Proposal: Which JT Miller Deal do you prefer?

Which JT Miller Deal do you prefer?

• NYR- Kravstov, Lundkvist, 2023 1st

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • PITT- Marino, Poulin, #21

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • CBJ- Peeke, #12

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • LA- Grans, #19, Turcotte

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • BOS- Carlo, Lysell, #54

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Wash- McMichael, Lorio, #20, #46

Votes: 29 10.5%
  • NJD- Holtz, Mukhamadulin, 2023 1st w/lottery protection

Votes: 68 24.7%
  • CAR- Necas, Morrow, 2023 2nd

Votes: 67 24.4%

• Total voters

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Out of these deals listed, the Carlo deal probably intrigues me the most since this deal is the only deal that addresses our biggest issue: A Right Handed top 4 calibre Defenseman with exceptional defensive skills that could successfully be a 'ying to the yang' to one of OEL or Hughes.

You're not concerned about his concussion history at this point?

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
You're not concerned about his concussion history at this point?

I mean, its always on the back of your mind but Carlo also played 79 games this past season and seems to have no lingering issues:

It seems like reasonable trade off. The Bruins take on 29/30 year old Miller who could see a decline in play over the next few years, while we take on a guy who's had some concussion issues.

Getting a young RD with a stay-at home skillset (while not being a pylon and being susceptible to being hemmed in one's own zone) is a novelty in the NHL........and VERY difficult to trade for, if not impossible). I think a guy like Carlo could easily make guys like OEL and Hughes even better than they are now.

And to be perfectly honest, all players in the NHL are only 'one concussion away' from having their careers in jeopardy.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean, its always on the back of your mind but Carlo also played 79 games this past season and seems to have no lingering issues:

I didn't follow Carlo closely last season. I was under the impression that he didn't have a great season? Looking at his minutes he logged less than 20 minutes both in the regular season and in the playoffs.

I'm kind of more interested in getting younger if we're getting more or less a 2nd pairing shutdown Dman with a concussion history.

Reactions: Ruthervin

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
I didn't follow Carlo closely last season. I was under the impression that he didn't have a great season? Looking at his minutes he logged less than 20 minutes both in the regular season and in the playoffs.

I'm kind of more interested in getting younger if we're getting more or less a 2nd pairing shutdown Dman with a concussion history.
Boston is also deeper than us on the back-end with McAvoy, Lindholm, and Grzelcyk all ahead of Carlo on the depth chart. Was his lack of minutes due to a lack of ability or due to depth?

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The one where he’s traded.
Right or wrong, I truly don’t believe one word coming out of anyone’s mouth until I see a future serving J.T. Miller trade. Until then it’s all just bullshit smoke screening the mandate from the top that Rogers Arena has mandatory dates to fill in April.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
A straight one for one with Isles--Miller for Dobson, who's an RFA and needs a new contract.

Canucks take a step backward in the short term, but longer term their blueline is set for the next decade.

Does your brain allow you to think that's realistic?

I don't know I watch Lord of the Rings and love it because I can put aside reality and enjoy a different world of fantasy. Except this proposal is based on reality and I can't wrap my head around how out of touch it is to player value.

Dobson ascended very quickly last year. He is the future of the Islanders blue line, not Vancouver's. And if you want him in Vancouver it would cost us a Pettersson/Hughes level asset. A young and improving elite player.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
When did this happen? Do you have a source?
Vancouver drafted Quinn Hughes and left Noah Dobson on the board in the 2018 draft. Dobson was ranked ahead of Hughes in the final nhl rankings before the draft. Vancouver chose Quinn over Noah.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Does your brain allow you to think that's realistic?

I don't know I watch Lord of the Rings and love it because I can put aside reality and enjoy a different world of fantasy. Except this proposal is based on reality and I can't wrap my head around how out of touch it is to player value.

Dobson ascended very quickly last year. He is the future of the Islanders blue line, not Vancouver's. And if you want him in Vancouver it would cost us a Pettersson/Hughes level asset. A young and improving elite player.
Seems a bit harsh…

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Vancouver drafted Quinn Hughes and left Noah Dobson on the board in the 2018 draft. Dobson was ranked ahead of Hughes in the final nhl rankings before the draft. Vancouver chose Quinn over Noah.
There were plenty of rankings that had Hughes over Dobson too. It wasn't a Juolevi-Tkachuk scenario.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Seems a bit harsh…

I keep seeing our fans throw around Dobson's name like he's a realistic target.

Here take Miller, our expiring contract - a player who wants 8M+ for multiple years in his 30's....and we'll take that young and still improving elite top pairing defenseman from you.

The Islanders probably wouldn't trade Dobson for Pettersson. He's that good.

So if it's harsh I'm sorry I just find the whole idea ridiculous.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I don't disagree, but 3 other teams had a chance to take him and passed, NYI didn't even take him with their 1st chance to do so.

I don't really remember the talk around the draft but there must be a reason why he was drafted 12th instead of higher.
I feel like this is way simpler than it’s seeming here. I’m just saying if the Canucks wanted Dobson they could have had him.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
True, but QH was always considered to be the higher regarded defenseman. Most pundits had QH ranked higher than Dobson. In fact, QH was slated to go Top 4 by most and it came as a major shock when he dropped to #7. If the Canucks had drafted Dobson, we'd be currently complaining about not having a Quinn Hughes calibre guy in our system and so it's kind of a moot point no?

I agree with people here however that Miller isn't getting you Dobson.

Heck, Miller won't even get you Braden Schneider unfortunately. If the Canucks want a guy like Dobson, Pettersson would have to be involved in the transaction unfortunately.

For Fun:

-Pettersson for Dobson+
-Garland + 2nd for Severson (@MattMurdock 's idea not mine)

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Kuzemko-Horvat-Mikheyev
Pearson-Lazar-Hoglander
Dickinson-Jackson-Lockwood

???

OEL-Severson
Hughes-Dobson
Dermott-Myers

Poolman

Demko
Martin

Not sure if that would make us better or just different? My gut says it would make us worse.

Garland + 2nd for Severson by itself could be great

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Kuzemko-Pettersson-Mikeyev
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Dickinson-Lazar-Jackson

OEL-Severson
Hughes-Schenn
Dermott-Myers

Demko
Martin

Sorry guys, went off topic.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

Here take Miller, our expiring contract - a player who wants 8M+ for multiple years in his 30's....and we'll take that young and still improving elite top pairing defenseman from you.

Just because you find it ridiculous doesn’t mean it is. I don’t think you have an idea what has been offered, and like everyone else is taking an educated guess. You speak in absolutes that has a tone of arrogance that would seem to be unearned. Unless of course your an undercover insider who actually knows and are here specifically to manage our expectations by showering us with your condescending tone.

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
True, but QH was always considered to be the higher regarded defenseman. Most pundits had QH ranked higher than Dobson. In fact, QH was slated to go Top 4 by most and it came as a major shock when he dropped to #7. If the Canucks had drafted Dobson, we'd be currently complaining about not having a Quinn Hughes calibre guy in our system and so it's kind of a moot point no?

I agree with people here however that Miller isn't getting you Dobson.

Heck, Miller won't even get you Braden Schneider unfortunately. If the Canucks want a guy like Dobson, Pettersson would have to be involved in the transaction unfortunately.

For Fun:

-Pettersson for Dobson+
-Garland + 2nd for Severson (@MattMurdock 's idea not mine)

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Kuzemko-Horvat-Mikheyev
Pearson-Lazar-Hoglander
Dickinson-Jackson-Lockwood

???

OEL-Severson
Hughes-Dobson
Dermott-Myers

Poolman

Demko
Martin

Not sure if that would make us better or just different? My gut says it would make us worse.

Garland + 2nd for Severson by itself could be great

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser
Kuzemko-Pettersson-Mikeyev
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Dickinson-Lazar-Jackson

OEL-Severson
Hughes-Schenn
Dermott-Myers

Demko
Martin

Sorry guys, went off topic.
I’m just saying the Canucks had a choice between two guys both defendable at that position. They took Hughes. They passed on Dobson.

Nov 1, 2011

I agree we are not getting Dobson, the time to get him was two years ago. Think we could have gotten him for Boeser.

That being said, if we rip on JT Miller for being 30 and getting a big contract (although I consider him valuable). How is Barzal so valuable. He's one arbitration away from being a UFA and got paid $7m to put up 59 points in 73 games while playing mostly soft offensive hockey?

(I want Barzal on the team because he's from Coquitlam although I understand he's got some terrible off ice characteristics).

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Just because you find it ridiculous doesn’t mean it is. I don’t think you have an idea what has been offered, and like everyone else is taking an educated guess. You speak in absolutes that has a tone of arrogance that would seem to be unearned. Unless of course your an undercover insider who actually knows and are here specifically to manage our expectations by showering us with your condescending tone.

It's an absolute. You're not getting Dobson for Miller.

There's no arrogance, no condescension and no hockey insider required.

Don't take it so badly.

I agree we are not getting Dobson, the time to get him was two years ago. Think we could have gotten him for Boeser.

That being said, if we rip on JT Miller for being 30 and getting a big contract (although I consider him valuable). How is Barzal so valuable. He's one arbitration away from being a UFA and got paid $7m to put up 59 points in 73 games while playing mostly soft offensive hockey?

(I want Barzal on the team because he's from Coquitlam although I understand he's got some terrible off ice characteristics).

Agreed Boeser for Dobson could've been a possibility a couple years ago. Last year was a breakout for Dobson and unfortunately our fanbase just needs to let the idea go unless you are thinking EP the other way.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad