leadership by example and produce results in the playoffs.

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
coaching staff ... aka powerplay

just for interest's sake ... 5 on 5 we can produce usually

playoff 5 on 5 stats

upload_2021-5-15_13-45-2.png

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Think the core does... but specifically Marner and Matthews. They demanded top dollar at an earlier time then typically happens. Players paid their money/term can carry teams on their backs alone. See McDavid, see Bergeron and Marchand, Crosby and Malkin, Toews and Kane.

Marner and Matthews are paid top dollar.... time to show the hockey world why they deserved it. Age is not an excuse, they didnt allow it to be an excuse for not paying them top dollar after all.

Reactions: ULF_55

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
I have no doubt this team will score often in these playoffs. Therefore I have to say their commitment to team defense, no if ands or buts. It has always been the one thing that has let us down in the past.

Penguins over Canes in the SCF

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Every Leaf has a lot more to show in teh playoff. They got shutout twice and gave up more goals to lose the series against CBJ.

hell even keefe has gotta show that he can plan and execute in the playoffs

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Matthews.

Not because he's been subpar in his postseason career but because he has the potential to be the greatest player in team history and it's time to start building the playoff portion of his resume.

Reactions: ULF_55

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jack Campbell could be quite the Legend in this city with a deep playoff run, and can establish himself as a NHL starter (perhaps cement himself as one is a better term).

But overall, this core has yet to make it out of round 1. They all have the same amount to prove.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think for me most to prove in order:

1. Tavares - Without a doubt the most to prove right now.
2. Marner - Close because he got paid the big bucks but still not in his prime years.
3. Nylander - Ditto but cheaper. Both need to step up no excuses. Both Marner and Nylander have underwhelmed comparing to how they are playing this season (which is fantastic). They have taken real steps in their development which is huge.
4. Andersen - Has actually played well for the most part in the playoffs considering a mediocre Leafs defence, but still a lot to prove about winning and getting to the next level.

Anyone making under 5 million isn't making this list, or then they all would have something to prove. Matthews doesn't need to prove anything to me this man is dialled in and I thought he was one of the bright spots against CBJ last year he has looked good but no supporting cast from the other superstars lets hope that changes this time around.

Just curious, what are the prime years? When would you say Marner's prime begins and ends?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Three way tie with JT, AM and MM. If you want to earn more than every star who already has a Cup win then lets start with all three being better than a ppg in the playoffs at the same time. Its a small ask, look at Draisaitl and McDavid last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->