Which 10 teams suffer the most from their market?

PICK 10 teams which suffer from their market

• Total voters

The Marsh King

Feb 7, 2020
So I am specifically thinking of non-management related negativity - such as:
  • a relatively poor quality city (nightlife, housing/commute situation, etc)
  • bad tax situation
  • undesirable weather
  • being in Canada may factor in
  • sponsorship possibilities
  • poor facilities
  • fan base (small, overzealous, etc)

The markets that have the hardest time recruiting/retaining talent in terms of coaching and players.
Interesting to see that MTL isn't getting more votes. I can tell you that a "bad tax situation" and "undesirable weather" are big here. Absolutely, at times our fans are off-puttingly overzealous. In terms of recruiting talent, I'm not sure if language is an issue for coaching still but I always think back to poor Randy Cunneyworth and the protests against his hiring by Quebec Nationalists. Not to mention that it definitely checks the "being in Canada may factor in." Anyways, glad to see it, but still surprised!

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Interesting that places like Pittsburgh and Detroit aren't getting more votes. I get why, because they're very desirable teams to play for - but those aren't cities I'd be that excited to live in as a player, which seems to be the question the poll is asking.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The Canadian teams and Buffalo.

Why on earth would any sane person want to play in those markets? I would take half the negotiated salary to play in Tampa Bay over Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, etc.

I agree Vancouver is a shithole.
Aerial_Sunset_Vancouver_d3_copy_1bb86ed0-1edc-4cda-841d-0b033ca0bb72.jpg

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Do you think attendance factors in?

I know I wouldn't want to play in cities that don't care about hockey where the arena is always empty. I always laugh as well when I read player and agent polls and see cold weather cities perennially listed. They play a winter sport and have likely spent more of their lives in an ice rink than their own homes. You'd think weather wouldn't factor in :laugh:

Would you rather spend your days at a beach or in snow? Sounds like a no-brainer tbh. Playing in front of no fans would be rough-but getting constantly hounded like in Toronto or Montreal might be worse. All depends on the person.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Vancouver still can’t compete with Cali or Florida teams. It also has the worst travel schedule in the league lol
Travel has got a lot better with Vegas and Seattle in the mix. Still bad though.

I was responding to this comment though: Why on earth would any sane person want to play in those markets?

Reactions: Devonator

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Do you think attendance factors in?

I know I wouldn't want to play in cities that don't care about hockey where the arena is always empty. I always laugh as well when I read player and agent polls and see cold weather cities perennially listed. They play a winter sport and have likely spent more of their lives in an ice rink than their own homes. You'd think weather wouldn't factor in :laugh:
I work in A/C 8 hours a day, still doesn't mean I want to freeze my ass off when I leave the office.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Interesting that places like Pittsburgh and Detroit aren't getting more votes. I get why, because they're very desirable teams to play for - but those aren't cities I'd be that excited to live in as a player, which seems to be the question the poll is asking.

Pittsburgh is known as a sports town, we have everything but a basketball team. The Steelers being one of if not THE most successful NFL franchise has lead to a lot of famous players and celeb Steerlers fans coming through the city for decades. The Overall success of the Steelers franchise coupled with the last 15 years of success with the pens has changed the city a lot and for the better. Particularly in the context of being a desirable city for players

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Pittsburgh is known as a sports town, everything but a basketball team. The Steelers being one of if not THE most successful NFL franchise has lead to a lot of famous players and celeb Steerlers fans coming through the city for decades. The Overall success of the Steelers franchise coupled with the last 15 years of success with the pens has changed the city a lot and for the better. Particularly in the context of being a desirable city

All true. I love Pittsburgh and would live there. But I answered the question trying to put myself in the shoes of a 22 year old millionaire. Just saying it's no NYC, Toronto, etc. It's dark and rainy and cold a lot. Grungy in a way I adore. Etc

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
All true. I love Pittsburgh and would live there. But I answered the question trying to put myself in the shoes of a 22 year old millionaire. Just saying it's no NYC, Toronto, etc. It's dark and rainy and cold a lot. Grungy in a way I adore. Etc

Not nearly as dark or grungy as it once was in the 90s and early 2000s. It's certainly not a big BIG city like TO or LA or NY. But to some that's the allure, they can live in a sports city but walk around less recognized by fans or paparazzi and the media isn't as bad as the larger cities. However it does rain a lot and gets a lot of snow, that is a factor for some. Even Malkin has mentioned not liking the rain, but likes the snow

Reactions: DaveG

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Did they take this on the one day per year you can actually see it? :laugh: I’m from Vancouver but I must say it is the one place maybe out of any city on Earth that looks much nicer in pictures/videos than if you’ve ever actually been there.
I have to be honest, I’m from Whistler and any time I head down that way, I’m blown away by how beautiful a city it is. I may be biased though.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Not nearly as dark or grungy as it once was in the 90s and early 2000s. It's certainly not a big BIG city like TO or LA or NY. But to some that's the allure, they can live in a sports city but walk around less recognized by fans or paparazzi and the media isn't as bad as the larger cities. However it does rain a lot and gets a lot of snow, that is a factor for some. Even Malkin has mentioned not liking the rain, but likes the snow

Totally - not being NYC or Toronto is exactly what I'm looking for in a city :nod::laugh:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Vancouver is a very nice city but come on my dude... that has more filters than an Instagram "influencer"...

I don't really know what filters are, not really into that weird instagram type stuff. Filters or not, there's a bunch of mountains and ocean, which are both awesome.

Reactions: Gravity

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Canadian cities players don’t want to play in-Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal

American cities players don’t want to play in-Arizona, Buffalo, Columbus

Taxes without big city advantage-NJ, NYI

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020

Why on earth would any sane person want to play in those markets? I would take half the negotiated salary to play in Tampa Bay over Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, etc.

You realize St. Paul, Chicago, Columbus, Boston, New York area. Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia all have similar or colder weather than Toronto right? All are colder than Vancouver.

So what you're saying is Arizona, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas, LA, Vegas, Anaheim, San Jose, Raleigh and random team are your top locations due to weather correct?

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020

Great you want to play in Tampa where half the population has Covid.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
You realize St. Paul, Chicago, Columbus, Boston, New York area. Detroit, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia all have similar or colder weather than Toronto right? All are colder than Vancouver.

So what you're saying is Arizona, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas, LA, Vegas, Anaheim, San Jose, Raleigh and random team are your top locations due to weather correct?

Nothing for nothing but you just listed a ton of places that attract an abnormal amount of visitors each year so
I am not sure why you would question weather or not given the choice of where to go one of those places would be chosen.
If you traveled the world and asked people where in North America would you like to visit or move to Winnipeg would probably never be the answer, Calgary is close to the Rockies and has marketed itself well since the olympics so they might attract some people but unfortunately Edmonton and Winnipeg are not top destinations for humans. And in the middle of winter? Yikes

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
Nothing for nothing but you just listed a ton of places that attract an abnormal amount of visitors each year so
I am not sure why you would question weather or not given the choice of where to go one of those places would be chosen.
If you traveled the world and asked people where in North America would you like to visit or move to Winnipeg would probably never be the answer, Calgary is close to the Rockies and has marketed itself well since the olympics so they might attract some people but unfortunately Edmonton and Winnipeg are not top destinations for humans. And in the middle of winter? Yikes

I am not sure what point you are trying to prove. I responded to an individual who literally said he wouldn't go to any Canadian city or Buffalo because of weather. I simply responded Toronto and Vancouver have either better or similar weather. The individual was the one saying he preferred Florida and California to Canada which is fine. I just questioned whether he knew that the temperature doesn't drop 20 degrees as soon as you cross into Canada.

As someone who has traveled extensively in Europe, Asia, Latin America, and the United States I am still confused as to your point.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I am not sure what point you are trying to prove. I responded to an individual who literally said he wouldn't go to any Canadian city or Buffalo because of weather.

As someone who has traveled extensively in Europe, Asia, Latin America, and the United States I am still confused as to your point.

My point is those places are warm and most people would chose to go places because of the weather yes. It just seemed like you were shocked or surprised someone would choose a place based on weather. A majority of humans do.
If you guys are just being palls and having a private conversation I suggest you use the Private message function instead of being hostile to others for inserting themselves into your very public conversation on a public forum

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
My point is those places are warm and most people would chose to go places because of the weather yes. It just seemed like you were shocked or surprised someone would choose a place based on weather. A majority of humans do.
If you guys are just being palls and having a private conversation I suggest you use the Private message function instead of being hostile to others for inserting themselves into your very public conversation on a public forum

You need some warm milk and cookies?

You could of simply read the thread and you wouldn't have responded as you would've easily grasped what I was getting at. People are so easily triggered these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad