Speculation: Which Jets aren't coming back?

Who's gone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Could be a lot gm/player speak. Chevy never really lets us know how negotiations are going. Plus as mentioned in another thread I have a sneaky suspicion he may have something lined up for a better RD to play with Morrissey.
I'm a little concerned about Chevy's judgement with regards to defensemen...if DeMelo signs somewhere for $2.75M and we get Hamonic for $4M, I'll probably post something unflattering about it here. ;)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm a little concerned about Chevy's judgement with regards to defensemen...if DeMelo signs somewhere for $2.75M and we get Hamonic for $4M, I'll probably post something unflattering about it here. ;)

Well yeah if its a down grade then I'll be pissed. Our pro scouts have seemed to have been better with with dmen the last few years so here's hoping it continues.

I'm still trumpeting my major shakeup idea of Laine for Ekblad and Tippett. No more fillers on defense go out and get a legit top pairing dmen to replace Buff.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Well yeah if its a down grade then I'll be pissed. Our pro scouts have seemed to have been better with with dmen the last few years so here's hoping it continues.

I'm still trumpeting my major shakeup idea of Laine for Ekblad and Tippett. No more fillers on defense go out and get a legit top pairing dmen to replace Buff.
The thought of Laine and Barkov makes me sick.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets should try to re-sign DeMelo and Shore. I expect them to re-sign Beaulieu, and maybe Sbisa or Kulikov, though it think those would be mistakes (unless Kulikov is very inexpensive).

I doubt they'll re-sign Letestu, but won't be surprised if the sign Bourque and Shaw (both mistakes, in my view).

Biggest mistake would be signing Eakin, considering cost and performance. I doubt they'll do it, but you never know.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Both sides reported recently that they haven't even really talked about it yet - which doesn't make much sense to me if one or both parties are interested in an extension here.

The Jets should be ALL OVER this: a decent, not-too-expensive RD? Signing this guy should be a high priority - the fact that nothing's been done up to this point seems to indicate that it's not.
That was before they were knocked out I am assuming?
DeMelo has stated he would love to play here and the coach raves about him. DeMelo will re-sign. I hope it is for at least 4 years.
I've stated I'd rather have him than Poink if it came down to it and it should because both are 2nd pairing D men and Poink is going to cost us more.
Give the 1PP to Ekblad/Morissey and let DeMelo play 2nd pair with Slamberg and team them up on the PK as well.
I agree with going out and getting a bona fide 1RHD and if that is Ekblad, I'm all for it.
Laine wouldn't be a part of the trade though and I think FL would be more interested in a cost controlled Poink, 10th overall and what else it might cost.
Ekblad and Morrissey would be a great 1st pairing if you ask me. Throw DeMelo, Slamberg, Heinola (helps take up the offence that leaves with Poink), Niku and many others into the pot and the stew comes out goooooood.
What would we have to add to Poink and 10th for Ekblad?

Off topic but should the Jets rotate Slamberg, Heinola and Kuli or his replacement next year behind JMo on the left side? 55 or so games each?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think the Jets should try to re-sign DeMelo and Shore. I expect them to re-sign Beaulieu, and maybe Sbisa or Kulikov, though it think those would be mistakes (unless Kulikov is very inexpensive).

I doubt they'll re-sign Letestu, but won't be surprised if the sign Bourque and Shaw (both mistakes, in my view).

Biggest mistake would be signing Eakin, considering cost and performance. I doubt they'll do it, but you never know.

Shaw's PK metrics were really good if I remember. His defensive game is solid. I'd be surprised if he doesn't come back, battling for the 13th roster spot. Especially with Lipon gone, I'd be surprised if the Jets don't want him at the very least as a vet to help the young bucks along.

Shore had a playoff as bad as Eakin, I think that probably changes his course.

Otherwise I agree.

I chose Niku, because I just have a hard time seeing the Jets keeping him, but maybe they will try to work him, and expose him in the expansion draft. He's a great passer, that might be his saving grace. Just seems like a tough fit on an already small defensive corps.

Bitetto is one, where I wonder if the Jets go back. If you signed Beaulieu to be your 3rd pairing LD, Bitetto is a similar player, replacement wise, though I think Dahlstrom makes him expendable. Dahlstrom has the potential to be a Benny like PKer, which can keep you in the bigs.

Sbisa seems more obvious to me. He didn't sign here when he could have. Tells me his wife probably isn't keen on Winnipeg.

I'm surprised so many people said Little. Even if Little doesn't play, I still see him being around the team. He's such a well respected player, except by maybe Laine.

Perreault's the hardest for me to judge. How much do Maurice and True North like him, because he's clearly receding quick.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
IMO there isn't much reason to retain any of the general vet scrubs (Bourque, Shaw, Shore, etc.) but chances are Chevy won't let them all go. Maybe Shore stays because he's a centre?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Both sides reported recently that they haven't even really talked about it yet - which doesn't make much sense to me if one or both parties are interested in an extension here.

The Jets should be ALL OVER this: a decent, not-too-expensive RD? Signing this guy should be a high priority - the fact that nothing's been done up to this point seems to indicate that it's not.
Doesn't seem too unusual. The exit meetings only ended a week ago. At this point all that needs to be said is we like what you brought to the team and we are interested in further discussions. The UFA and Trading season is almost 2 months away and there have been next to no UFA/RFA signings across the league. Chevy should be having discussions with GMs about what might be available on the trade market with our extra cap space and see if he can get a RHD a little higher up the ladder. There is plenty of time to sign DeMelo if he turns out to be the best option.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think they might try and keep DeMelo. The rest I dont see sticking around. Maybe Brossoit but I feel like he will want more of a shot on a team looking for a starter. Plus I wouldnt mind bringing in Berdin for backup spot duty.

I don't think Brossoit's resume will earn him a shot at a starting job anywhere.
27 YO. 68 NHL games, .906 sv%. JMO but I think he has established himself as a career backup. I hope we keep him. Berdin is not ready. Comrie is not able.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Could be a lot gm/player speak. Chevy never really lets us know how negotiations are going. Plus as mentioned in another thread I have a sneaky suspicion he may have something lined up for a better RD to play with Morrissey.

:laugh: That's what I'm afraid of.

Who might that better D man be?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Regardless of where DeMelo signs or for how much, I'll post 'something unflattering' if Chevy's solution is Hamonic at any price.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
IMO there isn't much reason to retain any of the general vet scrubs (Bourque, Shaw, Shore, etc.) but chances are Chevy won't let them all go. Maybe Shore stays because he's a centre?

There are several reasons for keeping some of those players. The 4th line is 3 right there. 13th F is another. 2LD insurance in case Samberg is not ready. 3 LD if he is. 7th and 8th D are 2 more. That's 8 reasons. :)

Reactions: jetsforever

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Doesn't seem too unusual. The exit meetings only ended a week ago. At this point all that needs to be said is we like what you brought to the team and we are interested in further discussions. The UFA and Trading season is almost 2 months away and there have been next to no UFA/RFA signings across the league. Chevy should be having discussions with GMs about what might be available on the trade market with our extra cap space and see if he can get a RHD a little higher up the ladder. There is plenty of time to sign DeMelo if he turns out to be the best option.

"There is plenty of time to sign DeMelo if he turns out to be the best option", until he signs somewhere else.

I don't think there is a better option. All things considered. I want to see this done so we can move on to other issues.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
I thought Eakin was pretty decent and he seemed happy to get ice time with some good players :dunno:

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I would be fine with Eakin for 1 mill on the 4th line honestly.

Shaw, Bourque, Letestu are all absolutely useless. I don't see any of them being an upgrade over Eakin besides maybe grit/60

Reactions: GaryPoppins

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
"There is plenty of time to sign DeMelo if he turns out to be the best option", until he signs somewhere else.

I don't think there is a better option. All things considered. I want to see this done so we can move on to other issues.
Well he can’t sign anywhere else until the UFA signing period after the playoffs. Chevy can be working on multiple tracks and we won’t know until something happens. But again no trades will be finalized until after the playoffs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah maybe it's just the usual circumspection...but there are lots of holes to fill, and DeMelo is right there, regardless of who Chevy can find on the UFA or trade markets.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Regardless of where DeMelo signs or for how much, I'll post 'something unflattering' if Chevy's solution is Hamonic at any price.

I see no need for conditional statements. I will just post something unflattering about Chevy. :nod:

I will honestly be gobsmacked if DeMelo re-signs before he hits UFA status. That would be crazy for a guy that basically has had a cup of coffee with the Jets. It's not like he's been here from the start of his career and developed a sense of... well, loyalty is probably not the right word but you get my drift. Why give up on your first chance at Overpay Frenzy day for a team that means little to you? And has anyone asked the question, why was one of the worst teams in the league seemingly uninterested in re-signing DeMelo? Is this guy really the bee's knees that some are making him out to be?

I'm not going to get my wife's panties in a bunch if he moves on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad