Speculation: Which F's make the roster out of camp?

PIck 3 players who will make the team out of camp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Agreed although I bet Dubi rotates in for matchups, etc.

Following up on this... not only do I think Dubi rotates in for Bemstrom and Milano on the fourth line on a regulafr basis for matchups etc., but I think he's also a hedge against Wennberg not being what he needs to be.

Dubi might be the 13th F out of camp but he will play plenty if he's not hurt.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Is Lilja waivers exempt? CapFriendly apparently disagrees with some local reporters on this.

Texier-PLD-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Jenner-Anderson
???-???-???

With who's left, they're clearly taking a look at a more skilled or more balanced 4th line. If they wanted a grinding line, they'd have kept Robinson and/or Hannikainen around. So maybe it is the practice line of Milano-Nash-Bemstrom. That line would play some sheltered minutes and we'd probably see Torts lean on his 1st and 3rd lines in the defensive zone. Dubi obviously the 13th F who would jump in as soon as Torts gets fed up with Wennberg or Nash continues his drought. If those are the 13, I wouldn't be surprised to see Dubi play 55+ games still.

Or maybe Dano has rediscovered his game and they can trust him more, in which case it's Dano-Dubinsky-Nash and Milano as the extra F?

Bemstrom apparently has an NHL out clause in his Sweden contract, so he can't go to the AHL. That, plus his shot, has me leaning towards him making the team, even if he does end up being a healthy scratch at times. He's probably worth the risk of putting Dano and/or Lilja on waivers (still unclear on if Lilja requires waivers).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been trying to game out Milano's chances of getting through waivers, and frankly it's hard tellin'.

There hasn't been a single waiver claim so far this Fall. Hannikainen and Clendening just sailed through, and no one has been picked up from any other team either. Milano is a more intriguing talent than anyone else passing through, he's far more likely to be picked up. But the timing in pushing someone through waivers is important. You'd think Edmonton would claim him - Lucic had 6 goals last year and that was 6th among Edmonton forwards! But they also added half a dozen depth forwards this Fall in the hope that some of them will surprise, and they'll want to give their new guys a shot first. It seems likely that once the season starts there will inevitably be at least one team disappointed in its depth forwards. So if you want to sneak Milano through, do it now, in the season of hope.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I agree with major. I think it would be possible to send him down without him being claimed. On the other hand we need scoring and if he can't bring that along with responsible play away from the puck then let him go. I'd prefer he stay up and be given a fair chance to establish his role or be sent down with the intent that he is gone after this year.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I like Torts but wonder if guys under him just can't relax and play the game of hockey. One misstep and to the doghouse you go. I'm sure he does teach in those moments but if he comes at you like your some sort of cretin it's hard to focus and have any fun.
I get that it's the coaches job to win but if you can't bring kids along without them fearing that coach will air out (see crappy pants episode) all your faults and fouls is he really the guy you want? I don't know if Milano is a nice kid or a turd who refuses to work on his two way game but he probably feels like a yoyo as much as he is back and forth.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Valid point but I don't like Torts because he fails to make adjustments when the other team does, both Washington last year and Boston this year changed up their games going into game 4 and he failed to adapt, losing the next three games both times.

The Land 216

Mar 16, 2019
Well Dubi got hurt and will miss start of season. I bet this lets sonny and Dano make the team now. Might get an LTIR. Jarmo didn’t rule it out today

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not a big fan of Milano. Saying that, Sonny has played well enough in preseason that I think he should make the team. And although he may get the opportunity now he's running out of chances on this team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
After the Dubi news, and after seeing Dano continue to struggle, I think it's a good bet that Milano and Lilja are making the opening roster. Lilja didn't do much this game, he's mostly a neutral-responsible type. But that's a lot better than Dano.

Probably the 4th will be Milano/Lilja - Nash - Bemstrom.

Reactions: Palm Tree

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Yeah it sure seems like the lines are mostly set for game one. We may see the 13th forward swap in, but it looks like tomorrow’s lineup is mostly what we will see. It seems like Dano will be the last cut, and Lilja is currently in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad