Which is the most IMPORTANT player to his team?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
And yet this random scurb named Draisaitl leads them in points
We all know that Draisaitl wouldn't be as successful as he is if McDavid wasn't his teammate and more often than not... his linemate and 100% of the time his PP buddy.
As good as Draisaitl is... McDavid has made him great. Find me any Oiler fan that disagrees with that. If push came to shove, all Oiler fans would rather see Draisaitl leave the team rather than McDavid.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
We all know that Draisaitl wouldn't be as successful as he is if McDavid wasn't his teammate and more often than not... his linemate and 100% of the time his PP buddy.
As good as Draisaitl is... McDavid has made him great. Find me any Oiler fan that disagrees with that. If push came to shove, all Oiler fans would rather see Draisaitl leave the team rather than McDavid.
There is no way that you actually still believe this

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
There is no way that you actually still believe this
Yeah... I believe that Draisaitl is very good and that McDavid has made him great. No great surprise. Happens in hockey all the time. Its a team game.

Also.. what are your thoughts on my statement: " If push came to shove, all Oiler fans would rather see Draisaitl leave the team rather than McDavid."

True? False?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah... I believe that Draisaitl is very good and that McDavid has made him great. No great surprise. Happens in hockey all the time. Its a team game.
How does someone "make" a player do the following:
  • Hart-winner
  • Ted Lindsay winner
  • ROSS winner
  • Arguably the best passer in the game
  • Score up 50 goals (only player other than OV since 2012 to do so),
  • Player who would have had 3 straight 100-point seasons if not for the shortened season last year (and would be well on his way to a 4th-straight 100-point season)
  • Player who thoroughly outplays him in the post-season every time they enter the playoffs (outside the qualifiers to which many don't even consider it)

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Also.. what are your thoughts on my statement: " If push came to shove, all Oiler fans would rather see Draisaitl leave the team rather than McDavid."

True? False?
Well that is a completely different statement than the following
We all know that Draisaitl wouldn't be as successful as he is if McDavid wasn't his teammate
As good as Draisaitl is... McDavid has made him great.
Yes, majority of Oiler fans would take McDavid over Drai, but that does not mean that Draisaitl was "made" by McDavid. The dude is legit.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Well that is a completely different statement than the following

Yes, majority of Oiler fans would take McDavid over Drai, but that does not mean that Draisaitl was "made" by McDavid. The dude is legit.
The original question is "Who is the most IMPORTANT player to his team".

I said McDavid, not Draisaitl. Am I wrong?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
The original question is "Who is the most IMPORTANT player to his team".

I said McDavid, not Draisaitl. Am I wrong?
No, you said McDavid by a landslide

It's one thing to say that it's McDavid (to which you could be right as he is essential to their success), but it is by no means by a landslide considering how much of their offense comes through 2 guys. McDavid and Drai have 65 points combined so far (35 for Drai, 32 for McDavid). The Oilers have scored 68 goals. Both guys are making up about half of the offense. 30 of those 68 come from both Drai and McD together. Almost 1/2 of the goals come 2 guys LOL

How is it a landslide?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
No, you said McDavid by a landslide

It's one thing to say that it's McDavid (to which you could be right as he is essential to their success), but it is by no means by a landslide considering how much of their offense comes through 2 guys. McDavid and Drai have 65 points combined so far (35 for Drai, 32 for McDavid). The Oilers have scored 68 goals. Both guys are making up about half of the offense. 30 of those 68 come from both Drai and McD together. Almost 1/2 of the goals come 2 guys LOL

How is it a landslide?
When I said landslide, I meant in comparison to all other team's MVP... not the difference between McDavid and Draisaitl.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
When I said landslide, I meant in comparison to all other team's MVP... not the difference between McDavid and Draisaitl.
Well it doesn’t really make sense since Draisaitl is also in the MVP race, so when you said that, Drai would be included in the landslide

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
I don't think it's McDavid when they also have arguably the 2nd best player in the world too. It's gotta be a goaltender in my opinion.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
best for draiseitl would be to sign on another team and become the captain/franchise guy... he is in danger to get the same path as malkin in pit. he is simply to good to be viewed as #2

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
You can have a below average team and win a cup if your goalie is Hasek. Goal-tending AINEC
Can't win if you can't score a goal.

*Oh I completely misunderstood your question :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:Thought you meant which position. Maybe idea for off-season thread but point stands.:thumbu::cool:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
For Vancouver, surprisingly I'd say Nils Hoglander (honorary mention Oliver Ekman-Larsson). The Canucks' scoring has been flatter than a tire with a nail in it, and without Hog there's been no offense lately (there's rumors about Miller/ Boeser trades, Horvat's seen some doubters, Petey's probably recovering from injury, Garland is like a right-handed Hoglander but he's gone cold offensively; Podkolzin's sample size is too small, and the other guys are just depth). Without OEL this team's basically a sieve, he brings the only semblance of stability on the back end (Hughes has been good too but still makes mistakes). Would've said Demko but he can't stop everything (doesn't quite have Markstrom's impact from seasons past IMO).

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Bias, blah..... this is also easily ovi. Caps are running with 5-7 rookies a night and no number 1 goalie. Backstrom, oshie, mantha, Eller out. Ovi is having mvp season so far regardless of what the 2 Oilers do.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I think Carey Price might be a good option here. There's some other changes too, but a Stanley Cup Finalist went to bottom-4 team without Price. Yeah sure they were 18th overall last season in regular season. Still more than a bit better than this current .300.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I think Carey Price might be a good option here. There's some other changes too, but a Stanley Cup Finalist went to bottom-4 team without Price. Yeah sure they were 18th overall last season in regular season. Still more than a bit better than this current .300.
Also lost Danault and Weber, so hard to put it all on Price imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad