Speculation: Which Jets aren't coming back?

Who's gone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
NHL GMs preparing for new economic realities brought on by COVID-19

Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said he expects to see some restricted free agents across the league who would have normally been tagged with qualifying offers cut loose.

“There will be some interesting decisions and some interesting discussions — some decisions that some organizations are going to be faced with that they didn’t anticipate,” he said.

“There are going to be some tough decisions, certainly in our organization, but in other organizations as well.”

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

A1D3557C-33A0-4F1E-A3AA-6A12707FA759.gif

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said he expects to see some restricted free agents across the league who would have normally been tagged with qualifying offers cut loose.

“There will be some interesting decisions and some interesting discussions — some decisions that some organizations are going to be faced with that they didn’t anticipate,” he said.

“There are going to be some tough decisions, certainly in our organization, but in other organizations as well.”
That's some classic Chevyspeak right there... :laugh:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I think the toughest decision for Chevy is what to do with Little going forward. Does he close the door on his career, force him into semi-retirement or leave the window open for the player? That's a significant amount of cap space, if you leave that space open, you are looking at having a $76 million payroll tops. That leaves about $14 million to spend on 8-9 players. Hard to address the 2C hole and 1 RD with those constraints. The Perreault buyout factor is probably another decision that he has to consider. There has to be room for internal growth. And you have different spectrums, guys like De Melo that are trying to cash in on their 1st go at free agency, players who may take less to stay at home, and players who become free agents or available through trade because their respective teams can't afford them, or have lower internal budgets.

Will be an exciting offseason, which I think will lend some steam into the December startup. But how long can you sustain things without fans, or make profits with less of them?

I expect alot of one and two year deals from the management side for role players, especially with expansion draft considerations.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Trade Wheeler for Dumba.

Send Wheeler back to Minnesota where he belongs.
He will wave the NTC to go home.

Minnesota doesn't need to trade Dumba. They don't have 4 forwards worth protecting in the expansion draft. They are a defense first team, no surprise with Scott Stevens coaching over there. What I would be afraid of is the Wild signing Buff too, on the cheap, and then Laine or Ehlers could get broken off the rush.

I remember when we got our team it was said nobody would want to play here. And we signed Rick Rypien, Derek Meech, Kyle Wellwood, Randy Jones. We signed Perreault. And then Kane forced his way out. Trouba eventually forced his way out. Every off season but 2017 seems we lost more players on the market than we added. But guys did want to play here. Buff signed long term. Little signed long term. Wheeler signed long term. The young kids we drafted signed long term. Now some fans don't like that we have long term commitments:laugh:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Minnesota doesn't need to trade Dumba. They don't have 4 forwards worth protecting in the expansion draft. They are a defense first team, no surprise with Scott Stevens coaching over there. What I would be afraid of is the Wild signing Buff too, on the cheap, and then Laine or Ehlers could get broken off the rush.

I remember when we got our team it was said nobody would want to play here. And we signed Rick Rypien, Derek Meech, Kyle Wellwood, Randy Jones. We signed Perreault. And then Kane forced his way out. Trouba eventually forced his way out. Every off season but 2017 seems we lost more players on the market than we added. But guys did want to play here. Buff signed long term. Little signed long term. Wheeler signed long term. The young kids we drafted signed long term. Now some fans don't like that we have long term commitments:laugh:
Parise and Zuccarello have a NMC and staal has a 10 team no trade list and they will protect Fiala

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Parise and Zuccarello have a NMC and staal has a 10 team no trade list and they will protect Fiala

Staal is UFA at the end of the year. So if Parise doesn't get moved I'd say those 3 and then you get down to Eriksson-Ek, Kunin, or Hartman. Unless they add somebody in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad