Speculation: Which Jets aren't coming back?

Who's gone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I see no need for conditional statements. I will just post something unflattering about Chevy. :nod:

I will honestly be gobsmacked if DeMelo re-signs before he hits UFA status. That would be crazy for a guy that basically has had a cup of coffee with the Jets. It's not like he's been here from the start of his career and developed a sense of... well, loyalty is probably not the right word but you get my drift. Why give up on your first chance at Overpay Frenzy day for a team that means little to you? And has anyone asked the question, why was one of the worst teams in the league seemingly uninterested in re-signing DeMelo? Is this guy really the bee's knees that some are making him out to be?

I'm not going to get my wife's panties in a bunch if he moves on.
I like DeMelo, but I agree that rushing to sign him in this cap / financial environment might not be the wisest move. Waiting might allow a better deal with DeMelo, or provide other options that might shake free in this situation. For example, I would like the Jets to consider mechanisms to acquire a young RD like Cernak from TB.

My main concern is that Chevy / Chipman will sign Hamonic for way too much and too long. It's not that Hamonic hasn't had some good years, it's more that he's been very uneven and doesn't really have any upside at this point.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think Brossoit's resume will earn him a shot at a starting job anywhere.
27 YO. 68 NHL games, .906 sv%. JMO but I think he has established himself as a career backup. I hope we keep him. Berdin is not ready. Comrie is not able.

Yeah but there might be teams with shaky starters that are willing to bring him in to platoon starts. He could probably get more than the 20 we are likely to give him. I think Berdin is ready already has two season of AHL under his belt and playing well. Not much more he can do down there to prepare for backup duty.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I like DeMelo, but I agree that rushing to sign him in this cap / financial environment might not be the wisest move. Waiting might allow a better deal with DeMelo, or provide other options that might shake free in this situation. For example, I would like the Jets to consider mechanisms to acquire a young RD like Cernak from TB.

My main concern is that Chevy / Chipman will sign Hamonic for way too much and too long. It's not that Hamonic hasn't had some good years, it's more that he's been very uneven and doesn't really have any upside at this point.

On the flip side we know Hamonic wants to be in Winnipeg more than anywhere else. Which usually doesnt happen for us. We could maybe use that as leverage and get him signed for cheaper than he otherwise could be signed for.

Reactions: voyageur

Whileee

May 29, 2010
On the flip side we know Hamonic wants to be in Winnipeg more than anywhere else. Which usually doesnt happen for us. We could maybe use that as leverage and get him signed for cheaper than he otherwise could be signed for.
I'd be okay with Hamonic for a cheap contract (well below market value), but I don't think he's the solution for the top-4 D, and might not be better than Poolman at this stage.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd be okay with Hamonic for a cheap contract (well below market value), but I don't think he's the solution for the top-4 D, and might not be better than Poolman at this stage.

I'd be okay with like 1-3 years at $4m. Doesn't break us and we still have some room to sign others when the time comes. Gives us an option to at least run someone decent on the right hand side. If we can get DeMelo then that isn't to bad.

MoJo - DeMelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Hamonic
Niku, Poolman in the box most nights unless they can claim a spot

The key there is Samberg and Heinola being ready, if they aren't then we will have to sign some cheap guys for a 1 year to step in until they are. But as of now and with the extended time off I think Samberg should be ready to step into that 2LD spot with Pionk being the more offensive of the two. Samberg can provide some steady D, physicality and puck moving ability to compliment Pionk's game. DeMelo can do the same for Morrissey. Then Hamonic can provide some veteran ability and D to help Heinola along for the time being. Niku and Poolman can play spot duty and fill in when needed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah but there might be teams with shaky starters that are willing to bring him in to platoon starts. He could probably get more than the 20 we are likely to give him. I think Berdin is ready already has two season of AHL under his belt and playing well. Not much more he can do down there to prepare for backup duty.

Do we want him to be an OK backup or a potential starter?

Berdin showed all the hallmarks of a good young goalie in his first pro starter gig. He had some incredible stretches and poor stretches. He needs another year in the AHL to work on his consistency as a starting goalie. The skill is there but needs some refining. Of all goes well he is the backup a year from now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do we want him to be an OK backup or a potential starter?

Berdin showed all the hallmarks of a good young goalie in his first pro starter gig. He had some incredible stretches and poor stretches. He needs another year in the AHL to work on his consistency as a starting goalie. The skill is there but needs some refining. Of all goes well he is the backup a year from now.

I think working on one can lead to the other. I remember a couple years ago Garret mentioning that teams are hanging onto their goalies for way to long at lower levels and missing out on kisd providing them with solid backup ability early on because they "aren't ready". I think the reason we don't see young goalies consistently breaking in is because they aren't being given the opportunity to do so. There seems to be the unwritten rule that a late drafted goalie has to play in the AHL until they are 23-24 before they get a shot. I say Berdin has both the confidence and the ability to be an NHL backup right now and he can work his way into being a journeyman in short order. If we can bring in someone that can get 25-30 starts now I think that is a better option then riding Helle into the ground and using a backup for 20 or less. Though we will have a much better idea where he is at in next years camp but I'm going to say I'm pretty confident that he can be a 25-30 game guy by next year.

Reactions: JetsUK

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd be okay with like 1-3 years at $4m. Doesn't break us and we still have some room to sign others when the time comes. Gives us an option to at least run someone decent on the right hand side. If we can get DeMelo then that isn't to bad.

MoJo - DeMelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Hamonic

The key there is Samberg and Heinola being ready, if they aren't then we will have to sign some cheap guys for a 1 year to step in until they are. But as of now and with the extended time off I think Samberg should be ready to step into that 2LD spot with Pionk being the more offensive of the two. Samberg can provide some steady D, physicality and puck moving ability to compliment Pionk's game. DeMelo can do the same for Morrissey. Then Hamonic can provide some veteran ability and D to help Heinola along for the time being. Niku and Poolman can play spot duty and fill in when needed.

I'd be ok with Hamonic on the bottom pairing but we can't afford 4 million a year on a bottom pairing guy. The most I'd pay is 2 million per.

Reactions: Mathil8

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
There are several reasons for keeping some of those players. The 4th line is 3 right there. 13th F is another. 2LD insurance in case Samberg is not ready. 3 LD if he is. 7th and 8th D are 2 more. That's 8 reasons. :)

True although my main point was that those guys are very easy to replace and not particularly good. My hope would be we can either fill with Moose (think Appleton/Harkins from this year) or other cheap UFAs that could potentially be better.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

MoJo - DeMelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola - Hamonic

I like it except that I can't see the left side. You get an injury to Morrissey, you have Samberg, Heinola, Niku as depth. Not one has played the PK on a regular shift on the Jets roster. So you'd have to go further down to Dahlstrom or Stanley to find a replacement. If Boo Boo is in Niku's place, I'd be happier, because really if Heinola makes the team, we have no need for Niku whatsoever. If Heinola isn't deemed ready, Beaulieu-Hamonic would be a hard hitting d-pair, hard to say if they would be good together though. But maybe you go the Tampa route, and have Morrissey-Hamonic, Samberg-Pionk, Beaulieu-De Melo (PK1). Be a tough break for Poolman though, to go from starting 2019, in the first 10 games, on the top pairing, to being in the pressbox.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
No interest in Eakin. Hes not a solution for any of our holes.

a51.gif

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd be ok with Hamonic on the bottom pairing but we can't afford 4 million a year on a bottom pairing guy. The most I'd pay is 2 million per.

Yeah I think its going to be tough to get him to take almost a 2 million pay cut but you never know. Guess it depends on how badly he wants to come to Winnipeg and by all account he wants to be here more than anywhere else. But would the Jets management feel bad trying to take advantage of his situation?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I like it except that I can't see the left side. You get an injury to Morrissey, you have Samberg, Heinola, Niku as depth. Not one has played the PK on a regular shift on the Jets roster. So you'd have to go further down to Dahlstrom or Stanley to find a replacement. If Boo Boo is in Niku's place, I'd be happier, because really if Heinola makes the team, we have no need for Niku whatsoever. If Heinola isn't deemed ready, Beaulieu-Hamonic would be a hard hitting d-pair, hard to say if they would be good together though. But maybe you go the Tampa route, and have Morrissey-Hamonic, Samberg-Pionk, Beaulieu-De Melo (PK1). Be a tough break for Poolman though, to go from starting 2019, in the first 10 games, on the top pairing, to being in the pressbox.

I think either way with an injury on the left side you won't be left with much. Boo Boo isn't particularly great and if we need a replacement we could probably find a better one on waivers or FA.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I think its going to be tough to get him to take almost a 2 million pay cut but you never know. Guess it depends on how badly he wants to come to Winnipeg and by all account he wants to be here more than anywhere else. But would the Jets management feel bad trying to take advantage of his situation?

Should they feel bad? Its not like hes been steller the last 3 to 4 years. His offense is pretty non existent and his defense isn't what it used to be. I have to think 2.5 million would be his market rate right now. Taking a pay cut would have everything to do with ability at this point.

@Whileee what does evolving predict his contract value to be?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think either way with an injury on the left side you won't be left with much. Boo Boo isn't particularly great and if we need a replacement we could probably find a better one on waivers or FA.

Who do you expose in the expansion draft? We will need a cheap vet signed for two years that meets the requirements?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Who do you expose in the expansion draft? We will need a cheap vet signed for two years that meets the requirements?

Good point. I'd have to take a look at what we have and need. But signing someone to expose is a pretty easy task. Any warm body would do as we only have to protect Morrissey, Pionk and DeMelo (if he signs) at least I think .I'd have to look at the chart to see who is exposed.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I won't disagree about his greatness, although he did a pretty good job all year, and shot blocking is not something everybody can do. That +15 sure looks better than anyone else. I also think De Melo's willingness to sign with the Jets would be contingent on bringing Boo Boo back, since he was the in to him fitting in.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good point. I'd have to take a look at what we have and need. But signing someone to expose is a pretty easy task. Any warm body would do as we only have to protect Morrissey, Pionk and DeMelo (if he signs) at least I think .I'd have to look at the chart to see who is exposed.

Yeah it could be anyone, ideally someone who already has met the games played requirements. But knowing us we will have enough injuries to fill it either way.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Should they feel bad? Its not like hes been steller the last 3 to 4 years. His offense is pretty non existent and his defense isn't what it used to be. I have to think 2.5 million would be his market rate right now. Taking a pay cut would have everything to do with ability at this point.

@Whileee what does evolving predict his contract value to be?
Screenshot_20200819-155025~2.png

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I see no need for conditional statements. I will just post something unflattering about Chevy. :nod:

I will honestly be gobsmacked if DeMelo re-signs before he hits UFA status. That would be crazy for a guy that basically has had a cup of coffee with the Jets. It's not like he's been here from the start of his career and developed a sense of... well, loyalty is probably not the right word but you get my drift. Why give up on your first chance at Overpay Frenzy day for a team that means little to you? And has anyone asked the question, why was one of the worst teams in the league seemingly uninterested in re-signing DeMelo? Is this guy really the bee's knees that some are making him out to be?

I'm not going to get my wife's panties in a bunch if he moves on.

You may not get your wife's panties in a bunch, but i will. :naughty: I don't see anything else out there to stabilize our D corps. I don't see any significance in the worst run team in the league not signing him. If Chevy can come up with a better solution, fine. But I doubt that happens.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't think Berdin is ready until sometime after he can take the Moose starting job away from Comrie.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True although my main point was that those guys are very easy to replace and not particularly good. My hope would be we can either fill with Moose (think Appleton/Harkins from this year) or other cheap UFAs that could potentially be better.

I think those guys are actually pretty good - at their price point. We don't have much left on the Moose. The good D men there aren't ready yet. There may be other cheap UFA's but I doubt they are any better and at least these ones are known.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad