Which is the most IMPORTANT player to his team?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Ok, so this is not a discussion on who is the best player, but a player who is most important to his team. Basically, I he would be removed/injured, his team would lose a lot more games.
by this definition it won't be a player from a bottom feeder team.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
best for draiseitl would be to sign on another team and become the captain/franchise guy... he is in danger to get the same path as malkin in pit. he is simply to good to be viewed as #2
The path to a Hart trophy and three cups? That's a decent path to be on. He already has the Hart.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The generic answer is: the goalie.

Which is funny, because a lot pf people seem to treat the position as "not really part of the team".

You see a lot of comments like "the team played well, but the goalie lost it for us", as though the goalie was an outsider like the refs.

Pataatti

Jul 5, 2014
I think Carey Price might be a good option here. There's some other changes too, but a Stanley Cup Finalist went to bottom-4 team without Price. Yeah sure they were 18th overall last season in regular season. Still more than a bit better than this current .300.
Maybe they dropped because they don't have Kotkaniemi anymore :sarcasm:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Most obvious:

Edmonton - McDavid
Toronto - Matthews
Boston - Bergeron
Dallas - Heiskanen
Capitals - Ovechkin
Winnipeg - Helleybuck
Nashville - Saros
Rangers - Fox

Theese are players that are extremely important to their teams and could be the factor beeing a playoff-team or not.Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Colorado have enough depth so 1 players doesnt keep them outta playoffs.

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
it's not just about the saves. Montreal defense is / was build to be effective with Price in net. Chariot, Edmunston, Weber and now Savard all have qualities but neither have good puck retriving speed. They are effective in front of Price because he's a 3rd defenseman back there.

Allen could have the same save % as Price, he would still lose more game than Price behind that Montreal team.

In fact Allen was .907 last year with a 11-12-0-5.
Price was .901 with a 12-7-0-5.

That is how important he is, even putting a better save % is not enough to replace him.

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I feel like McDavid/Drai share the title of "most important player". If either one of them falls, the Oilers might be in deep troubles. But, they have better depth than before so maybe the Oilers could survive like the Pens when one of Crosby/Malkin falls.

Amongst goalie, I believe it's clearly Carey Price. Not just for stopping pucks, but he's montreal's best puck moving defenseman (and I'm dead serious). He's the one through which zone exits are the best executed on the team.

Amongst defensemen, I'd pick Josi; if he falls, the Preds are probably in deep trouble.

Caps are probably last in their division without Ovechkin.

Right now I agree because of injuries, Ovechkin is probably the most important to his team.

Though I doubt it once the roster if fully healthy, Backstrom/Oshie/Mantha/Kuzny/Wilson are an excellent top 6 to begin with.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
the answer is the primary goalie for each team. the next answer if you were hoping for something more specific is whoever has the highest ATOI

Thats absolutely not true.
Dallas most valuable player is not their goalie, so is the Isles or Colorado or Edmonton's goalies. Heck, even on Tampa I doubt that Vasilevskyi is the most important to his team, if they were healthy.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Thats absolutely not true.
Dallas most valuable player is not their goalie, so is the Isles or Colorado or Edmonton's goalies. Heck, even on Tampa I doubt that Vasilevskyi is the most important to his team, if they were healthy.

Only teams where the goalies are super important are Jets, Canadiens and Predators. Rangers debatable. Tampa is so deep that one player doesnt ring the bell, so is Hurricanes, Avalanche and Panthers. I feel the most important player on ANY team, would be Carey Price.

Reactions: abo9

Mar 26, 2010
Interesting how bad Draisaitl is. That is, people here are clearly saying that you remove McDavid and Draisaitl gets absolutely nothing done.
He is the most fortunate beneficiary in the NHL having McDavid. Can you just imagine what some of these other top-tier players in the NHL would do having a McDavid hold their hand. It would be insane.

That said, the easy answer to this thread is McDavid.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Most obvious:

Edmonton - McDavid
Toronto - Matthews
Boston - Bergeron
Dallas - Heiskanen
Capitals - Ovechkin
Winnipeg - Helleybuck
Nashville - Saros
Rangers - Fox

Theese are players that are extremely important to their teams and could be the factor beeing a playoff-team or not.Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Colorado have enough depth so 1 players doesnt keep them outta playoffs.

I don't think its McDavid and Matthews tbh.
Definitely not McDavid but I'm unsure if it'd Matthews

I think if you have a 1C behind these 2 players then there's probably a more important player if injured that would hurt them.

Nurse imo if he goes down probably causes more problems for the Oilers then if McDavid goes down if Draisaitl is healthy. See His Hart season.

The Leafs have Nylander who can go to centre and a Tavares and those are both first line players.

Heck for Boston it may actually be Bergeron because of the terrible C depth for Boston. I'd say Marchand is the better player now but I'd have to agree on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad