Which Defenseman Will Score The Most Points In The Next 10 Years?

Which Defenseman Will Score The Most Points In The Next 10 Years

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I have a hard time seeing anyone other than Dahlin, Makar, or Hughes winning this long term. Maybe Drysdale if he explodes onto the scene, but I don’t think he has the same level of creativity as the others.
Chabot had 55 in 70 when the sens actually had someone for him to pass the puck too. Sleeping on him would be silly.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Simple. with ~1 year off recovering god knows how many injury’s he has, he’s gonna come back and look better than ever; then have a Lidstrom like back half of his career.
If Karlsson stays healthy, he’s as good a bet as any to score the most points in the next ten years.
YEAH..... not going to happen the guy would be 40 years old an has quite the injury history that Lidstrom never had....

I will say he has a shot, just a shot at maybe leading d man for in pts for a season or two. Especially given the sharks contracts theres no way he does it for 10 years till hes 40 lmao

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Chabot had 55 in 70 when the sens actually had someone for him to pass the puck too. Sleeping on him would be silly.

Perhaps I was a little quick to discount Chabot.

You’re right, he’s not exactly surrounded by much talent on Ottawa. He’s had the benefit of playing huge minutes the past few years though, which provides more opportunity.

Personally, I’d have him below a few others on this list, but he could surprise me. I still think he’s going to be one of the best defenceman in the game the next 6/7 years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Perhaps I was a little quick to discount Chabot.

You’re right, he’s not exactly surrounded by much talent on Ottawa. He’s had the benefit of playing huge minutes the past few years though, which provides more opportunity.

Personally, I’d have him below a few others on this list, but he could surprise me. I still think he’s going to be one of the best defenceman in the game the next 6/7 years.
He literally had no one to pass to and they had the worst power play in the league. He is an incredible offensive talent and right there with Hughes, Makar and Dahlin. I dont blame anyone for not watching the sens last year but he still showed his immense skill.

Reactions: 95snipes

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He literally had no one to pass to and they had the worst power play in the league. He is an incredible offensive talent and right there with Hughes, Makar and Dahlin. I dont blame anyone for not watching the sens last year but he still showed his immense skill.

I’m looking forward to the Chabot - Makar pairing at the Olympics. :nod:

Reactions: bert

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
YEAH..... not going to happen the guy would be 40 years old an has quite the injury history that Lidstrom never had....

I will say he has a shot, just a shot at maybe leading d man for in pts for a season or two. Especially given the sharks contracts theres no way he does it for 10 years till hes 40 lmao
i can tell you who it isn’t going to be. Cale Makar.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Makar, Hughes, Chabot and maybe Bouchard. I add Bouchard as if he’s the real deal like we hope he will have plenty of prime opportunity with McDavid and Draisaitl

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Hard to tell with players yet to appear in the NHL. Of the others though, over a ten year period, age will likely be the biggest factor, making players in the 20-23 range the most likely candidates, assuming no abnormal aging curves.

A few standouts in that age bracket from this season's data:
- Cale Makar (b. 1998): 1.70 P1/60, 54.95% IPP
- Adam Fox (b. 1998): 1.27 P1/60, 48.28% IPP
- Quinn Hughes (b. 1999): 1.25 P1/60, 54.08% IPP
- Rasmus Dahlin (b. 2000): 1.21 P1/60, 58.82% IPP

If I had to rank, I would go with this order for the four:
1. Cale Makar
2. Rasmus Dahlin
3. Quinn Hughes
4. Adam Fox

Makar & Dahlin stand out to me especially in their ability to produce at 5v5 and on the PP, and also, to create a lot of the offense themselves, not necessarily relying as much on their forwards. Dahlin is also the youngest of this bunch, so who knows what potential he still has yet to reach. I also think moving forward with Eichel (b. 1996), MacKinnon (b. 1995), and Pettersson (b. 1998) as young superstar forwards in their scoring primes will be incredibly beneficial over the next ten years to their point totals. Panarin (b. 1991) is quite a bit older, and is the main driver of Fox & the Rangers' offense right now.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
The fact that you responded to it shows you do care :biglaugh:
Christ, lady its puff, puff, pass. the fact I didn't even vote for anyone shows how little I do care its a crap shoot with all the talented young D. What's your probably with Makar?
Your so jelly over Makar that you had to start a whole thread on it.

Also I only started when you said, karlsson will lead d men in points over the next 10 yrs .

Last edited:

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Christ, lady its puff, puff, pass. the fact I didn't even vote for anyone shows how little I do care its a crap shoot with all the talented young D. What's your probably with Makar?
Your so jelly over Makar that you had to start a whole thread on it.
yessir, its not like the thread flopped though... 15 pages and it hasn’t even been a day yet!!! i simultaneously triggered Avs and Leafs fans alike. That’s a FAT dub in my books

EDIT: My bad, didn’t realize it’s at 25 pages already

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
yessir, its not like the thread flopped though... 15 pages and it hasn’t even been a day yet!!! i simultaneously triggered Avs and Leafs fans alike. That’s a FAT dub in my books
Right on, you enjoy Karlsson with that contract, and the other horrendous contracts. bye.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Whoever is healthiest out of Makar, Hughes, Dahlin, and Chabot would be my guess.

Yeah. It's really looks like a 4 horse race at this point, in terms of who will produce the most points. I think if we're talking, "who will be the best/most valuable defenceman overall" over that span...things open up a bit. But for the terms of the poll here, it's hard to see anyone outside of these 4...and probably comes down to a combination of health/durability, and with a tinge of who plays on the most talented teams over that span.

Reactions: Lemonlimey and Love

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
10 years is too much to forecast, 5 is better and also would add more names into the mix. Poor Tyson Barrie has no votes!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
10 years is too much to forecast, 5 is better and also would add more names into the mix. Poor Tyson Barrie has no votes!

I mean, Barrie has no votes here...as he should. Given the criteria of the actual poll, being for 10 years especially. Nothing against the player per se...but Barrie will be playing out his age 29 season next year. Realistically, even if we were talking 5 years instead of 10...a 29 year old likely only has ~4 years of relatively top-end production left in the them if things go well. A handful of years on other side of 30...most players are in some degree of decline. Compared to some of these young guns who are already producing huge numbers, and as long as they stay healthy...should still have a ton of prime years ahead of them.

Like...in the case of a 10 year window as cited by the poll question, ten years from now, a guy like Hughes will be only a few years older than Barrie is right now. That's a lot of years of potentially compiling stats. It's pretty overwhelming really, in favour of the youngest guys like Hughes and Makar. Both of whom are already producing at a huge rate.

You're right, in that 5 years would certainly add more names to the mix. But i'm still not really sure Barrie would be much of a contender. Though recency bias from his poor fit under Babcock and suppressed production may play a slightly unfair part in that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad