Series Talk: Which Leaf has the most to prove in the postseason?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Got this idea from mapleleafshotstove.com

They suggested:
Matthews
Rielly
Nylander

I also think Marner needs to show more. But if they falter again, it's going to be Nylander who is moved, and possibly Rielly I would think

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner and Nylander have to prove they can be impact players in the playoffs. Matthews did vs CBJ last year. JT needs to show how much he wants to win. Afterall it was one of the two reasons he signed with the Leafs.

Honourable mentions go to Rielly, Campbell and Andersen if he is called on.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
All of them, they should be hungry to win. Montreal is not as bad as their record looks and can upset us, but there is no denying this is the best team we had with the best chance to win due to format in my life.

Either way if the team disappoints again, Nylander is most likely the odd man out IF one of the big 4 forwards get moved.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner 21 points in 25 playoff games, Matthews 19 in 25 playoff games, Nylander 15 in 25 playoff games.

Just for context.

Out of curiosity how many of those 25 games were each held off the scoresheet? Of the 3, I think the order is Willie, Mitch, and Matty. Willie has left me the most wanting (sorry Nylanderthals).

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner 21 points in 25 playoff games, Matthews 19 in 25 playoff games, Nylander 15 in 25 playoff games.

Just for context.

Matthews' has 7 goals an 12 points in his last two series (12 games) .. He's been good.

Marner has has 2 goals and 8 points in his last two series, which is underwhelming considering what he's being paid to do.

Nylander's production is similar to Marner, and he also needs to show that he can engage more in playoff hockey .. He's probably next to Marner in terms of most to improve.

For me, Marner got the biggest bucks on his contract which means bigger expectations. If he wants elite salary, he needs to produce more in the playoffs.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Hands down Foligno and Simmonds

We brought in Foligno just for playoffs. Nothing else
Everyone defended Simmonds throughout the year, I was never a fan of his game. There were few games here and there he looked ok, he looked better but really doesn't it bring it night in night out

I would like to see what he has to offer in playoffs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A case could be made for any player in a prominent role that has been here from the beginning of this run of playoff appearances for the team.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I actually think its everyone. The whole team. All these 1st round exits are not on individuals but us as a team, we have yet to be in a post season and lay it all on the ice.

Even our big guns haven't even gone ppg, goaltending may have been decent statistically but heart breakers on letting in floaters and at the worst times.

I mean this when i say this is the best leaf team i have ever seen in my life. Timecto live up to the potential as a TEAM like we did im the regular season.

We have some weight and toughness now, the core is now in their prime. Its go time.

They make it to the stanley cup final or it's a disappointment in my eyes after all those 1st round exits.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sheldon Keefe

Leafs have a deep and talented team that have the potential to go deep, so for me its the coach that has the most to prove that he can adjust and adapt and make the right systemic moves, roster & lineup decisions.

Expectations are high and this is a results oriented business.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
A case could be made for any player in a prominent role that has been here from the beginning of this run of playoff appearances for the team.

The core:
Matthews, Marner, JT, Nylander and Rielly.

Gotta agree. and I'd throw 31 in there too. Perhaps even especially.

These past years have been a practice of patience for the fans. This patience would wear thin if they go out in the first again. There is no reason to think that they should, but if 34, 16, 88, 44 shrivel and die under the pressure of the first round, it won't be the beginning of the future but the beginning of the end.

I'm excited and fully believe that they will massacre this first round. 34 especially.

Reactions: Buds17

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Tavares - Can he lead this team (as the captain) for a deep playoff run?
Keefe - Shoulders some responsibility for last year's quick exit. He was a rookie coach so fairly he gets some slack, but not this year.
Foligno - He was brought in at the cost of a first to solidify the team's top 9, provide some leadership, grit and solid defensive play. He doesn't have to score a PPG or get 10 hits per game but he has to prove the price was worth it.
Reilly - At some point in the near future he's going to be talking extension (I assume at least), what better way to increase his leverage than a Norris-calibre performance in the post-season?
Marner/Matthews - The team's best players have to be the best players on the ice, period, more nights than not. This team will not win unless they deliver big goals, and plenty of them.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Definitely matthews.

He's the 3rd highest paid player in the league.

He is below marner in playoff production.

He has never won a playoff series going back to even before the nhl, that I know of.

Many leaf fans seem to think he is a top 2 player in the league so he needs to have a post season worthy of that title.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm not sure why some think Keefe was "out-coached" or needs to be better. I don't think he had the horses last year as our 3rd and 4th lines were sub-par

Reactions: Kanu

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
Hands down Foligno and Simmonds

We brought in Foligno just for playoffs. Nothing else
Everyone defended Simmonds throughout the year, I was never a fan of his game. There were few games here and there he looked ok, he looked better but really doesn't it bring it night in night out

I would like to see what he has to offer in playoffs.
Simmonds is here for these playoffs. We will see the boys unleased. Those hits MTL leads us in won't happen in the playoffs.

Reactions: saffronleaf

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Would have been andersen number 1 but he isnt playing.

Behind andersen it would be:
Marner
Rielly
Nylander

Matthews had one bad playoff round. The rest he has been our best player by a landside. Marner and nylander are borderline ghosts. Dont care about nothing assists for marner. Rielly is just average across the board for a number 1 defenceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad