Proposal: Which JT Miller Deal do you prefer?

Which JT Miller Deal do you prefer?

• NYR- Kravstov, Lundkvist, 2023 1st

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • PITT- Marino, Poulin, #21

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • CBJ- Peeke, #12

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • LA- Grans, #19, Turcotte

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • BOS- Carlo, Lysell, #54

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Wash- McMichael, Lorio, #20, #46

Votes: 29 10.5%
  • NJD- Holtz, Mukhamadulin, 2023 1st w/lottery protection

Votes: 68 24.7%
  • CAR- Necas, Morrow, 2023 2nd

Votes: 67 24.4%

• Total voters

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Has Calgary's ridiculous contract for Huberdeau made it virtually impossible for the Canucks to ever re-sign Miller? A total of $84 million over 10 years for a player who's the same age as Miller, is totally beyond anything the Canucks could even contemplate.

But if it's any consolation three or four years from now, that contract will be a 'cap-killer' for the Canucks' Pacific Division rivals.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Has Calgary's ridiculous contract for Huberdeau made it virtually impossible for the Canucks to ever re-sign Miller? A total of $84 million over 10 years for a player who's the same age as Miller, is totally beyond anything the Canucks could even contemplate.

But if it's any consolation three or four years from now, that contract will be a 'cap-killer' for the Canucks' Pacific Division rivals.
As much as I would like Miller to sign a team friendly contract (which is 99% not going to happen)..The management would be dumb to sign him based on a 99 point season, and i would hedge my bets on him not repeating that next season.

Reactions: theguardianII

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

Let's wait and see what Kadri gets. Grass isn't always greener for UFAs these past few years.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Huberdeau had 115 points as well as a 90+ point season and 5 straight PPG seasons. Miller isn't getting anywhere near $10 million and likely not even $9 million unless he follows up last season with 100+ points this year.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The situation with Miller in Vancouver is completely unlike Gaudreau and Tkachuk in Calgary. Both those gues wanted out of Cowtown. Miller likes it in Vancouver and if reports are accurate, would like to re-sign.

Could still happen if the Canucks could find a way to move out a bad contract or two. Myers and Dickinson for starters.

Who knows? Despite all the ink that's been spilled, maybe Miller's tenure in Vancouver isn't done yet.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Now that Kadri has apparently spurned the Islanders and gone to the Flames, Canucks fans are burning up the Internet to see what the Isles have to offer in a trade for J.T. Miller.

The answer--other than Dobson and maybe Walstrom--is not very much. And I can't see the Isles letting either guy go in a deal for an impending UFA like Miller. As for the rest of the Isles' blueliners, they come in a price point that makes zero sense for the cap-strapped Canucks.

Rutherford has already said that if he trades Miller, he wants roster players who can play 'right now' as opposed to just 'being in the pipeline'. And trades with Lou Lamoriello are notoriously tough to make and come out with any kind of edge.

Still a high degree of probability that Miller starts the year in Vancouver.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Now that Kadri has apparently spurned the Islanders and gone to the Flames, Canucks fans are burning up the Internet to see what the Isles have to offer in a trade for J.T. Miller.

The answer--other than Dobson and maybe Walstrom--is not very much. And I can't see the Isles letting either guy go in a deal for an impending UFA like Miller. As for the rest of the Isles' blueliners, they come in a price point that makes zero sense for the cap-strapped Canucks.

Rutherford has already said that if he trades Miller, he wants roster players who can play 'right now' as opposed to just 'being in the pipeline'. And trades with Lou Lamoriello are notoriously tough to make and come out with any kind of edge.

Still a high degree of probability that Miller starts the year in Vancouver.
Would like to find that quote about finding "right now" and not younger players to grow together or depth or

Retention is the key for any of those deals. No matter who would be moved to whatever team retention will get more in return and if it is only for one year then now big deal.

NYI might be interested in OEL or Myers if included with retention. If the Nux retained 50% of OEL it would be a cap hit of 3.63 mil for 5 years but NYI would have a past Norris candidate for 3.63 mil. That is worth a lot, Dobson easily for a win now team now combine that with a Miller/Horvat retention and the Canucks are under the cap with Dobson signed to a 6 mil a year cap hit. Even Garland could have retention and the team gain cap space. And cap space can do wonders as Calgary is demonstrating now. There are lots of "hockey" trades with cap space, teams just have to be willing to suffer for a year or two and it isn't like the Canucks are going to fly past the top 9 team in the conference staying with the group they have now, they haven't in the last 4 years.

Just one last thing, I do think the Canucks can make the playoffs THIS year because of all the teams that will be tanking to get two NHL players out of the next draft not because they improve that much.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The issue for the Islanders and the Canucks, is that with J.T. Miller in their respective lineups, they're probably a better than even bet to be back in the playoffs. Without him, the playoffs become 'iffy'

It's the reason why if Rutherford does trade Miller, he's got to get something back that will help the team 'now'.
And looking up and down the Isles roster on 'Cap Friendly' they have very few players that fit the bill. They're either dramatically overpaid, or are 'untouchables' like Dobson, Walstrom or Raty.

So I'd be surprised if anything happened......but losing out on Kadri really puts the pressure squarely on the Isles.

;

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
At this point, I'm expecting a TDL deal for a late 1st rounder plus a blue chip prospect. Trading Miller is not going to undo 8 years of Benning's incompetence.

Canucks' fans are going to have patience forced upon them, one way or another.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Some of you still don't get it.

Noah Dobson has nearly as much value as EP40.

So this Miller for Dobson world is just so out of touch I don't know what else can be said about it. Stop dreaming. Stop being too much of a homer. You're not getting that player.

Think a deal would look more like Mayfield, 2023 2nd, good prospect. Just in terms of value not even sure what hand/side Mayfield plays.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

So this Miller for Dobson world is just so out of touch I don't know what else can be said about it. Stop dreaming. Stop being too much of a homer. You're not getting that player.

Think a deal would look more like Mayfield, 2023 2nd, good prospect. Just in terms of value not even sure what hand/side Mayfield plays.

Yah agree - people thinking we are getting Dobson are completely out to lunch...........lots of fans still haven't woken up the reality of his value. I doubt even a single one of the proposed trades asking which one we would choose would be on the table now. Hopefully once the season starts and teams can open up some cap with LTIR that changes but right now - with cap space at a premium - he doesn't hold nearly the value a lot of us once thought he did

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think I could care any less at this stage. A lot of smoke and mirrors from a different presenter but it's still the same old show here in Vancouver. All talk and no action. Pretty disappointed overall from this offseason. I expected much more.

Reactions: Breakers

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver

2023 1st+ Auty Raty as a base? too much too little? hard to judge millers value rn. main board seems to think his value is a lot lower than most canucks fans.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
2023 1st+ Auty Raty as a base? too much too little? hard to judge millers value rn. main board seems to think his value is a lot lower than most canucks fans.
I don't love it, but 1st, Raty, Mayfield for Miller is possibly something I could see interesting them. Mayfield is an upgrade over Schenn, but is only signed through this season, but he's a pieces that either helps the team make a playoff push or they can flip him at the deadline. Raty is a legit center prospect that could potentially replace some of what Miller provided as early as next season('23/24) and a 1st is always a bonus.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think I could care any less at this stage. A lot of smoke and mirrors from a different presenter but it's still the same old show here in Vancouver. All talk and no action. Pretty disappointed overall from this offseason. I expected much more.
This is starting to remind me a lot of the Matt Duchene situation in Colorado. Avs' fans complained bitterly that it was taking Sakic forever to trade Duchene, who unlike Miller, actually wanted out of Denver. And the team needed help in almost every area.

But the Av's could afford to be patient, until the absolute right deal came along. Finally in a complicated three-way deal between Nashville and Ottawa, the Av's acquired a boatload of high draft picks along with prospects Shane Bowers and Samuel Girard. And they used one of those high picks to select Bowen Byrum.

The deal was a home run in every respect. Sometimes patience is a virtue, although it can be frustrating to fans.

Reactions: Steamer

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This is starting to remind me a lot of the Matt Duchene situation in Colorado. Avs' fans complained bitterly that it was taking Sakic forever to trade Duchene, who unlike Miller, actually wanted out of Denver. And the team needed help in almost every area.

But the Av's could afford to be patient, until the absolute right deal came along. Finally in a complicated three-way deal between Nashville and Ottawa, the Av's acquired a boatload of high draft picks along with prospects Shane Bowers and Samuel Girard. And they used one of those high picks to select Bowen Byrum.

The deal was a home run in every respect. Sometimes patience is a virtue, although it can be frustrating to fans.

The big difference here is age. Miller is on the wrong side of age and any extension is almost certainly going to be a disaster for the giving team. I was preaching patience 3 months ago but that ship has sailed for me. We'll see I guess but I'm definitely in the frustrated camp.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
JT Miller for Sam Reinhart:

I know it's not one of the options listed here but I think this deal might make sense for both teams.

Florida does this because.....

• Miller is an upgrade on Reinhart and would look deadly playing alongside Barkov and Tkachuk.
  • Miller, along with the recent addition of Tkachuk, could be the guy that tips the needle in terms of Florida coming out of the East.
  • Like Reinhart, Miller can play both C and W.
Canucks do this because.......

• They get the younger asset in Reinhart that would be signed to a cap friendly deal for one year longer.
  • As a BC boy, Reinhart might also be willing to stay put in BC when his contract expires.
  • Reinhart (26/27) also fits our teams' target age group better than Miller. Like it or not, Alvin is acquiring players that are in that mid-20's age group (i.e. Kuzemko, Dermott, Mikheyev, etc.). Reinhart fits that target.
  • Like Miller, Reinhart can play both C and W.

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Kuzemko-Reinhart-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Garland
Dickinson-Lazar-Hoglander

OEL-Myers
Hughes-Schenn
Rathbone-Dermott

Demko
Martin

Reactions: HockeyWooot

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
After the ridiculous 7x7 deal for 32 year old (by the start of the season) Kadri, it seems very unlikely we will sign him.

The Sean Monahan trade reminds us how incredibly valuable cap space is, even for 1 season as Calgary had to give up a 1st round pick to ship him out. That gives me hope that Miller is more valuable than some might think, because with Miller being closer to an 8.5 per year player, the last year of his contract represents 3.25 in cap savings. A Noah Dobson level player may not be too far fetched if you throw in Rathbone or Hoglander.

Anyways, the only path moving forward looks like a trade.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
JT Miller for Sam Reinhart:

I know it's not one of the options listed here but I think this deal might make sense for both teams.

Florida does this because.....

• Miller is an upgrade on Reinhart and would look deadly playing alongside Barkov and Tkachuk.
  • Miller, along with the recent addition of Tkachuk, could be the guy that tips the needle in terms of Florida coming out of the East.
  • Like Reinhart, Miller can play both C and W.
Canucks do this because.......

• They get the younger asset in Reinhart that would be signed to a cap friendly deal for one year longer.
  • As a BC boy, Reinhart might also be willing to stay put in BC when his contract expires.
  • Reinhart (26/27) also fits our teams' target age group better than Miller. Like it or not, Alvin is acquiring players that are in that mid-20's age group (i.e. Kuzemko, Dermott, Mikheyev, etc.). Reinhart fits that target.
  • Like Miller, Reinhart can play both C and W.

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Mikheyev
Kuzemko-Reinhart-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Garland
Dickinson-Lazar-Hoglander

OEL-Myers
Hughes-Schenn
Rathbone-Dermott

Demko
Martin
I would even throw in Hoglander to get it done

Reactions: Ruthervin

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

Exactly.

How do people think the conversations go between GMs?

"Hey, you want Miller, I want Dobson."

"Nah. You can't afford to re-sign him. I'll just wait until he's a FA."

"Okay, we'll take Mayfield, 2023 1st"

"Nah. You can't afford to re-sign him. I'll just wait until he's a FA."

The cap era is full of players not getting their "in a vacuum" worth, and Miller won't be an exception as hard as they're trying to avoid it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad