Which 5 teams will be the best over the next 5-7 years?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Seems like a lot of optimistic projections for a bunch of guys who haven't even played in the NHL outside of Fiala, Kunin, Eriksson Ek and Greenway who all need to prove themselves as well.
I still see major holes for the Wild moving forward.

No number one C anywhere and their defence still needs work. Suter has amazingly remained a very solid player through his mid-30’s, but once he falls off, they’ll need another Top-4 D.

They have a lot on the wings, but centre ice and defence still needs work.

Exactly. The players that Wild fans have mentioned either are not high-end NHL'ers or are prospects. And while I don't disagree with using prospects in this discussion, unless you are projecting them to be NHL stars, I think trying to come into this thread with a clear question, and trying to sell everyone about some mid-rounder that'll be a 2nd line center is a waste of everyone's time. It might happen that those players turn into those projections, but if that's what you are banking on, you are making a good argument for why your team definitely does not qualify for the thread title and should be on a worst teams list within the same time frame.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Exactly. The players that Wild fans have mentioned either are not high-end NHL'ers or are prospects. And while I don't disagree with using prospects in this discussion, unless you are projecting them to be NHL stars, I think trying to come into this thread with a clear question, and trying to sell everyone about some mid-rounder that'll be a 2nd line center is a waste of everyone's time. It might happen that those players turn into those projections, but if that's what you are banking on, you are making a good argument for why your team definitely does not qualify for the thread title and should be on a worst teams list within the same time frame.
Yup. Minnesota will likely continue their strategy of finishing too high to pick anyone with real talent, but not have anything more than a middling roster that can't make a clear push for a cup. Some weird idea of being honorable and avoiding rebuilding at all costs, or something. Add in a defense-first culture which culls any remaining flair or skill, and you've got a recipe for perpetual mediocrity.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Beckman was the best scorer in the WHL, he is not some obscure prospect who might make the NHL. Khovanov did the same in the Q and was Russia’s 1C during the WJC. Boldy went point for point with Newhook after he moved to wing. Kaprizov has dominated the KHL for 5 seasons at a level even Tarasenko, Kuznetsov etc could not match. These guys are on another level from the typical obscure prospects That homers in HF proclaim as the next big thing. They have tangible evidence.

Reactions: P10p

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yup. Minnesota will likely continue their strategy of finishing too high to pick anyone with real talent, but not have anything more than a middling roster that can't make a clear push for a cup. Some weird idea of being honorable and avoiding rebuilding at all costs, or something. Add in a defense-first culture which culls any remaining flair or skill, and you've got a recipe for perpetual mediocrity.
I love you how you think you are so clever and all-knowing but the fact is you are clueless. The Wild can’t tank. They are too good defensively. Even this year with league-worst goaltending they finished 1 point out of a wildcard while selling off assets. Starting from scratch isn’t possible with their roster, you are just stubborn/arrogant to listen to the people who actually follow the team.

Reactions: P10p

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I love you how you think you are so clever and all-knowing but the fact is you are clueless. The Wild can’t tank. They are too good defensively. Even this year with league-worst goaltending they finished 1 point out of a wildcard while selling off assets. Starting from scratch isn’t possible with their roster, you are just stubborn/arrogant to listen to the people who actually follow the team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think it’s because their owners don’t want to lose any ticket revenue that would come with a rebuild.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think it’s because their owners don’t want to lose any ticket revenue that would come with a rebuild.
The fans would embrace it so that is a false. Minnesota isn’t New York, people actually understand hockey here. We would support a Rebuild but going scorched earth isn’t going to help.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Toronto
- Matthews, 22
- Marner, 22
- Nylander, 23
- Rielly, 26
Edmonton
- McDavid, 23
- Draisaitl, 24
- Nugent Hopkins, 26
- Klefbom, 26
Colorado
- MacKinnon, 26
- Raantanen, 23
- Landeskog, 27
- Makar, 21
Vancouver
- Petterson, 21
- Hughes, 20
- Boeser, 23
- Horvat, 24
Carolina
- Aho, 22
- Svechnikov, 19
- Teravainen, 25
- Slavin, 25

These are my 5 in no particular order, HM:
- Ottawa (yes Ottawa with all those picks, Tkachuk, Chabot)
- Buffalo (Eichel & Dahlin)
- Florida (Barkov, Huberdeau & Ekblad)
- Columbus (Dubois, Jones, Werenski)
- Calgary (Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Hanifin)
Most of those guys listed for the HM teams are in their primes right now and those teams aren’t top 5. I don’t see why the teams overall will be better in years

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Beckman was the best scorer in the WHL, he is not some obscure prospect who might make the NHL. Khovanov did the same in the Q and was Russia’s 1C during the WJC. Boldy went point for point with Newhook after he moved to wing. Kaprizov has dominated the KHL for 5 seasons at a level even Tarasenko, Kuznetsov etc could not match. These guys are on another level from the typical obscure prospects That homers in HF proclaim as the next big thing. They have tangible evidence.

That's not how it works. He's tracking well but so were other prospects. I mean let's take an example of a Canucks prospect that fans similarly hyped

D+1 in the WHL

Kole 1.63ppg

Beckman 1.69 PPG

I heard the same story about how he was a lock to be some sort of top 6 players and now it's doubtful he makes the show and if he does it'll probably be as bottom 6 player. These large junior stats are good but these guys are picked later for a reason and one of them is transferable skills/upside. I could probably pull up a boatload of examples of later picks destroying Junior and then struggling when going pro. To me on that list of prospects outside of Boldy and kirill kaprizov the rest are big question marks.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
That's not how it works. He's tracking well but so were other prospects. I mean let's take an example of a Canucks prospect that fans similarly hyped

D+1 in the WHL

Kole 1.63ppg

Beckman 1.69 PPG

I heard the same story about how he was a lock to be some sort of top 6 players and now it's doubtful he makes the show and if he does it'll probably be as bottom 6 player. These large junior stats are good but these guys are picked later for a reason and one of them is transferable skills/upside. I could probably pull up a boatload of examples of later picks destroying Junior and then struggling when going pro. To me on that list of prospects outside of Boldy and kirill kaprizov the rest are big question marks.
This is true, plenty of CHL stars have fizzled out. Beckman seems more likely to succeed given the fact he is still extremely lanky and needs to grow into his body. He is not more physically developed than his peers. He still has room to grow, which is not something you can say about many of these types.

How about Khovanov? He was always touted as a first round talent but fell due to the Russian factor and a freak injury in his draft year. He is destroying the Q and was great at the WJC. Tell me why I shouldn't consider him a high-end prospect?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

D+1 in the WHL

Kole 1.63ppg

Beckman 1.69 PPG

Also let's not forget Kole Lind had both Foote brothers and Dube on his team. Beckman has no such luxury. These details are important when you are searching for evidence to fit your argument

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There’s nothing wrong with getting excited for prospects, but you definitely need to be careful banking on mid-round guys to live up to junior scoring hype.

The Avs had a mid-round guy score 40 goals in junior this year and a late rounder put up 70 points. I still doubt either makes an impact in the NHL.

Maybe I’m too negative haha, but you do see a lot of high scoring mid-round junior players who have a hard time translating that success to the NHL.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
This is true, plenty of CHL stars have fizzled out. Beckman seems more likely to succeed given the fact he is still extremely lanky and needs to grow into his body. He is not more physically developed than his peers. He still has room to grow, which is not something you can say about many of these types.

How about Khovanov? He was always touted as a first round talent but fell due to the Russian factor and a freak injury in his draft year. He is destroying the Q and was great at the WJC. Tell me why I shouldn't consider him a high-end prospect?

I mean I’m not too familiar with him but looking at his numbers they don’t jump out like crazy. In his D+1 he got outscored by a guy who was taken late in the first round and was 3rd in team scoring. This year he’s in his D+2 in junior he should be destroying the league. I also don’t put much stock in the WJC I’ve seen many destroy that tournament and then never be heard from again.

Also let's not forget Kole Lind had both Foote brothers and Dube on his team. Beckman has no such luxury. These details are important when you are searching for evidence to fit your argument

Those are definitely factors but I wouldn’t be so quick to label a 3rd rounder a steal only a year after the draft doing something that’s been done by other prospect before him. I mean if he was playing in a men’s league and doing extremely I’d be more inclined to be impressed. Their good prospects to have in the system but not high end prospects.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I do think I'm clever, thank you!

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Florida (Bob will bounce back, they are loaded with talent and just need to make a few minor adjustments to give coach Q a team he can turn into a contender)
I do get where you are coming from with this post. However, if Bobrovsky continues on this decline he seems to be on the past two seasons, then I would be skeptical of him bouncing back to give Florida to help them become a top 5 team. If someone like Driedger proves that he is capable of being consistent long-term then maybe the Panthers will have a starting-caliber goalie moving forward even if Bob continues to decline or stagnant around his current impacts he provided the past season. Although, even if Driedger proves to be a starter and small sample size this season isn't a fluke it's hard to see him winning the spot over Bob due to reputation + the money Bobrovsky makes.

A year ago the Wild were absolutely in a bad place but much like the Rangers they have had everything go right for prospects lately and it makes for a very quick turnaround. Watch for them to be a Top 5/10 prospect pool this fall when lists come out. Mark my words.

Fiala - first line winger. Was a superstar in 2020 before cancellation, literally only a handful of players outscored him and they all had more support. The talent is off the charts, we are just witnessing him put it all together.

Kaprizov- best player not in NHL. Even Panarin can’t match his KHL and international resume.

Eriksson Ek - defensive stalwart and great workhorse. Solid 3C and a guy who helps you win in big games.

Boldy - dominates NCAA after moves back to the wing. Hard to not see him as a Top 6 F. Tons of upside still for him, still feels more like an athlete than a hockey player.

Khovanov- former phenom fell in draft due to medical concerns and Russian factor. Dominated Q, looks like should’ve been Top 10 pick. Hard not to see a Top 6 C based off his resume and comparables.

Beckman - annihilated the WHL. Leading scorer and still growing into his body. Hard not to be excited about him

Greenway - Huge body with some skill. He should become a 40-50 point winger who is good in both ends.

Kunin - Gritty C/RW who safely projects as a 20-20 guy

Addison - Canada’s best D at WJC and a good bet to be at least a serviceable NHL 3/4.

Then you have guys like Donato, Dumba, Brodin, Spurgeon who are still going to be solid.
I get Fiala has a crazy run in 2020, but I would hold off from crowning him as a 1st liner until he does over larger sample size. I do think Fiala is capable of continuing to perform as a 1st liner due to his strong puck skills that allow him to generate offense for himself and his teammates. Unfortunately, the sad truth is most of these players will not hit their ceiling you presented in your post.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
People picking LA are banking on all or at least most of their top prospects not only panning out but hitting their ceilings. The Kings have absolutely NOTHING on their current roster. Most of the other choices already have established young or prime talent. The Kings need a whole team of new players. Now what are the odds that all their prospects hit? Pretty low i'll bet.

Reactions: MitchMurphy

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Not true. There aren’t many in the league that would take Zibanejad over Couturier. Hell, even over Giroux or Voracek either until he’s shown he can repeat this season.

Panarin is the best player on both teams but the Flyers have more players in the top 5 and 10 across the two.
Zibanejad is better than any player on the Flyers. And then Panarin on top of that. Flyers have better depth and better coaching. But Giroux and Voracek are on the down swing.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
People (Flyers fans) balking at the idea of Fox being compared to a brand name in Provorov. Adam Fox was elite this season, his rookie season. Young d-men can be volatile (as we have seen with Provorov in his career already) but Fox has shown elite 2-way skills and fancy stats on a team with awful advanced stats. I'll confidently take Fox going forward.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
People picking the Canucks in the top 5 are wrong. Jim Benning is still the GM, and our owner is in love with him. Our top amateur scout, who’s responsible for much of the young talent the Canucks have, is also being let go.

Jim Benning can’t build a winning team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Demko develops into a #1 goalie VAN will be a scary team.

Would also help them is Juolevi develops into a top 4 d-man

As a Hawks fan I'm biased but we have some good young guys now.

Toews/Kane may be 31 but they can still play well (Thornton & Marleau still play good at their age), and we got some good kids now with Strome, DeBrincat, Dach & Boqvist plus whomever we end up picking this year. If they develop properly we would have a very good core plus the possibility of signing a Hossa-esque player to make a few more cup runs.

I think it's cute how people think their elite teams won't fall off a cliff in a year or two, it won't happen to some, but it will happen to most, circle of life, etc etc.

As a Chicago fan we went from champions to first round sweep within 2 years. When it comes, it comes fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: probablywrongbut

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
People (Flyers fans) balking at the idea of Fox being compared to a brand name in Provorov. Adam Fox was elite this season, his rookie season. Young d-men can be volatile (as we have seen with Provorov in his career already) but Fox has shown elite 2-way skills and fancy stats on a team with awful advanced stats. I'll confidently take Fox going forward.

Of course you would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad