Which GM Do You Take Today? Sather, Uncle Lou or Garth Snow?

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Snow would be regarded as a much better GM if he hadn't made the Vanek trade, had found a better return for Nino than Clutterbuck and the DiPietro contract. DiPietro is not even his fault because Wang was probably the one that negotiated that one. Regardless though he has built a contender with a limited budget, he has drafted very well and he has been absolutely amazing at selling his players on accepting reasonable contracts.

Actually I will take Snow, I might be the only non-Isles fan to do so but I would feel comfortable with him as GM.

This is exactly how I feel. I liked Snow a lot and fully supported the rebuild and his terrific drafting up until the Nino trade. IMO he had no excuse not to at least acquire a goalie last season.
However he has redeem himself with Pulock, Ho Sang and MDC. And altbough Halak, Boychuk, and Leddy are solid moves Grabovski and Kulemin need to produce more offense.
All said I give Snow a B+ and choose him over Sather and Lou.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
The excuses for Twin Blades aka Lou are pathetic.

His scouting staff has done a horrible job, an absolutely horrible job at drafting forwards. The team is going to suffer for years and years now due to this.

Tired of hearing how it's all Vanderbeek's fault that he cannot manage a team properly. Where's the responsibility?

He's been lousy. Hopefully he is gone by the end of the season and leaves on a better note than his good friend Brodeur.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
The excuses for Twin Blades aka Lou are pathetic.

His scouting staff has done a horrible job, an absolutely horrible job at drafting forwards. The team is going to suffer for years and years now due to this.

Tired of hearing how it's all Vanderbeek's fault that he cannot manage a team properly. Where's the responsibility?

He's been lousy. Hopefully he is gone by the end of the season and leaves on a better note than his good friend Brodeur.
In his defense they had not had too many high picks in recent years.
Its impossible to defend Larsson but for some strange reason every scout and GM loved him.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Snow slightly before Sather, and both well ahead of Lou Lamoriello, who I think needs to retire soon. Snow has had to build the Islanders largely through the draft, and many of those draft picks are now on the roster. He has also hit some gold on the waiver wire as well (i.e., Hickey and Grabner) and has put himself in a position to pounce on other teams' cap problems (i.e., Leddy and Boychuk). The problem is that the Islanders have been near the floor.

With the Rangers, Sather's biggest problem has been free agent signings...however, he has rarely lost a trade in the cap-era NHL...and each season, at least one prospect has made the team or been called up early and be a key contributor.

Lou though...he has drafted good on defense, but he has done little to improve the offense which is aging, and he really should have bought out Bryce Salvador.

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
I think most people who have been most critical of Garth snow simply don't have any foresight. The dude has scrapped together a pretty elite squad and has the perfect amount of cap space to re-sign all the key players who's contracts will soon be expiring for long term contracts (Okposo, Nelson, strome).

He's signed top teir talent to low contracts. Drafted well. And made great pickups. Kept the payroll low so the cap isn't an issue. The only thing going against the guy is the Nino and second Vanek trade.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Sather. Lou has had the best career of the 3 as a GM, but Sather is probably the best right now. Lou has made some awful decisions in the past few years, and Snow was a terrible GM up until this past year.

How has Lou had the best career?

Sather was the GM/coach and architect behind the oilers of the 80s...

No offense to Lou, but I think Sather takes the cake.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
sather because he knows the meaning of youth and he doesnt throw 1st rounders out the window

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
its a misconception, but Snow was not the one who gave DO his contract. It was ****stain Wang. All his doing. But as well as Garth has done this year he still has a long way to go to catch up to two Stanley Cup winning Gm's.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
For where the islanders are now, it's not hard to draft some talent when you have a top five pick every year for a decade. It would actually be kind of hard not to draft some talent after doing that.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
For where the islanders are now, it's not hard to draft some talent when you have a top five pick every year for a decade. It would actually be kind of hard not to draft some talent after doing that.

The Islanders and Rangers have done a better job in the later rounds than the Devils.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
^ Fortunate? Devils have never replaced that offense. Would probably be a whole different story if they still had him.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Islanders success right now has little to do with top 5 picks.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
^ Fortunate? Devils have never replaced that offense. Would probably be a whole different story if they still had him.

In the short-term, yes. But a horrible move from a financial perspective. It was really going to devastate them in the not-so-distant future.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd go with Snow.

He gets re-signed players on great contracts and the Islanders' drafting/development seems to be great right now.

Yeah, he's made some mistakes, but for the most part, I'd say he's good at his job.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Not to defend the DP contract, which was only stupid because it was risky, but imagine if DP never got hurt. Isles would have a goalie at a $4M salary and cap hit, well below market price. They were a cash poor team at the time, trying to lock up their star goalie with a cap friendly contract. Nice idea, but they got burned when he got hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad