Which 10 teams suffer the most from their market?

PICK 10 teams which suffer from their market

• Total voters

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I have Carolina in both polls oddly enough. So many things to like and dislike at the same time.

Living here after spending time in the midwest and northeast, I can see that. Looking at the OP's criteria list:

Quality of life:
Pluses: Weather, Low cost of living, easy commute, good housing market, growing area, quality education/tech area.
Minuses: Not a great night life. Arena is out in the middle of nowhere. Smaller metro area.
Would be great for a family guy, not so great for a younger, single guy.

Tax Situation: Middle of the road. Not great like Florida, Texas, etc. Not terrible like NY, California, Toronto, etc..

Weather: Good weather. Still get 4 seasons, doesn't get too cold in the winter. A bit humid in the summer but most guys aren't here in the summer (under normal situations). Not the best weather of NHL teams, but decent. Of course, "good weather" is subjective, but after growing up in the north, give me this weather all day. Many of the players comment how it's nice going to the rink in January without freezing their asses off and are generally complementary of the weather here.

Sponsorship possibilities: Very limited. NHL is behind college sports (Duke, UNC, NC State, etc.) in the local area.

Facilities: Arena is decent, but in the middle of nowhere. Practice facility has been one of, if not the, worst in the NHL. Absolutely terrible, but a new practice facility just opened which is a huge step up. Not top of the league quality (like Edmonton), but middle of the road at least which is a HUGE improvement.

Fan Base: Small. No arguing that. When the team is good though, the team gets fans. When the team is bad for a long time (like they were for 10 years), the attendance is abysmal. The plus is that players can go out in public without getting harassed by fans. Media is a pushover compared to Canada as well, which is a plus to a lot of players.

So like you said, a lot to like, and a lot to not like as well. I guess there is no Nirvana though.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Living here after spending time in the midwest and northeast, I can see that. Looking at the OP's criteria list:

Quality of life:
Pluses: Weather, Low cost of living, easy commute, good housing market, growing area, quality education/tech area.
Minuses: Not a great night life. Arena is out in the middle of nowhere. Smaller metro area.
Would be great for a family guy, not so great for a younger, single guy.

Tax Situation: Middle of the road. Not great like Florida, Texas, etc. Not terrible like NY, California, Toronto, etc..

Weather: Good weather. Still get 4 seasons, doesn't get too cold in the winter. A bit humid in the summer but most guys aren't here in the summer (under normal situations). Not the best weather of NHL teams, but decent. Of course, "good weather" is subjective, but after growing up in the north, give me this weather all day. Many of the players comment how it's nice going to the rink in January without freezing their asses off and are generally complementary of the weather here.

Sponsorship possibilities: Very limited. NHL is behind college sports (Duke, UNC, NC State, etc.) in the local area.

Facilities: Arena is decent, but in the middle of nowhere. Practice facility has been one of, if not the, worst in the NHL. Absolutely terrible, but a new practice facility just opened which is a huge step up. Not top of the league quality (like Edmonton), but middle of the road at least which is a HUGE improvement.

Fan Base: Small. No arguing that. When the team is good though, the team gets fans. When the team is bad for a long time (like they were for 10 years), the attendance is abysmal. The plus is that players can go out in public without getting harassed by fans. Media is a pushover compared to Canada as well, which is a plus to a lot of players.

So like you said, a lot to like, and a lot to not like as well. I guess there is no Nirvana though.

Exactly, great write up! Plus you have Burial Brewing!

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad