Which 10 teams suffer the most from their market?

PICK 10 teams which suffer from their market

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Winnipeg is the most f***ed of all the teams in the NHL.

Most players and fans consider it a total shit hole because of the cold weather.

Saying it's cold is an understatement I'm from Winnipeg, I love Winnipeg, but there is a difference between cold and Winnipeg

Reactions: NeverForget06

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
It would be an interesting excercise if the NHLPA did an anonymous survey/study of how players evaluate offers from different clubs. Among now 29 cities (with Seattle, and duplicates in LA/NY) to choose from, how much weight would they assign to, if offers were equal between teams, the following criteria:

A. Team fit/chemistry/culture
B. Team competitiveness (likelihood to win a cup or at least PO appearance)
C. Tax structure of city/country
D. City amenities & climate
F. City sports culture, particularly as it pertains to hockey (i.e., whether they care about hockey, whether there are many other sports)

That's something I've always thought of. You can sometimes have big time names making huge salaries in relatively unexciting places, if not downright unpleasant at times - won't mention names but you get the idea from the poll, generally Prairie or rust belt cities with the occasional struggling NHL market in an otherwise decent city - and then you have huge names and salaries in New York, Los Angeles and Miami.

I'm sure some of those players can blow it on beachfront condos with parties on the weekends in these huge cities, while another player making just as much might quietly live in a huge mansion or a penthouse in a smaller, 1-1.5m population city with -5F weather some days. Some of these places have very little "glamorous" or luxurious things to do for these high earners who might be inclined to blow the cash they earned - there might not even be a 5* hotel in the city or a truly upscale fine dining locale. I wonder if an opportunity presented themselves how tempted they would be book it to a "hotter" city's team purely for that city alone.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Can you blame them? Why on earth would you wanna freeze your ass off and deal with insane media scrutiny, paparazzi-ish fans, etc when there are alternatives and greener pastures south of the border?
You understand that Toronto, for example, is as cold as eastern US cities like Pittsburgh, right?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Canadian cities players don’t want to play in-Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal

American cities players don’t want to play in-Arizona, Buffalo, Columbus

Taxes without big city advantage-NJ, NYI
The amount of hot garbage you spew on here is reaching unprecedented amounts.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Saying it's cold is an understatement I'm from Winnipeg, I love Winnipeg, but there is a difference between cold and Winnipeg
I have family in Winnipeg that I have visited since I was a child. I grew up and live in Edmonton. Winnipeg cold is even different than Edmonton cold, despite us being quite a bit farther North. Those prarie winds are really something. Very hot summers too.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I think the Oilers suffer from their market in some ways (weather, location the obvious ones).

However, I think the team may have folded if they were in a different market during the decade of darkness. If you look at Chicago or Pittsburgh during their darks times both those teams were in big big trouble. I realize there were other factors, but the Oilers never really went through that. I mean heck the arena was approved and funded before we even got McDavid.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
There's honestly a bonus to this though. Maybe you won't have to front BS contracts to FA if they dont want to go there. Think of the contracts we (Peg and EDM) have dodged... like the Shattenkirks etc.

Kind of minor blessing when a guy wanting too much money goes elsewhere, only to then turn into a boat anchor.

Just means its even worse when you do land one, cause then the premium becomes a bigger anchor... Lucic...

Winnipeg is honestly fine.
Ya I’m sure Toronto and New York hate that Tavares and Panarin chose to sign with them

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Ya I’m sure Toronto and New York hate that Tavares and Panarin chose to sign with them

Okay, and? The Tavares signing was regarded as not great when it was signed, and inflated the rest of their internal cap structure so they might. Panarin obviously worked out. Seems NY regretted Shattenkirk, since they bought him out.

Does Edmonton regret Lucic? does Vancouver regret Eriksson? Will the Sharks regret Karlsson? Will the Flyers regret Kevin Hayes? The list of bad UFA signings is generally a lot longer than the list of good UFA signings.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Okay, and? The Tavares signing was regarded as not great when it was signed, and inflated the rest of their internal cap structure so they might. Panarin obviously worked out. Seems NY regretted Shattenkirk, since they bought him out.

Does Edmonton regret Lucic? does Vancouver regret Eriksson? Will the Sharks regret Karlsson? Will the Flyers regret Kevin Hayes? The list of bad UFA signings is generally a lot longer than the list of good UFA signings.
You said it’s a good thing that Winnipeg can’t attract free agent because of mistakes some GMs have made, I was just providing examples of why that’s not true, Chicago signing Hossa and winning the cup is another example.

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
You understand that Toronto, for example, is as cold as eastern US cities like Pittsburgh, right?

You understand that Toronto having the same weather as Pittsburgh + 10000x the media scrutiny and pressure to perform in a fishbowl environment is what makes it worse, right?

Pittsburgh may not be a tropical paradise but the Penguins are under nowhere near the microscope Leafs players are. Even in Pittsburgh alone the Pens can’t compete with the coverage the Steelers get. Hell, if the Pens aren’t winning they likely take a back seat to the Pirates haha

YYCLetangStan

Aug 6, 2020
Calgary
I think the Oilers suffer from their market in some ways (weather, location the obvious ones).

However, I think the team may have folded if they were in a different market during the decade of darkness. If you look at Chicago or Pittsburgh during their darks times both those teams were in big big trouble. I realize there were other factors, but the Oilers never really went through that. I mean heck the arena was approved and funded before we even got McDavid.

That’s because Chicago and Pittsburgh have other professional sports teams that the residents of those cities can turn their attention to when the Blackhawks and Penguins are garbage.

In the early-mid 2000s when those teams were rebuilding, and before the Toews/Kane or Crosby era, Chicago witnessed a White Sox World Series title, Bears playoff contention (including a surprise run to the Super Bowl) and the Bulls making the playoffs on a regular basis in the Ben Gordon era. Pittsburgh saw the Steelers, the city’s most beloved sports team (even today) play into January. During Crosby’s rookie year when the Pens were still garbage, the Steelers won a Super Bowl.

Edmonton, like Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa and Montreal, is a cold-weather (to put it mildly) Canadian winter city that doesn’t have an NBA, MLB or NFL team to distract from the Oilers being a terrible product and there being nothing else to do in the city for 4-5 months. Toronto at least has the Raps and Jays. Vancouver has non-Canadian winters and there’s plenty to do year round.

Of course Edmonton would get a new arena approved, McDavid or no McDavid. What else do Edmontonians, like Calgarians, Winnipegers, etc, have to do?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
You understand that Toronto having the same weather as Pittsburgh + 10000x the media scrutiny and pressure to perform in a fishbowl environment is what makes it worse, right?

Pittsburgh may not be a tropical paradise but the Penguins are under nowhere near the microscope Leafs players are. Even in Pittsburgh alone the Pens can’t compete with the coverage the Steelers get. Hell, if the Pens aren’t winning they likely take a back seat to the Pirates haha
Sure, I just think the whole "Canada is so cold" argument is overblown.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Raleigh is kind of weird. Someone on Reddit once mentioned that going to a Hurricanes game at PNC is akin to the state of North Carolina itself, you're driving along through the pine trees and boom, here's this big building w/ an NHL team. While the Raleigh area receives accolades for its quality of life, education, healthcare, business opportunities, there isn't anything that "stands out" about the region that would be a tourist draw. For example Nashville is Music City, Denver is an outdoorsy town, Portland is a beer town, Tampa/Orlando/Miami have Florida Man :sarcasm: DC has world-famous museums, etc. Raleigh has these things too but not like other cities. You're not going to get people to "tour" what the city is probably best known for which is Research Triangle Park. Not a bad thing but for someone who is visiting and wants to "See the sights", there's not going to be a lot to see and do.

That said, a lot of players who come through here come back after their playing days are done and the area is a big draw for players who have families.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Not sure why 100 people would vote Florida.

Imagine you're a player. Realise you're a millionaire. Then watch this video:

Then watch your pay sheet. Acknowledge the tax. Then watch that video again. The understand nobody expects you to win hockey games. You're basically getting paid handsomely to nail sweet, sweet multicultural bikini models and wannabe bikini models.

You can be Don Johnson. Buy a Lambo and drive around Miami Beach, listening to sweet 80's hits.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
This seems like a pointless conversation. Next to no one will have enough in depth insight on each market to use more than stereotypes known for most of them

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I present you with the "Top 10 official NHL joke franchises" presented by HF!

1. The Winnipeg Jets! Woo
2. Arizona Coyotes!
3. and number 3....... Slightly beating out our next organization.... None other than, the OTTAWA SENA-TORS!
4. Edmonton does not win #1 this year, Bob
5. Buffalo....... sabres
6. the BIG, BAD, BJs from Lumbus
7. wow! the Flames have been stabbed in the back!
8. the florida jungle cats!
9. Do not act surprised... OF COURSE the Brooklyn islanders are on the list woo! You go Islanders!
10. MTL... ok. Over Carolina and Anaheim?

alright everyone. its official. pittsburgh is the best city in the world.

where the f*** is pittsburgh at again?

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Not sure why 100 people would vote Florida.

Imagine you're a player. Realise you're a millionaire. Then watch this video:

Then watch your pay sheet. Acknowledge the tax. Then watch that video again. The understand nobody expects you to win hockey games. You're basically getting paid handsomely to nail sweet, sweet multicultural bikini models and wannabe bikini models.

You can be Don Johnson. Buy a Lambo and drive around Miami Beach, listening to sweet 80's hits.

...and you can't experince the city. You can't go to Little Havana, you would basically have to stay in your South Beach
bubble.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I honestly think its all canadian teams. Some more than others. I would probably put Buffalo there and the Islanders. Maybe Carolina?

Its also hard to distinguish between ownership vs market for some of the American teams. Teams like Arizona or Florida I think its more ownership than the market.
The Islanders are no longer thought of in those terms due to getting credible ownership, Lou as a GM, Trotz as a coach, a beautiful practice facility and a brand new arena opening in 2021.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad