Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Cal Petersen is likely the Kings starter moving forward.
Not to mention that in 5-7 years Quick is likely retired... using Quick was a very weak argument. The goaltending tandem in LA will (maybe) be Petersen and someone else... Petersen has shown significant upside in his short stint on the Kings. A year or two working with Quick will teach him a huge amount and with the way he has developed, so far, he’s one of our most exciting prospects. Like with all goalies though it’s hard to predict what his actual ceiling will be.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I do get where you are coming from with this post. However, if Bobrovsky continues on this decline he seems to be on the past two seasons, then I would be skeptical of him bouncing back to give Florida to help them become a top 5 team. If someone like Driedger proves that he is capable of being consistent long-term then maybe the Panthers will have a starting-caliber goalie moving forward even if Bob continues to decline or stagnant around his current impacts he provided the past season. Although, even if Driedger proves to be a starter and small sample size this season isn't a fluke it's hard to see him winning the spot over Bob due to reputation + the money Bobrovsky makes.

I get Fiala has a crazy run in 2020, but I would hold off from crowning him as a 1st liner until he does over larger sample size. I do think Fiala is capable of continuing to perform as a 1st liner due to his strong puck skills that allow him to generate offense for himself and his teammates. Unfortunately, the sad truth is most of these players will not hit their ceiling you presented in your post.

Obviously they won't all hit their ceiling but there were posters saying "Minnesota is devoid of talent" and other BS like that. Simply not true. Kaprizov, Boldy, Khovanov & Beckman are a great quartet of forward prospects and even if only two of them hit their ceilings the Wild will be good with their dominant defensive system. This is a team that always is among the hardest inthe NHL to score against. A influx of young scorers will make them extremely dangerous but HF only thinks about Parise/Suter/Koivu and puts Minnesota in a box. The future is a lot brighter than people want to admit. Kaprizov alone could make a massive difference

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I mean I’m not too familiar with him but looking at his numbers they don’t jump out like crazy. In his D+1 he got outscored by a guy who was taken late in the first round and was 3rd in team scoring. This year he’s in his D+2 in junior he should be destroying the league. I also don’t put much stock in the WJC I’ve seen many destroy that tournament and then never be heard from again.

Those are definitely factors but I wouldn’t be so quick to label a 3rd rounder a steal only a year after the draft doing something that’s been done by other prospect before him. I mean if he was playing in a men’s league and doing extremely I’d be more inclined to be impressed. Their good prospects to have in the system but not high end prospects.

Button has him as the 27th best prospect in the NHL and that was before an extremely strong finish to the season. Its not far fetched to say he comes into next season as a Top 20 prospect. The kid has been through a ton off the ice and his upside has always been very high. Safe to say he was already a steal because his trade value exceeds that of a 3rd round pick easily. Same for Beckman, he fell in the draft despite great WHL numbers because we was perceived as being too slight and a bit of a project. Nobody expected him to blow up like he did this year and he still hasn't grown into his body - meaning he now has upside to go with a track record of production. Most scouting services have him as about the 50th best prospect. Im afraid to say that you are wrong and both of these guys are already steals. They have value that significantly outpaces their draft spot, that makes them a steal.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
It's funny how many people in this thread say some obscure prospects as a reason for their team being top 5 team in the league in 5 years.

Every team can do that.

Established 1 and 2 centers under 25 with a good future young d-man is who should be on this list.

Not fricken Boston.
Ironically, if you used your same filter 5 years ago, the Bruins had none of those and wouldn’t have made the list then as well.

And yet here we are.

Insulin

Jan 23, 2013
Atlantic City
I feel like it's fair to mention that Zibanejad has scored 21 goals in his last 20 games. That type of streak is awesome, but everyone knows that will not be the norm. Zibanejad has blossomed into a number one center like Couturier though. The big difference is Couturier has done it for an extra year and is arguably the best defensive center in the league. It is no slight to Zibanejad, but Couturier is still better.

Reactions: CaptTeneile

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
For us it all really hinges on a new owner that will spend money ,our pool is already pretty deep ...After this draft it should be in the top 3...We should get some grade A talent ,but it wont make a hill of beans if our owner doesnt spend...
No hope until #Melnykout.

He's already used the "spend when the time is right" promise and it turned out to be complete BS. Expecting things to be different this time around is simply foolish, IMO.

Reactions: topshelf15

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
5-7 years is pretty much a lifetime in the NHL. I'd love to see the percentage of core players who stay 5-7 years with a given team, I'll bet it's actually rather small.

The notion that it's that difficult for a motivated franchise to bounce into top 5 role at least once every 7 years probably is not born out as all that valid...when all the numbers are crunched.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
No hope until #Melnykout.

He's already used the "spend when the time is right" promise and it turned out to be complete BS. Expecting things to be different this time around is simply foolish, IMO.

Even if Melnyk does commit to spending who knows if Ottawa will be able to turn it around. Pierre Dorian has made a lot of bad decisions and although they may be deep in terms of picks and young talent who knows how those players will develop. The team has been completely overhauled and we have no idea if they will be able to develop into a contending team.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Even if Melnyk does commit to spending who knows if Ottawa will be able to turn it around. Pierre Dorian has made a lot of bad decisions and although they may be deep in terms of picks and young talent who knows how those players will develop. The team has been completely overhauled and we have no idea if they will be able to develop into a contending team.
The odds of DoriOn being retained by new ownership are astronomically low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad