Speculation: Which F's make the roster out of camp?

PIck 3 players who will make the team out of camp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Only one spot for all of Bemstrom, Milano, Fixy, and Sherwood? All these kids look great.

I was initially pretty sure Hannikainen was a lock but I'm not so sure now that he won't get sent down to make room for the kids.

I got a feeling that Milano - Nash - Bemstrom could be a legit 4th line for us. Fixy and Sherwood of course have a chance to get called up later, while the other two can't be sent to Cleveland. (Milano would be claimed no doubt)

I think there are 2 spots for those 4. If you're sill counting Hanni then yeah only 1 but I agree he is not a lock.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Who'da thunk after all the high profile superstar departures, they still have a logjam of forwards competing for spots. Pretty neat!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Only one spot for all of Bemstrom, Milano, Fixy, and Sherwood? All these kids look great.

I was initially pretty sure Hannikainen was a lock but I'm not so sure now that he won't get sent down to make room for the kids.

I got a feeling that Milano - Nash - Bemstrom could be a legit 4th line for us. Fixy and Sherwood of course have a chance to get called up later, while the other two can't be sent to Cleveland. (Milano would be claimed no doubt)

Yeah agreed. I think Hannikainen is on the outs as of right now.

I still don't think Bemstrom makes the team. It would be nice to have, but I don't see him playing 4th line ice time (with PP time), that's just not how I'd go about developing him. I think TFW will also start in Cleveland and maybe be the first call up. If Sherwood plays with his physical edge all camp/preseason that he played with last night he might be the 4th line winger. Milano also has his hat in the ring, and given how he's waiver eligible, I think he'll make the team at minimum as the extra F.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I know Bemstrom is leading the poll, but it's looking like he may be the odd man out barring injuries.

Texier-Dubois-Atkinson -> Texier has gotten the most run in camp on the top line left wing, despite the early reports of Torts considering Foligno there.
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand -> Barring unforeseen developments, this line appears locked in as a middle 6 line.
Foligno-Jenner-Anderson -> A line Torts loved a lot last year and they seem like they could be reunited.
Which leaves ???? - Dubinsky - Nash -> Probably Hannikainen or Robinson unless the coaches buy Milano's supposed new found physicality.

Unless the coaches are going to bench a vet or two or put one of Foligno/Jenner on the 4th line, I see an uphill battle for Bemstrom to make the starting lineup Night #1.
Your insane , he looked every bit as impressive as Texier , and has a shot like no one else on this team. Load him up on the powerplay , and it will create a ton of space for others as well . Hani is probably trade bait or maybe a waiver casualty with what Sherwood has shown . Dubinsky will ride the pine for long stretches .

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Your insane , he looked every bit as impressive as Texier , and has a shot like no one else on this team. Load him up on the powerplay , and it will create a ton of space for others as well . Hani is probably trade bait or maybe a waiver casualty with what Sherwood has shown . Dubinsky will ride the pine for long stretches .

But where do you put him? (Bemstrom) With Texier a lock, our LW/C is pretty much set in stone.

Texier-Dubois-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Anderson
Foligno-Jenner-Bjorkstrand
Dubinsky-Nash-Sherwood
Milano

You can put Bemstrom on line 3 and move Foligno to 4th line, but that's an expensive 4th line, and Foligno is better than a 4th line player so I'm not sure how he'd react to that. You could put Bemstrom on line 4, but that stunts his growth with less than 10 minutes of ice time per game (we know how Torts uses the fourth line sparingly).

I just don't see it, unless he completely blows away at camp. His shot is lethal and could be useful on the PP, but I think the rest of his game could use some more seasoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: EspenK

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I mean, other than faceoffs, "veteran presence", and maybe PK, does Dubi really offer anything that any of the bubble guys don't? At this point, my ideal lineup is:

Tex-Dubois-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom-Jenner-Anderson
Foligno-Nash-Milano
Hanni/Dubi

All 4 of those lines offer a different kind of threat. That 4th line would be fast and physical enough for a 4th line, and it would still pack a scoring punch. That's ideal, rather than just dumping players who aren't good enough to play up to their contract values there.

That’s a solid lineup right there especially if Wennberg returns to be a threat , and you know Nash is going to have a much better season this year . How do you replace the scoring you lost from last year , the question is asked , you roll a lineup like the above , with each line a scoring threat . At this point it’s just a matter of if Milano is traded or not . If not , he’s not getting sent down , and your 3 would be Milano , Tex, and Bem. Also , with the cap room we have , the defensive depth we have , and the way Peeke and Garikov looked last night , I wouldn’t be surprised to see a trade prior to the season . As Jarmo said going into this season , we have a lot of talent coming In

Reactions: majormajor

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

I laid out a logical argument why there may not be space for him and get called insane. Cool, cool, cool.

Do you really think Torts is gonna staple Dubi to the press box?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
But where do you put him? (Bemstrom) With Texier a lock, our LW/C is pretty much set in stone.

Texier-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Jenner-Anderson
Dubinsky-Nash-Sherwood
Milano

You can put Bemstrom on line 3 and move Foligno to 4th line, but that's an expensive 4th line, and Foligno is better than a 4th line player so I'm not sure how he'd react to that. You could put Bemstrom on line 4, but that stunts his growth with less than 10 minutes of ice time per game (we know how Torts uses the fourth line sparingly).

I just don't see it, unless he completely blows away at camp. His shot is lethal and could be useful on the PP, but I think the rest of his game could use some more seasoning.

You have Anderson twice, there's a spot right there! :D

(Pretty sure one of them is Bjork)

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
. You could put Bemstrom on line 4, but that stunts his growth with less than 10 minutes of ice time per game (we know how Torts uses the fourth line sparingly)..

If he shows that he's ready I think he'll make the team on the 4th line.

Torts' usage of 4th lines goes up and down. If he likes the line he'll play it, doesn't matter if it's the 4th. The issue at one point midway through last year was that he had a lot of laggards he didn't trust so those guys and their linemates just sat a lot. With this much pressure for spots though it's more likely we won't have laggards sitting on the bench, they'll be in the pressbox because there's plenty of good call-ups available.

The best comparison is probably Sam Gagner from 2016-17. Torts gave him 1110 minutes that year, good for 13:30 per game. That was just 4th line ice time + 1st unit PP, exactly what you'd expect for Bemstrom. And that's plenty of minutes for a rookie.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honest question, why do people think Eric Robinson has a chance to make this team? He was called up last year and then sat deep on the depth chart, never to be heard from again after the team messed up and failed to send him down at the trade deadline.

I don't think he will make the team, and I think the folks who expected him to would change their votes after watching some games and seeing that the more skilled rookies are ready to go.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If he shows that he's ready I think he'll make the team on the 4th line.

Torts' usage of 4th lines goes up and down. If he likes the line he'll play it, doesn't matter if it's the 4th. The issue at one point midway through last year was that he had a lot of laggards he didn't trust so those guys and their linemates just sat a lot. With this much pressure for spots though it's more likely we won't have laggards sitting on the bench, they'll be in the pressbox because there's plenty of good call-ups available.

The best comparison is probably Sam Gagner from 2016-17. Torts gave him 1110 minutes that year, good for 13:30 per game. That was just 4th line ice time + 1st unit PP, exactly what you'd expect for Bemstrom. And that's plenty of minutes for a rookie.

That's what we want for him? Sam Gagner? Idk.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Honest question, why do people think Eric Robinson has a chance to make this team? He was called up last year and then sat deep on the depth chart, never to be heard from again after the team messed up and failed to send him down at the trade deadline.

The reasons he could include his speed, he seemed physical when called up last year and if most of his posts had gone in he'd have had six or so goals last year. I don't expect him to make it but these are my reasons as to why he could.

Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who'da thunk after all the high profile superstar departures, they still have a logjam of forwards competing for spots. Pretty neat!

I would have thought, and said so! I'm also saying it's going to get worse (better). Right now we can with a straight face that some of these kids could benefit from another year of seasoning. But a year from now Bem, Milano, Fixy, and Sherwood will probably all need to be in the NHL. And soon after probably more than just them - some of Foudy, Marchenko, Peeke, etc... will be ready too.

It's not the greatest prospect pool but it has a lot of NHL talent, far more than we can fit with the low pace of retirements on an already young team. How many guys are slated to leave the team next year? Probably Hanni and Dubi but they're #12/#13 guys. It's going to get worse (better).

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus

Texier-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Jenner-Bjorkstrand
Dubinsky-Nash-Sherwood
Milano

It should be noted that Nyquist can play RW, and Wennberg does not need to be in the top6 if Texier or Foligno are there. 4th line could have some skill, I prefer that over “big bodies”

My ideal lineup:
Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Jenner-Anderson
Bemstrom-Texier-Bjorkstrand
Dano-Wennberg-Nash

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It should be noted that Nyquist can play RW, and Wennberg does not need to be in the top6 if Texier or Foligno are there. 4th line could have some skill, I prefer that over “big bodies”

My ideal lineup:
Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Jenner-Anderson
Dano-Wennberg-Nash

I don't get the Dano part. He's getting outshone by more skilled players.

If anyone would take him, we need to deal Foligno away.

I'll be charitable and call it a bad idea. We need his leadership, and the guy is clearly still an effective all-around player.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I mean, other than faceoffs, "veteran presence", and maybe PK, does Dubi really offer anything that any of the bubble guys don't? At this point, my ideal lineup is:

Tex-Dubois-Atkinson
Bemstrom-Jenner-Anderson
Foligno-Nash-Milano
Hanni/Dubi

All 4 of those lines offer a different kind of threat. That 4th line would be fast and physical enough for a 4th line, and it would still pack a scoring punch. That's ideal, rather than just dumping players who aren't good enough to play up to their contract values there.

Dubi shouldn’t be on this roster but he pretty much has to be (and I think it was the right call to not buy him out this year). I don’t think we can afford to have him taking up a roster spot next year. I’d be pretty surprised if he’s on this team a year from now. Too many young guys knocking at the door.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Honest question, why do people continually feel the same way about Milano or even some, Hannikainen?

And why do/did people feel Sherwood had no chance up until actually seeing him play in the 1st preseason game?

Why do people forget Dubinsky's play and impact he had just last year at the end of the year AND IN THE PLAYOFFS BEATING TAMPA...…???

CBJ would be better off trading Wennberg and Milano for a 3rd round pick instead of you guys penciling them in all over your lineups, essentially ruining both "line 2" and "line 4", or wherever you have them.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Why are certain players' worst stretches seen as the norm, and with others its portrayed as out of character? What did Torts think of the 4th line at the end of last year and into and DURING the playoffs?

WHO was playing, what type of game were they playing, and how much did they play? WHO was SITTING? How was the team and those players performing together? Legit impact against both TB and BOS. The entire line.

I don't think he will make the team, and I think the folks who expected him to would change their votes after watching some games and seeing that the more skilled rookies are ready to go.

I don't think many people, even those who chose him in this poll, think he will "make the team", whatever that really means. What I mean is, like the ridiculous amount of people who voted Hannikainen, I'm assuming most people accept or assume that the "open" spots are essentially a couple winger spots, 1 very HIGH and 1 very LOW in the lineup. The people who picked Robinson (I'm assuming) picked him for many of the same reasons that MANY people picked Hannikainen, 1 of them being ok with them getting limited minutes and even pressbox time much of the time.

Also, at what point or how many times do people need to be reminded that, "more skilled rookies" (if that's all they bring) isn't the recipe for success in the NHL.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Tex-Dubois-Atkinson
Bemstrom-Jenner-Anderson
Foligno-Nash-Milano
Hanni/Dubi

Yeah, other than the things the team and the bubble guys are lacking, Dubinsky doesn't bring anything to the team.

You clearly don't have a firm grasp on the concept of usage or how Torts started using the 4th line combo of Dubinsky and Nash (and Jenner) at the end of the year before forcing Wennberg back into the lineup.

There's much more to an effective or impactful "4th line" than being "fast and physical" or one that "packs a scoring punch".

With how that lineup (1st 3 lines) is constructed you wouldn't need a 4th line that "packed a scoring punch". You would want a line that is capable of matching up against other teams top lines in defensive situations, as you don't seem to have a single line capable of that. There's ways to manage that with a couple small changes, but, then that starts to open up other "holes" and "issues" when you FORCE players like Wennberg and Milano into roles they don't deserve or quite literally cant handle.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

My ideal lineup:
Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Jenner-Anderson
Dano-Wennberg-Nash

Agree completely with you on Wennberg. Fascinating seeing people continue to pencil him into their lineups, especially where they are. Foligno and Texier are just as good of options at C as Wennberg, at the very least. With that said, my ideal lineup has Wennberg completely gone. The 2nd line you have could be used as the go to line in defensive/tough situations and matchups, but, I really don't like that 4th line, mainly because of Wennberg.

If anyone would take him, we need to deal Foligno away.

This is just ridiculous. And you are far from the only 1 to express such feelings. Same goes for Dubinsky "currently" and Jenner plenty of times in the past.

Sometimes, "veteran leadership" is blown out of proportion, misinterpreted or misrepresented, but, in the cases of guys like Dubinsky and Foligno how much more positivity to the team and organization do you want to be added before you acknowledge what they've done AND ARE STILL DOING TO HELP THE TEAM WIN GAMES?

Redundant players dragging the team down to the playoffs 4 YEARS IN A ROW.

I don't get the Dano part. He's getting outshone by more skilled players.

Is this based on the 1 preseason game they have played, or the 0 games Dano has played?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->