Where's Patrick Marleau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I agree with the feasibility of playing an old guy with that many months out of hockey. I'm not sure that I would say he hasn't played good hockey last season; at 16Gs, 21As, and 37PTS.

Those numbers are not the peak Marleau numbers we expect, but those are not bad.

He played more 5-on-5 minutes than any Sharks forward and a large portion of those minutes came with one of Auston Matthews or Nazem Kadri. Despite those linemates, his 5-on-5 scoring rate was significantly lower than that of Antti Suomela or Lukas Radil, and was only slightly higher than that of Barclay Goodrow. He was also a major anchor on his team’s possession game. Those numbers are horrible after you factor in that context.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
He played more 5-on-5 minutes than any Sharks forward and a large portion of those minutes came with one of Auston Matthews or Nazem Kadri. Despite those linemates, his 5-on-5 scoring rate was significantly lower than that of Antti Suomela or Lukas Radil, and was only slightly higher than that of Barclay Goodrow. He was also a major anchor on his team’s possession game. Those numbers are horrible after you factor in that context.

I feel that you are rationalizing to support your viewpoint, but I respect your definition of "horrible". To me, horrible is guys like Mike Brown.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Has anyone actually watched him play for the Leafs, or are we just looking at his stats and advanced metrics? Because most of his highlights from last season show him scoring as a net front presence for some bizarre reason. Couldn't it simply be that he was misused or the system didn't agree with his style of play? Isn't it possible that he'd play much better with players he's played for a lot of his career, in a system he knows, in a city he's comfortable in?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
We really have not had enough time to see if the new forwards are going to be able to play
at the NHL level over the season, so far the team has looked fair to poor up front. While it would
be fun to see Patty in teal again, and he could help for the short term, i'm not sure i'd take the
roster spot from a prospect. At some point we need to move on and get a prospect or longer term
player that can play.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
We really have not had enough time to see if the new forwards are going to be able to play
at the NHL level over the season, so far the team has looked fair to poor up front. While it would
be fun to see Patty in teal again, and he could help for the short term, i'm not sure i'd take the
roster spot from a prospect. At some point we need to move on and get a prospect or longer term
player that can play.
I’m fine with it if he’s taking a spot from Melker/Goodrow/Gambrell/Radil and not from Bergmann/Yurt. But I don’t trust Pete to do that.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Has anyone actually watched him play for the Leafs, or are we just looking at his stats and advanced metrics? Because most of his highlights from last season show him scoring as a net front presence for some bizarre reason. Couldn't it simply be that he was misused or the system didn't agree with his style of play? Isn't it possible that he'd play much better with players he's played for a lot of his career, in a system he knows, in a city he's comfortable in?

I have watched him last season and have looked as his stats. I believe his numbers are / where representative of the way he was asked to play and not that he can't play at the NHL level.
His shots where down as he was asked to dish to leafs scorers, his minutes where given to other younger
players. The leafs dumped him as they needed cap space, i'm not sure he'd have performed to his
6m+ cap hit this season given the above anyway for this season.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I’m fine with it if he’s taking a spot from Melker/Goodrow/Gambrell/Radil and not from Bergmann/Yurt. But I don’t trust Pete to do that.

I somewhat agree. Patty on the 4th line is fine. He needs top 3 forward line minutes and players with more skill as line mates. He's be perfect on the 3rd line really - that spot is perfect for a prospect also.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Where did you get the idea he played with Matthews for the majority of the season?

From the leaf fans.

I have watched him last season and have looked as his stats. I believe his numbers are / where representative of the way he was asked to play and not that he can't play at the NHL level.
His shots where down as he was asked to dish to leafs scorers, his minutes where given to other younger
players. The leafs dumped him as they needed cap space, i'm not sure he'd have performed to his

What younger players did he sacrifice ice time to on the leafs?

Even strength ice time per game he ranked 5th on the team among forwards. Ones ahead of him were mathews, marner, hyman, tavares.

Power play ice time per game he ranked 6th on the team among forwards. The ones ahead of him were mathews, tavares, kadri, nylander, marner.

Total ice time per game he ranked 6th on the team among forwards. Behind mathews, tavares, marner, kapanen, hyman.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
From the leaf fans.

What younger players did he sacrifice ice time to on the leafs?

Even strength ice time per game he ranked 5th on the team among forwards. Ones ahead of him were mathews, marner, hyman, tavares.

Power play ice time per game he ranked 6th on the team among forwards. The ones ahead of him were mathews, tavares, kadri, nylander, marner.

Total ice time per game he ranked 6th on the team among forwards. Behind mathews, tavares, marner, kapanen, hyman.

Right, i still think he dished more and shot less.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011

The good news that the Sharks don't listen to PDB apparently so he should be able to do what works best for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad