Speculation: Which F's make the roster out of camp?

PIck 3 players who will make the team out of camp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Surprised by all the Hannikainen and Milano votes. Also, I'm not surprised.

Hannikainen may be the only person I'd rather see Milano get playing time over.

I vote Bemstrom-Dano-Robinson-Dalpe, in that order.

It's a prediction thread, didn't ask for opinions. In other words, I voted for who I think will make the roster, not who I hope makes the roster.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Foligno and Tex are really the key here. Tex could over take Wennberg as 2C. Torts said he'd consider playing Foligno on the first line, which means that 4LW is open - hinting towards Robinson or Hannikainen. But if Foligno or Jenner get shifted down to that 4th line, then that opens up a spot higher up for Bemstrom or Milano.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Any chance Kole Sherwood could make it?

There was an Athletic article yesterday that made it seem like he had an okay shot. Personally, I’m just not seeing it (at least for opening night). We basically have 12 roster locks, and he’s competing with about 6 guys for the final 1-2 spots, some of whom are no longer waiver-exempt and most/all of whom are in my opinion better right now.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Well, I believe the poll should be closed by now but it apparently will let me change my vote so who knows.?

Anyways it looks like Bemstrom & either Sonny or Beerman will be the other in our collective wisdom. I have a sneaky suspicion that Bemstrom won't make it due to lack of hype lately. I think TFW has a better chance than we gave him. Time will tell.

Reactions: majormajor

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Well, I believe the poll should be closed by now but it apparently will let me change my vote so who knows.?

Anyways it looks like Bemstrom & either Sonny or Beerman will be the other in our collective wisdom. I have a sneaky suspicion that Bemstrom won't make it due to lack of hype lately. I think TFW has a better chance than we gave him. Time will tell.

I went Saturday for only a couple hours (and was talking with my dad so only half paying attention) but didn’t notice Bemstrom at all. TFW was way more noticeable. Was only a couple hours at a practice, but kinda interesting.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think Sherwood has a bigger chance of seeing NHL time than people may think. I watched most of all the CBJ games LAST year in Traverse City and he looked like 1 of the best players on the ice for each team most of the time.

He's not flashy, and I don't see any high end/2nd line potential, but I see a clear comparison of his game to that of Hartnell. The willingness, grittiness, and legit scoring touch he has around the net could make him a better fit than others to play on a 4th line that could be used in a more stereotypical 4th line roll.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I see Jarmo putting his finger on the scales in favor of Bemstrom. After how much he has talked about Bemstrom I think Jarmo's heart would be broken if the only way he could see Bemstrom this coming year is thru some feeder stream for the Swedish League.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I see Jarmo putting his finger on the scales in favor of Bemstrom. After how much he has talked about Bemstrom I think Jarmo's heart would be broken if the only way he could see Bemstrom this coming year is thru some feeder stream for the Swedish League.
I think that presumes particular favoritism on the part of Kekalainen that largely isn't there. He talked the same way about Davidsson, for example.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think that presumes particular favoritism on the part of Kekalainen that largely isn't there. He talked the same way about Davidsson, for example.

Ole EDM here ALSO spoke the same exact way about Davidsson/Kekalainen and the team that he is about Bemstrom/Kek and the team, currently.

I may have been a bit too high on Davidsson at one time, but, Bemstrom is clearly a much more gifted offensive player.

And to add, what is up with people being AGAINST having confidence in ANYTHING CBJ related, whether coming from coaches, management, players, or fans?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Only one spot for all of Bemstrom, Milano, Fixy, and Sherwood? All these kids look great.

I was initially pretty sure Hannikainen was a lock but I'm not so sure now that he won't get sent down to make room for the kids.

I got a feeling that Milano - Nash - Bemstrom could be a legit 4th line for us. Fixy and Sherwood of course have a chance to get called up later, while the other two can't be sent to Cleveland. (Milano would be claimed no doubt)

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Sherwood has a bigger chance of seeing NHL time than people may think. I watched most of all the CBJ games LAST year in Traverse City and he looked like 1 of the best players on the ice for each team most of the time.

He's not flashy, and I don't see any high end/2nd line potential, but I see a clear comparison of his game to that of Hartnell. The willingness, grittiness, and legit scoring touch he has around the net could make him a better fit than others to play on a 4th line that could be used in a more stereotypical 4th line roll.

Allright Bus, it looks like you were right about the Hartnell comparison. I thought Sherwood would grow into a grittier playstyle, but I didn't think he would be a Hartnell type. After seeing him tonight he looks a lot like Hartnell. The extra ten pounds of fat probably did the trick.

:laugh:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I saw Sherwood do three impressive things tonight:

He sniped a goal, he ran over guys, and he broke up plays on the PK. He looked like he had real PK skill.

Also, in his interview (after the F-bomb), Kole said he wanted to play a real "4th line type of game". He knows his audience!

Reactions: Howard35 and CPTN71

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I say it now . There is no way that Bemstrom or Texier doesn’t make the team . Bemstrom was much more than that Ovie shot , Milano and Sherwood should as well if Torts and the front office are true to their words that the best will make the team . Milano, has been noticeable every day of camp .

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I know Bemstrom is leading the poll, but it's looking like he may be the odd man out barring injuries.

Texier-Dubois-Atkinson -> Texier has gotten the most run in camp on the top line left wing, despite the early reports of Torts considering Foligno there.
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand -> Barring unforeseen developments, this line appears locked in as a middle 6 line.
Foligno-Jenner-Anderson -> A line Torts loved a lot last year and they seem like they could be reunited.
Which leaves ???? - Dubinsky - Nash -> Probably Hannikainen or Robinson unless the coaches buy Milano's supposed new found physicality.

Unless the coaches are going to bench a vet or two or put one of Foligno/Jenner on the 4th line, I see an uphill battle for Bemstrom to make the starting lineup Night #1.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I mean, other than faceoffs, "veteran presence", and maybe PK, does Dubi really offer anything that any of the bubble guys don't? At this point, my ideal lineup is:

Tex-Dubois-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom-Jenner-Anderson
Foligno-Nash-Milano
Hanni/Dubi

All 4 of those lines offer a different kind of threat. That 4th line would be fast and physical enough for a 4th line, and it would still pack a scoring punch. That's ideal, rather than just dumping players who aren't good enough to play up to their contract values there.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think there's any problem with a Milano - Nash - Bemstrom 4th line, provided they get a solid 10 mins at evens. Bemstrom gets top PP minutes so his TOI will be fine, and all those guys can pass the puck and make plays. And the idea that the 4th line should be the tough line is outdated. If our other lines were soft I'd understand but we've got plenty of tough players on other lines.

I mean, other than faceoffs, "veteran presence", and maybe PK, does Dubi really offer anything that any of the bubble guys don't? At this point, my ideal lineup is:

Tex-Dubois-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom-Jenner-Anderson
Foligno-Nash-Milano
Hanni/Dubi

All 4 of those lines offer a different kind of threat. That 4th line would be fast and physical enough for a 4th line, and it would still pack a scoring punch. That's ideal, rather than just dumping players who aren't good enough to play up to their contract values there.

Ideally Dubi and Hanni mostly just sit in the pressbox. But we've only got 13F if there are 8D, and Dubi can't be sent down because of that damned NMC.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I don't think there's any problem with a Milano - Nash - Bemstrom 4th line, provided they get a solid 10 mins at evens. Bemstrom gets top PP minutes so his TOI will be fine, and all those guys can pass the puck and make plays. And the idea that the 4th line should be the tough line is outdated. If our other lines were soft I'd understand but we've got plenty of tough players on other lines.

Ideally Dubi and Hanni mostly just sit in the pressbox. But we've only got 13F if there are 8D, and Dubi can't be sent down because of that damned NMC.
Damn yeah, that is true. Then maybe there is a trade brewing after all... :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad