Proposal: Which JT Miller Deal do you prefer?

Which JT Miller Deal do you prefer?

• NYR- Kravstov, Lundkvist, 2023 1st

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • PITT- Marino, Poulin, #21

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • CBJ- Peeke, #12

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • LA- Grans, #19, Turcotte

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • BOS- Carlo, Lysell, #54

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Wash- McMichael, Lorio, #20, #46

Votes: 29 10.5%
  • NJD- Holtz, Mukhamadulin, 2023 1st w/lottery protection

Votes: 68 24.7%
  • CAR- Necas, Morrow, 2023 2nd

Votes: 67 24.4%

• Total voters

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Exactly.

How do people think the conversations go between GMs?

"Hey, you want Miller, I want Dobson."

"Nah. You can't afford to re-sign him. I'll just wait until he's a FA."

"Okay, we'll take Mayfield, 2023 1st"

"Nah. You can't afford to re-sign him. I'll just wait until he's a FA."

The cap era is full of players not getting their "in a vacuum" worth, and Miller won't be an exception as hard as they're trying to avoid it.

Thats also not how conversations go because then JR would say, will you be around next season if you don't make the playoffs? or Good lucking signing him when he played the season with team X.

the writings on the wall! sign miller 8x6 THANK YOU JIM

Why does miller sign this? This is less than what Kadri just got in Total dollars.

Reactions: Ruthervin

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Thats also not how conversations go because then JR would say, will you be around next season if you don't make the playoffs? or Good lucking signing him when he played the season with team X.

Why does miller sign this? This is less than what Kadri just got in Total dollars.

That is exactly how the conversations goes.

Who in their right mind would drop a "But you might get fired" into a negotiation and not expect to get laughed at? Trying to insert a random unknown variable such as potentially firing the other GM yields zero actual gain.

The Canucks have no leverage with an upcoming FA and no cap space. Because the negotiating team knows the Canucks aren't able to re-sign him; they are the ones that need to move him.

The Islanders don't *need* to trade for him. The Canucks *need* to trade him. (Or get nothing for him.) This is not a position of power in negotiating. This is why you have decent players being moved for nothing, or having to pay to move them out.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you trade Pettersson you're banking on Miller and Horvat to get you to the promised land. It's doable but they'll both be 28 and 30 when their next contracts begin. How long of a window do they give you?

There's no young center with potential in the pipe line. None at the level of Pettersson. Maybe you're hoping the + in the Dobson + could become that... but this feels like stealing from one area to sewer another.

Exactly who is the best Canuck center prospect in the pipeline and will said player even be a good AHLer?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Who in their right mind would drop a "But you might get fired" into a negotiation and not expect to get laughed at? Trying to insert a random unknown variable such as potentially firing the other GM yields zero actual gain.

The Canucks have no leverage with an upcoming FA and no cap space. Because the negotiating team knows the Canucks aren't able to re-sign him; they are the ones that need to move him.

The Islanders don't *need* to trade for him. The Canucks *need* to trade him. (Or get nothing for him.) This is not a position of power in negotiating. This is why you have decent players being moved for nothing, or having to pay to move them out.
I disagree. GMs know each other well and know who's under pressure, who's on the hot seat etc. I think they could work that as leverage, or at least bring it up in a friendly/joking waythat might just stay with someone and influence a move.

Reactions: racerjoe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

If look up you will see my point above your head. Conversations don’t actually go anything like we were discussing, but the pressures of the job from all sides are felt.

And while we lose leverage, if a team WANTS Miller, they can’t risk him going to another team or losing him in FA.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see that Eklund at Hockey Buzz is reporting that the three NY teams, the Isles, Devils and Rangers are all in the Miller sweepstakes, and are putting together their best offers.

He's predicting that the Canucks will soon give Miller permission to talk an 'extension' with any of those three teams. And if an agreement can be reached, Miller could be gone by training camp. Checking the rosters on 'Cap Friendly', I still think the Rangers are the best fit.

I realize it's only 'Eklund"....but he can't be wrong all of the time.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I see that Eklund at Hockey Buzz is reporting that the three NY teams, the Isles, Devils and Rangers are all in the Miller sweepstakes, and are putting together their best offers.

He's predicting that the Canucks will soon give Miller permission to talk an 'extension' with any of those three teams. And if an agreement can be reached, Miller could be gone by training camp. Checking the rosters on 'Cap Friendly', I still think the Rangers are the best fit.

I realize it's only 'Eklund"....but he can't be wrong all of the time.

I must confess that I accidentally checked in on Eklund a couple of weeks ago out of pure desperation. I share this with you and only you. I forbid others from reading this post and laughing at me.

It would be very funny that after a decade of laughing at him, if Eklund is finally right.

On a side note, Hockeybuzz is an atrocious website; ugly, slow, and horribly formatted.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
if i were petty enough, whenever a big name gets traded, i would go back to the threads discussing said player's imminent trade and then reply with "looks like you were wrong" to every poster playing armchair GM on behalf of their team

Reactions: racerjoe and Vector

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I think the Canucks are only going to trade him only if they are offered something absurdly good, like a decent right d and a top 6 center or forward, otherwise they want to see what this very deep forward group (with Miller) can do - Kuzmenko is producing, Pettersson and Podz take the next step, Boeser returns to form etc. If the Canucks are leading the division and in the top echelons of the league, management might not trade him at all so the team can try for a playoff run (anything can happen).

I pose this question... If the Canucks keep Miller going into this season and are leading the division (or close to it) in March, do we trade Miller or keep him? Keep in mind that to get to the final 4 we would have to beat Pacific teams, which would be an easier path. I think Allvin and Rutherford would not trade him. I wouldn't either.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think the Canucks are only going to trade him only if they are offered something absurdly good, like a decent right d and a top 6 center or forward, otherwise they want to see what this very deep forward group (with Miller) can do - Kuzmenko is producing, Pettersson and Podz take the next step, Boeser returns to form etc. If the Canucks are leading the division and in the top echelons of the league, management might not trade him at all so the team can try for a playoff run (anything can happen).

I pose this question... If the Canucks keep Miller going into this season and are leading the division (or close to it) in March, do we trade Miller or keep him? Keep in mind that to get to the final 4 we would have to beat Pacific teams, which would be an easier path. I think Allvin and Rutherford would not trade him. I wouldn't either.
We were climbing close to a playoff spot last TDL and (reportedly) pulled JT off the market. So it’s likely we do the same this year, no matter what JR is saying now about how we will trade Miller at the TDL if he’s not extended.
Has a playoff team ever traded their top scorer and best forward (for futures) at a TDL? I can’t think of one.
It’s far more likely we keep (even unsigned) JT through the season and the PR spin from management will be about how JT is our rental, or something like that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's interesting looking at the trade options in this poll, there's one major scenario missing. Of course that is signing Miller to a long-term extension.

Still unlikely to happen.....but the salary cap is poised to make a big leap forward in 2023-24, so who knows?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I don’t think there’s any chance they trade Miller if they’re comfortably top 2 in the division at the trade deadline. Barely in a playoff spot or on the outside looking in, I think they probably move him.

Reactions: Ruthervin

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I do think that there is a chance they keep Miller through the season and actually sign him prior to UFA next summer. The issue with re-signing him isn’t fitting him in this upcoming season, it’s 2023 and beyond. I think if they were able to move Myers, or Pearson or even Dickinson this offseason, there’s a chance they may have already signed Miller. If they can move 1 or 2 of those guys at the deadline or in the offseason before free agency opens up, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Miller signed at that point, especially if he has another big season and the team does make the playoffs.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
if i were petty enough, whenever a big name gets traded, i would go back to the threads discussing said player's imminent trade and then reply with "looks like you were wrong" to every poster playing armchair GM on behalf of their team
I feel like I am petty enough. That said, it sounds like too much time spent chasing idiots around. So I guess I am not petty enough after all.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Lock it up. Its Miller time

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad