Where's Patrick Marleau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Patrick Marleau is currently at home, in his basement, in the dark, with a snuggie, some fuzzy bunny slippers, and a tub of ice cream, crying to himself over the fact that he's been dumped and the Sharks have moved on.

His kids want to see him, but their mom thinks it's probably best for daddy to be alone right now.

I can confirm most of this. The only thing I can't confirm is that the kids want to see him. I have conflicting information on that front.

Reactions: SactoShark

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Patrick Marleau is currently at home, in his basement, in the dark, with a snuggie, some fuzzy bunny slippers, and a tub of ice cream, crying to himself over the fact that he's been dumped and the Sharks have moved on.

His kids want to see him, but their mom thinks it's probably best for daddy to be alone right now.

He clearly is focused on family at this time. I can't believe that there have not been contract offers
and or that he hasn't taken one. I'd speculate he's turned some down as to far away from home
and or he's waiting teams to figure out cap space / rosters first of next Oct.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Almost every team is struggling to stay under the Cap that even spending $1 Million is alot if you don't have much faith in that player producing. A Team is better off using someome from within and spend 700K. A Promising rookie that has potential to be very good is better than marleau at this stage of his career.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Should have retired as a Shark. I don't begrudge him leaving at all, but ending his career as a bottom-6 King or Coyote, or not even catching on with some team in that role, just makes me sad.

There will be a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat when his jersey goes into the rafters at SAP. Something we can all agree on.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
He clearly is focused on family at this time. I can't believe that there have not been contract offers
and or that he hasn't taken one. I'd speculate he's turned some down as to far away from home
and or he's waiting teams to figure out cap space / rosters first of next Oct.

I'm surprised as well. I'm sure there were plenty of talks with his agent by various GMs. It seems Marleau's salary requirements are too high, and the teams he's willing to consider too small.

It's probably unwise for a guy his age to sit out a year.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I'm surprised as well. I'm sure there were plenty of talks with his agent by various GMs. It seems Marleau's salary requirements are too high, and the teams he's willing to consider too small.

It's probably unwise for a guy his age to sit out a year.

As he's still making allot this year i think it's the latter, he wants to be as close to
San Jose as he can so he's holding out for that. We've all seen the rumors on the
Yotes for him, be interested to see if it's to late for him to go there or not.

I should add that teams are working on cap compliant at seasons start, id speculate that if he signs
it will be after that.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
How you liking it?

and what do these numbers mean? I have vague sights set on repatriating to the Bay Area, seems like there are lots of hockey opportunities, yeah?

It’s a lot of fun. There are 9 divisions, 1 is the highest and features some really good players including the occasional former NHLer, 9 is the lowest.

Reactions: tiburon12

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Wonder if he will sign somewhere midway through the season for one last crack at the cup?

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
each time I see the title of this thread, the CSI theme thing starts playing in my head...

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
3bdqxe.jpg

:huh:

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Should have retired as a Shark. I don't begrudge him leaving at all, but ending his career as a bottom-6 King or Coyote, or not even catching on with some team in that role, just makes me sad.

There will be a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat when his jersey goes into the rafters at SAP. Something we can all agree on.

I agree. Pretty sure he knows he still has some NHL game so he wants to play. Be interesting to see
where he plays, i'd be surprised if he doesn't get a team by the first of the year and he retires.

Reactions: SabresSharks

Naki

Oct 8, 2009
Marleau has to be the back up plan for the bottom 6 in San Jose if none of the rookies pan out, right?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Or the more likely scenario. He is useless now and no team wants to touch him with a 100 foot pole no matter the cost.

Or another more likely scenario. Marleau thinks he is worth more then he actually is and is pricing himself into retirement.

Reactions: themelkman

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Marleau has to be the back up plan for the bottom 6 in San Jose if none of the rookies pan out, right?

I feel like the Sharks have enough kids to try in those roles with enough leeway/slack time in judging them that by the time they've exhausted all their options and would look at Plan P, it's going to be so late into the season that it's not feasible to turn to an old guy who hasn't played hockey in over 6 months and hasn't played good hockey in over a year.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I feel like the Sharks have enough kids to try in those roles with enough leeway/slack time in judging them that by the time they've exhausted all their options and would look at Plan P, it's going to be so late into the season that it's not feasible to turn to an old guy who hasn't played hockey in over 6 months and hasn't played good hockey in over a year.

I agree with the feasibility of playing an old guy with that many months out of hockey. I'm not sure that I would say he hasn't played good hockey last season; at 16Gs, 21As, and 37PTS.

Those numbers are not the peak Marleau numbers we expect, but those are not bad.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I agree with the feasibility of playing an old guy with that many months out of hockey. I'm not sure that I would say he hasn't played good hockey last season; at 16Gs, 21As, and 37PTS.

Those numbers are not the peak Marleau numbers we expect, but those are not bad.

I've been told that those numbers come with Marleau playing soft minutes and playing with Toronto's best players. Their fans seem to think he is completely cooked.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

They are when you take into account he got 2nd unit power play time and he played with mathews for the majority of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad