Which Habs Forward will be Waived or Traded when all players are healthy?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If I'm Romanov, I stay in Russia until Julien and MB are fired. The way they handled one of the best Habs in the modern era in Markov, Rads leaving, they could have protected Emelin over Benn since it's not like we needed cap space, Galchenyuk playing on the 4th line and with DLR at other times. Now Scherbak should be on his way out. Guess it's all coincidence.

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
In regard to prospects, the great Bill Walsh said:

“Take a group of ten players. The top two will be super-motivated. Superstars will usually take care of themselves. Anybody can coach them. The next four, with the right motivation and direction, will learn to perform up to their potential. The next two will be marginal. With constant attention, they will be able to accomplish something of value to the team. The last two will waste your time. They won’t be with you for long. Our goal is to focus our organizational detail and coaching on the middle six. They are the ones who most need and benefit from your direction, monitoring, and counsel.”

If we can apply this theorem to the NHL, Scherbak is likely one of the middle six Walsh talked about. I believe the Habs expected him to win a spot on the top 3 lines, but his poor showing in the pre-season put him in limbo. Injuries have allowed Montreal to keep him on the roster while they explore options but time is running out.

Do the Habs risk exposing him to waivers with the hope he'll go unclaimed so Bouchard can put his imprint on the enigmatic forward? Or do they give up on the kid and take whatever they can get for him?

Tough call.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
In regard to prospects, the great Bill Walsh said:

“Take a group of ten players. The top two will be super-motivated. Superstars will usually take care of themselves. Anybody can coach them. The next four, with the right motivation and direction, will learn to perform up to their potential. The next two will be marginal. With constant attention, they will be able to accomplish something of value to the team. The last two will waste your time. They won’t be with you for long. Our goal is to focus our organizational detail and coaching on the middle six. They are the ones who most need and benefit from your direction, monitoring, and counsel.”

If we can apply this theorem to the NHL, Scherbak is likely one of the middle six Walsh talked about. I believe the Habs expected him to win a spot on the top 3 lines, but his poor showing in the pre-season put him in limbo. Injuries have allowed Montreal to keep him on the roster while they explore options but time is running out.

Do the Habs risk exposing him to waivers with the hope he'll go unclaimed so Bouchard can put his imprint on the enigmatic forward? Or do they give up on the kid and take whatever they can get for him?

Tough call.
I don't believe they were invested in him winning a spot no the top 3 lines...if they were, he would of gotten a shot at training camp with a center not named Tomas Plekanec or Matthew Peca.

They were however, invested in Kotkaniemi winning a spot on the top 3 lines at camp, they played him with Drouin, Lehkonen or Armia (rightfully so mind you).

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
For me its simple
Kotkaniemi should be sent back after 9 games for the only reason that Julien have no idea to do with him. Id rather see him with Joel Bouchard for a year.

The next on the list should be Shaw traded and Plekanec Waived. Leaving 13th forward and rotating , put Armia on a 4th line because hes terrible and give a chance to Scherbak , if not working , trade him.

Or at limit , trade Hudon hes flat.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If they keep Kotka then Pleks has to go to Laval as I'd rather see what Peca can do vs what I know Pleks will do. Have been saying they will trade Scherbak at some point cause I don't think they will risk waivers but I'd like to see them trade Shaw at some point and retain 50% if they can get something decent for him like a 2nd and maybe a B prospect if we retain.

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
I don't believe they were invested in him winning a spot no the top 3 lines...if they were, he would of gotten a shot at training camp with a center not named Tomas Plekanec or Matthew Peca.

They were however, invested in Kotkaniemi winning a spot on the top 3 lines at camp, they played him with Drouin, Lehkonen or Armia (rightfully so mind you).

I still believe the Habs expected Nikita to challenge for a spot on the top three lines (Shaw's?); but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I suspect that it's a tough decision for management and it comes down to what they see as Scherbak's ceiling. Are they willing to gamble on him going unclaimed so Bouchard can try to unlock his potential? Or have they given up on the kid and will deal him as soon as they can work a deal?

I would like to see the team find a way to sneak him to Laval and Bouchard. But that seems like a long shot. DLR would likely clear waivers, but that won't give Scherbak any more playing time. Most likely they end up trading him for a draft pick.

Reactions: 417

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
For me its simple
Kotkaniemi should be sent back after 9 games for the only reason that Julien have no idea to do with him. Id rather see him with Joel Bouchard for a year.

The next on the list should be Shaw traded and Plekanec Waived. Leaving 13th forward and rotating , put Armia on a 4th line because hes terrible and give a chance to Scherbak , if not working , trade him.

Or at limit , trade Hudon hes flat.

You're the only one who think that Hudon is flat.....He could get 40 points this year on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pretty simple...3 roster spots and 4 players competing for them.

Who stays, who gets waived?

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Hudon-xxxxx-Shaw
Xxxxx-xxxxx

I think those 11 are firmly entrenched...

Who between Plekanec, Peca, Scherbak and Deslauriers gets waived or traded?

Reactions: Runner77

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Pretty simple...3 roster spots and 4 players competing for them.

Who stays, who gets waived?

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Hudon-xxxxx-Shaw
Xxxxx-xxxxx

I think those 11 are firmly entrenched...

Who between Plekanec, Peca, Scherbak and Deslauriers gets waived or traded?

It's too bad that Shaw being traded isn't a likely option. I don't even hate him. This is where the Pleks signing ticks me off. We shouldn't be trading Scherbak before we can see what he can do but it's likely that is what's going to happen.

Reactions: 417

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
It's too bad that Shaw being traded isn't a likely option. I don't even hate him. This is where the Pleks signing ticks me off. We shouldn't be trading Scherbak before we can see what he can do but it's likely that is what's going to happen.
We saw exactly what he can do, not very much.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Waive Plekanec, it's that simple. Let's not get all emotional and make stupid decisions. I think this should have already been done with DLR. D-Lo has more value in being kept (he could be a solid asset for the POs) IMO.

Plekanec brings expertise but I bet he'd clear waivers due to his salary. There is no reason for this team to keep a declining asset over good role players or young players with upside that haven't been given real opportunities in the past.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Plekanec - experience
Peca - speed
Scherbak - talent
Deslauriers - toughness

What matters most for a depth forward?

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think DLo-Peca-Shaw/Scherbak should be our 4th line. People who want to waive Peca are crazy IMO, he creates a few scoring chances every game with his speed and he's made some surprisingly creative plays

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Waive Plekanec, it's that simple. Let's not get all emotional and make stupid decisions. I think this should have already been done with DLR. D-Lo has more value in being kept (he could be a solid asset for the POs) IMO.

Plekanec brings expertise but I bet he'd clear waivers due to his salary. There is no reason for this team to keep a declining asset over good role players or young players with upside that haven't been given real opportunities in the past.

Disagree
Plekanec has much more trade value than Deslaurier, and Plekanec would be much more valuable for a playoff run

Deslaurier is 27 and I don't see much upside if any
I don't really care either way who gets traded, but I fully expect it to be D-lo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad